Long Range Pistols from No4 s in .303

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Sep 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Does anyone remember those cut down No.4 rifles, just ahead of the mag, maybe a 6 inch barrel fitted with bipods and shot from flying chairs?
    I'm looking for some pics if anyone knows where they live?
  2. I remember them. but I don't have any pictures.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Guns Review did pics of them and for a while they were deemed not offensive by those crusty cretins in the notional rifle association!
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Right sod it I fancy knocking one up, I think I will look at a bog standard .303 first and maybe a 7.62 x 39 later.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I need to knock up a pistol grip so a shortened bolt for that and how much barrel do I need?
  6. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Excuse my idiot question, but isn't the recoil from a cut down .303 going to be a bit interesting?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 300mm minimum, of course ;)
  8. They were highly offensive in terms of noise level and muzzle blast, to the extent that use provoked instant complaint from other range users because you had (usually) a crusty type sitting in a ludicrous chair contraption letting go with a true hand cannon about a metre off the ground with the muzzle roughly on the same horizontal line as prone shooters heads.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Yup you fire them sitting from a low bench, use either a moderator or muzzle break (if you are really anti social) and a bipod! You also need a long eye relief scope, trust me!
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Fit a mod as standard
  11. Almost as ally as the sawn off Enfields used by tunnellers
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I wonder if it counts as humane destruction device?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Stop it, bad man.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. I think it is classed as an Insane Destruction Device!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 7