Builds Long Range Desert Group Chevrolet Truck, 1/35th scale Tamiya kit with Eduard PE set.

The box body with four sides, now I can add the hooks the right way up and other PE details.
body sides up.jpg

quick test fit, always do a early test fit, it stops the argy Bargy later on down the road.
rear body to chassis test fit.jpg

The original actually looks slightly more accurate, speaking as an Enfield spotter...
yes they both have their ups and downs don't they, the MB in grey, the stock looks too deep above the trigger guard, but the trigger guard in the grey are better, overall the Tamiya profiles are slightly better. may have to do some filing down of the Tamiya trigger guards. They both have overdone magazine grooves.
rifles hot or not.jpg

ches

LE
yes they both have their ups and downs don't they, the MB in grey, the stock looks too deep above the trigger guard, but the trigger guard in the grey are better, overall the Tamiya profiles are slightly better. may have to do some filing down of the Tamiya trigger guards. They both have overdone magazine grooves.
View attachment 608455

Looking at that pic, the MB version does look like the back 2/3rd is the mould of the No4 SMLE with the forestock of the No2. The proportions of the tamiya one looks more like I remember them from range days.

Looking at that pic, the MB version does look like the back 2/3rd is the mould of the No4 SMLE with the forestock of the No2. The proportions of the tamiya one looks more like I remember them from range days.
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but you really are beginning to sound like the “rivet counters” you lot despise.
A 1/24 or larger scale I can understand, but surely at 35th scale and the fact it’d probably be fitted with covers to protect the working parts and a muzzle cover, does it really matter?

ches

LE
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but you really are beginning to sound like the “rivet counters” you lot despise.
A 1/24 or larger scale I can understand, but surely at 35th scale and the fact it’d probably be fitted with covers to protect the working parts and a muzzle cover, does it really matter?

Def a fair point & tbh it wouldn't bother me either way, the quality of the casting wrt flash etc is all that matters.

you have a good point on the weapon covers there, there was a bolt cover issued for the Lee Enfield to stop sand and fine dust getting in the bolt, Chamber, trigger mechanism and magazine, don't think they would have had shoot through muzzle covers back then, though maybe in canvas.

Watched "Sea of sand" yesterday after my 5 k run, required viewing for anyone attempting this kit. All the vehicle mounted guns had thick canvass quick release covers on them. The scene in the movie When they waved to the Bf109 pilot early in the op, and when at the end, when they are on foot having lost all their transport, they waved to the LRDG road watch truck, the gunner had the cover off the Lewis in under a second.

For those that have made this kit, you know the Radio set supplied is the wrong sort, I'm not having it in use anyway, as it's all hands to the shovels to get the truck un bogged, or rather out of thick sand. The PE set provides replacement radio cover lids, one sliding, one that opens like a table for the radio ops gear, morse key pad, signals pad/log. Both will be closed up to keep out the sand.
sliding lid to radio.jpg

blast this old sony cybershot camera, it's done a good job over the last five years, but it's showing it's age, be glad when it's successor arrives next week, a more modern pocket digital camera with a better close up lens, and more manual control of the focus point, aperture and so, better depth of field.
sliding lid to radio a.jpg

the lower lid just needs the pe fittings on it's bottom surface.
sliding lid to radio b.jpg

4(T)

LE
you have a good point on the weapon covers there, there was a bolt cover issued for the Lee Enfield to stop sand and fine dust getting in the bolt, Chamber, trigger mechanism and magazine, don't think they would have had shoot through muzzle covers back then, though maybe in canvas.

Watched "Sea of sand" yesterday after my 5 k run, required viewing for anyone attempting this kit. All the vehicle mounted guns had thick canvass quick release covers on them. The scene in the movie When they waved to the Bf109 pilot early in the op, and when at the end, when they are on foot having lost all their transport, they waved to the LRDG road watch truck, the gunner had the cover off the Lewis in under a second.

Rifle action covers were universally used in all theatres from WW1 to Korea.

There are matching muzzle covers, but these are less frequently seen past WW1.

No1 and No4 breech covers.JPG

No4 breech cover open.JPG

Let me know if you want to get into rivet counting.....

No1 Mk3 sm.JPG

a comparison with the MB grey figure from the kit and the original Tamiya figure from the original 70's LRDG kit, the model kit industry has come a long way.
first two comparison a.jpg

the sun dial and the sand shield brackets both need adjusting to sit right
sundial on wrong a.jpg

the tailgate PE hook and chain have to actually hook up. They do look the part though, worth the fiddle with the magnifier and tweezers
tailgate hook and chain.jpg

with salt over the base coat.... Then a spray of a different shade of Portland stone. Salt brushed off to reveal the effect.
first salt brushed away a.jpg

ready for the next salt layer.
first salt brushed away epg.jpg

OK (no such thing as a silly question) here's a silly question. Why do you apply salt, then paint, then wipe off, then apply salt, then paint again? Does it give a finish showing different areas of small paint colour or what?

ETA - can't see the effect from the photos.

OK (no such thing as a silly question) here's a silly question. Why do you apply salt, then paint, then wipe off, then apply salt, then paint again? Does it give a finish showing different areas of small paint colour or what?

ETA - can't see the effect from the photos.
early stages, it's the cumulative effect that counts, like this.
finished c.png

though I have been informed on britmod that I boobed with the Allied star as it came later.
finished B.png

Did you take any pictures of the seat being painted please?
that's a good point, no I didn't, it was desert yellow, hull red, then terracotta red, then rubbed when dry with a ball of tissue to create that wear and tear on an old leather seat. Better, clearer, sharper, more even images next week when the new pocket digital arrives.
leather seat.jpg

Latest Threads