Long term unemployed

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ugly, Jan 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Perhaps as discussed betwween myself and the Frau we could hope to see those of us unemployed for 6 months or more made to attend collecge and train in a suitable skill such as plumbing, sparking etc. This is better than the usual crap in place annd may even reduce the amount of work going to cheap foreign labour.
    Carrot is the quals and a job, stick is withdrawal of dole if you dont attend. Additional funds could be given to those volunteering for retraining after 2 months.

2. Torries talked about this approach almost 2 years ago and was laughed of by Brown as an attack by the upper class on those from working class background. Suddenly, Labour bring it up as a whole new idea to support the working classes

3. Lots of litter and road kill to pick up, graffiti to scrub....

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There is obviously a need for funds but surely tax paid in is better than tax paid out!

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Beats allowing them to continue to draw dole as long as they 'apply' for work. Anyone seen Trainspotting?

6. I lost a job early last year. Was unemployed for 6 months, got a little agency work from November which finished last thursday. Now the signing on process takes takes 3 weeks and they honeslty dont give a shite what you do. I asked repeatedly to be fast tracked onto more advanced ways of finding work they have but not once did i hear anything.

I hate being on par with a smackhead in the dole que.

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

When I found myself without work, I took whatever was going - and after working as a labourer for six months with an agency, the jobs got better and better until I got myself a job as a handy-man, all the while, saving enough to get enough computer equipment to go self-employed. Haven't looked back since - albeit I'm now a shopkeeper.

8. I remember being told, in the early 1980s, (in Thatcher's reign) that teaching something useful was discouraged.

A friend of a friend was a Maths teacher, who also worked "amusing" young people on a Youth Opportunities (or whatever it was called at the time) scheme. I recall it was for people in their late teens who were out of work. He seemed to spend his time with them moving them from room to room and doing nothing useful. It seemed to him that these kids were quite bright, so he got them to complete a test to assess their suitability to undertake 'O' level Maths. They actually performed better in the test than a class he took for 'O' level Maths. He asked his boss if he could teach them 'O' level Maths, reasoning that it might be useful and give them a qualification. He was told "no".

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats why when the agency work ends I dont sign on. I also then feel agrieved when they dispute the amount I state as earned income as they seem to disbeleive me when I say I wont sign on as its too degrading!

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I've never been afraid to sign on, those it leaves a bad taste when you standing in a queue with terminal, junky dolers. I pay my taxes when I earn, so you're damned right I'll have it back when I'm not.

Why deny yourself something you've paid for? That's like refusing treatment on the NHS.

11. wahhhhhhhhhh, ------------NEXT.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No I dont deny myself that I have earned, I just feel better placed not paying as much tax and looking after myself when the work isnt there! The fact that the Gov would rather dehumanise me and make me feel like a junkie scumbag to do what I can without their help is what drives me!

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Send crypto settings over!

14. I have to sign on Weds after a few hectic weeks of 60 hours plus agency work. Place will be full of career doleys who have no intention of nor ability to be employed. I feel as if I am being treated the same, if not worse and agency work is a pain as regards claiming dole.

15. If you have an occupational pension you get SFA and I don't mean cheap rented accommodation. I am not standing in a 'Q' to be told sod off, these people who have and have done SFA, need it far more than you do.