Builds Long Range Desert Group Chevrolet Truck, 1/35th scale Tamiya kit with Eduard PE set.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
FB this morning Sprocket, these are LRDG apparently. I didn’t think they used Jeeps, thought that was an SAS thing.
But I thought the clothing would be handy for you.View attachment 609284
I thought LRDG were about recon rather than hit and run. That there is a gunship. Hmm..
Members of the Long Range Desert Group with a jeep armed with twin Vickers Class K-guns, 1942 (c) | Online Collection | National Army Museum, London

ETA - Right enough, jeeps were used and did do some shooting up. Gutteridge and Easonsmith's Jeeps were well armed for the Barce raid.

Long Range Desert Group Preservation Society - Home

Last edited:
I thought LRDG were about recon rather than hit and run. That there is a gunship. Hmm..
Members of the Long Range Desert Group with a jeep armed with twin Vickers Class K-guns, 1942 (c) | Online Collection | National Army Museum, London

ETA - Right enough, jeeps were used and did do some shooting up. Gutteridge and Easonsmith's Jeeps were well armed for the Barce raid.

Long Range Desert Group Preservation Society - Home
I was of the same opinion, I thought LRDG were the sneaky ones and SAS the loud noisy types.

I was of the same opinion, I thought LRDG were the sneaky ones and SAS the loud noisy types.
I had forgotten about the LRDG's adoption of Jeeps to lead their trucks. The more nimble Jeep was able to scout ahead, around or behind as required. As an example, in September 1942, Nick Wilder (NZ) led four 30-cwt Chevrolet trucks in his Jeep to Barce aifield. After destroying the fuel tanks and causing as much damage as possible to aircraft and the airfield buildings, with Vickers K machine guns and a Breda anti-aircraft gun, their way back through the town was blocked by four Italian light tanks. By this time Wilder was leading in a truck and ordered the driver to ram the first tank at full speed, which they did, before bouncing off the second. The truck was wrecked but this action had cleared the way for the other three and the Jeep which picked up Nick and his crew.

After leaving Tunisia in April 1943, the LRDG trained for mountainous territory which the 30-cwt trucks were unsuitable. This is when they swap from four trucks and a Jeep to just heavily armed Jeeps or on foot.

skeetstar

War Hero
Sprocket, if you're interested, there's a novel called 'Killing Rommel'. The chevy truck features quite heavily in the book, as do the lrdg. If yer interested I'll post my copy to you, and you can send it back when you're done with it. It's a good read.

QRK2

LE
This may be of interest to some and goes towards a good cause.

The_Golden_Road_Print.jpg

Latest Threads