Long Range Pistols from No4 s in .303

ugly

LE
Does anyone remember those cut down No.4 rifles, just ahead of the mag, maybe a 6 inch barrel fitted with bipods and shot from flying chairs?
I'm looking for some pics if anyone knows where they live?

ugly

LE
Guns Review did pics of them and for a while they were deemed not offensive by those crusty cretins in the notional rifle association!

ugly

LE
Right sod it I fancy knocking one up, I think I will look at a bog standard .303 first and maybe a 7.62 x 39 later.

ugly

LE
I need to knock up a pistol grip so a shortened bolt for that and how much barrel do I need?

I need to knock up a pistol grip so a shortened bolt for that and how much barrel do I need?
300mm minimum, of course ;)

Guns Review did pics of them and for a while they were deemed not offensive by those crusty cretins in the notional rifle association!
They were highly offensive in terms of noise level and muzzle blast, to the extent that use provoked instant complaint from other range users because you had (usually) a crusty type sitting in a ludicrous chair contraption letting go with a true hand cannon about a metre off the ground with the muzzle roughly on the same horizontal line as prone shooters heads.

ugly

LE
Excuse my idiot question, but isn't the recoil from a cut down .303 going to be a bit interesting?

Wordsmith
Yup you fire them sitting from a low bench, use either a moderator or muzzle break (if you are really anti social) and a bipod! You also need a long eye relief scope, trust me!

ugly

LE
They were highly offensive in terms of noise level and muzzle blast, to the extent that use provoked instant complaint from other range users because you had (usually) a crusty type sitting in a ludicrous chair contraption letting go with a true hand cannon about a metre off the ground with the muzzle roughly on the same horizontal line as prone shooters heads.
Fit a mod as standard

Does anyone remember those cut down No.4 rifles, just ahead of the mag, maybe a 6 inch barrel fitted with bipods and shot from flying chairs?
I'm looking for some pics if anyone knows where they live?
Almost as ally as the sawn off Enfields used by tunnellers

ugly

LE
I wonder if it counts as humane destruction device?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Yup you fire them sitting from a low bench, use either a moderator or muzzle break (if you are really anti social) and a bipod! You also need a long eye relief scope, trust me!
Stuff that - that looks a first class recipe for sprained wrists.

Wordsmith :smile:

ugly

LE
You're meant to let it roll backwards

Somebody did that with a P14 action. Mad.

Fit a mod as standard
Brakes yes but none I came across had mods. maybe because in those post ban days a request to fit a mod. onto such an evil device was viewed with suspicion.

I recall being told of one guy who had a custom built object in .300 Win. Mag. fitted with an effective but obnoxious brake who could not understand why people kept having a go at him.

Until he was invited to take up an adjacent firing point whilst somebody let off a few rounds with his pride & joy that is.

Long range pistol shooters are the special people of the shooting world. One customer of mine used three different powders in his .300WSM to get the velocity up in a short barrel.

He blew up ALOT.