Long term car storage

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by CRmeansCeilingReached, Feb 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Posted in motoring already - hoping for a switched-on ex-pat response!

I'm off overseas for a couple of years, but don't want to sell the car.

Does anybody have any suggestions of camps with spare garages, where I might be able to store it for 2/3 years?

Or any other bright ideas? I've looked online but the cheapest I can find is £50 a month. I know that's good value (most are £80+ per month), but even £1200-1800 over 2-3 years is a lot of money down the drain...

I am reluctant to sell it because it's in great nick, paid for, low mileage etc. 2004 but only about 24,000 miles.

Should I just sell it or is there a cheap storage option?
  2. Lend it to me, I'm a good driver. I'll look after it.
  3. Unlucky Legs- No one in their right mind would lend their car to a woman driver :twisted:
  4. Rubbish. Legs is now a Laydee and therefore unable to drive. :D
  5. seems unanimous across all forums that i should sell it. it's just galling that it's bought, paid for, in excellent nick... but worth less than 50% of what i paid for it 3.5 years ago.

which means when i come back from overseas in 2 or 3 years, i will have to buy a new car all over again... instead of just taking the old one out of storage.

6. do you not have any folks in uk who can look after it for you thats what i have done got mother in law on insurance she takes it for a run everyweek and is there for when we come home once a year on leave and when posting over, i had same problem as you new car nearly paid off take to Cyprus to get trashed or sell and loose money so mother in law was an easy choice. If you dont have any folks then you need to ask yourself is the 1800 for the storage less or more than you would loose if you sold it??? hope this helps chap