Builds Long Range Desert Group Chevrolet Truck, 1/35th scale Tamiya kit with Eduard PE set.

I've been meaning to build a model of this since the 70's having made several SAS jeeps and one SAS landrover, all by the Big T, now it's time finally, to build the LRDG Chevrolet.
box art a.jpg

lets take the lid off and get stuck in, the first thing we see, the additional figures manufactured by Master box, they have a good reputation for well sculpted and imaginatively posed figures. The kit includes the two original figures issued with this in the 70's, so I'll be doing a side by side comparison, to show how far we've come.
box lid off.jpg

this morning, the Eduard pe set arrived from my favourite e bay model seller, Jadlamracing, give him a shout out for excellent service.
eduard set b.jpg

a close view of a corner of one of the PE frames. mixture of scale straps and small parts in and around the truck.
pe set d.jpg

the kit jerrycans have also been improved over the incorrect type issued in the 70's, German style.
jerry can parts.jpg

and American types.
jerry can parts b.jpg

I read Private Army by Vladimir Peniakoff, he had most of his jeeps kitted out by a local USAF unit, that took him under their wing as a pet project. By then, the LRDG AND SAS had already proven the small raiding unit idea. But it does show that yank weapons and equipment were proffed back then, little has changed.
box art man with a shovel.jpg

Big Jim

On ROPS
On ROPs
looks great. had the Airfix soldiers as a kid. Tried doing models think i did a US Corsa plane....haha glue everywhere. Respect if you can do it though.

the Eduard set provides for a replacement front sprung bumper, as the original is a little on the unscale thick side, builds straight onto the chassis.
re-making the bumper b.jpg

The old spring has to be sanded off without taking material away from the main bumper blade.
the front axle beam, good fit, but all the Tamiya kit parts, so far, need the mold lines sanded off.
chassis front beam.jpg

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've been meaning to build a model of this since the 70's having made several SAS jeeps and one SAS landrover, all by the Big T, now it's time finally, to build the LRDG Chevrolet.
View attachment 608073
lets take the lid off and get stuck in, the first thing we see, the additional figures manufactured by Master box, they have a good reputation for well sculpted and imaginatively posed figures. The kit includes the two original figures issued with this in the 70's, so I'll be doing a side by side comparison, to show how far we've come.
View attachment 608075
this morning, the Eduard pe set arrived from my favourite e bay model seller, Jadlamracing, give him a shout out for excellent service.
View attachment 608076
Also one of my favourites. Cheaper kits, no postage and fast service; what more could you want?

I never got to finish this one before it met its demise
IMG_0497.JPG

Also one of my favourites. Cheaper kits, no postage and fast service; what more could you want?
£25 for the kit, £9 for the PE set, it's not bank breaking modelling for sure, but lots of fun all the way. And the feeling of Nostalgia is undeniable, even though I didn't make it back then.

small parts, the pe windscreen frames with some clear plastic glazing provided by eduard. the dash instrument facia and dials film.
windscreens and dash instruments.jpg

the scuttle panel has this lift air grill, just a engraved panel on the kit.
scuttle grill enlarged.jpg

the cab back panel has visible knock out pin marks, behind the bench seat back, but still visible, so Mr surfacer filler for that
cab back knockout holes.jpg

number plate fitted to the bumper blade
chassis number plate.jpg

striking through completed areas on the instructions sheet, circling areas to do later on, areas that would not survive the salt technique.
instructions pencil strikes.jpg

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
All looking good at the moment.

Sprocket are the hooks for hanging things from? Only ask because if the load bay is sheeted up to keep dust and sand out, the hooks are upside down.
you are spot on, I've had to cut them off and reverse them, lucky I only did one side before I realized.

More knockout pin marks to remove, sanded and filled. let the filler dry for a couple of hours before it can be sanded flat.
body side part filled.jpg

the filler I'm using is Mr Surfacer 500, great for shallow pits.
filler sanded down ko pin marks.jpg

one side goes up.
one side up.jpg

the other side ready to go on
last side to go up.jpg

"Rifles, hot or not, show us your kit" Comparison between the original 1970's .303 Lee Enfield, and the grey MB rifle. I may use the latter as they don't have the molded on retainer clamps that have been replaced with PE.
rifles hot or not.jpg

Latest Threads