Lonely death of Private Dave Forshaw

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbaldy, Oct 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2648621.ece

2. Rest in Peace mate.

I've heard this said in one way or another many times "The best time of my life was being in the Army and fighting for my country, England"

3. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

We hear anecdotes for the TA being cut adrift when they return but seeing the story of one hits it home.

4. He killed himself about a mile from my house. I saw the flowers in the car park in the woods. Didn't know who it was until now.

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

That is such a sad story. That such a young man should only feel happy by taking his own life is just too much. To feel that the only way to be happy was to be dead - his mind must have been in a huge turmoil.

I hope his funeral goes as he asked and that it is well attended. God rest his troubled soul.

6. Poor b*stard. RIP.

7. Sad - RIP fella.

8. RIP mate, what a sad end to a young soldiers life..

9. RIP: my condolances to his family he is at peace now

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

What a heart-breaking story. He wasn't good enough to be a regular, but he was good enough to send out to a war WITH the regulars.

What a sad loss. RIP.

I hope the MOD reconsider the issue of dyslexia and joining up - it should not bar people from regular service.

Added to this, those in the TA that go on regular tours, especially to places like Afghan and Iraq, should be offered the same post-op services that the regular soldiers get (even if it is too little).

11. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Another article from the Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article2648698.ece

12. RIP fella, condolances to all that knew him

AM

13. RIP mate

14. The Dyslexia issue really shocks me. As Biped says, if he was deemed to be fit and able enough to serve 2 x back to back tours in the Sandpits, why on earth shouldn't he (and countless others like him, no doubt) have been given the chance to serve with the Regulars? With recruitment struggling at the moment, I believe this is an area which needs to be reviewed.
    RIP.

15. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

That got me as well. I don't know what his speciality was but his dyslexia did not not stop him becoming proficient in it. So much so that he deployed twice!