London's burning

Have just posted this on another thread . People running out with their clothing on fire and loads of gawpers can't be bothered to help them .

Must've been one hot strip show!

Friend of mine was a medic in the military, and afterwards became a paramedic type.
Now in his 50s, he is no longer 'front line', but does know his onions.
He arrived at an accident scene one evening when on his way home, and where two tosspots had run out of road/talent, and smashed their shitbox souped-up hatchback into a wall.
He reckons the smash must have happened 3-4 minutes beforehand, and there were a crowd around the car, taking vids/pictures.
He jumps out his car, dons hi-vis, grabs med kit, and approaches - "Has anyone called an ambulance? The Police? Fire service?"
The crowd of mongs look at him like he has two heads.
He raises his voice: "Has anyone called an ambulance? The Police? Fire service?"
Nope.
So he does. Obviously he has all the 'instant' numbers on his phone, thus bypassing the standard call-centre bollocks.
As it turns out, the two guys were both dead.
He did a cursory check, realised they were toast, and awaited the Emergency Services.
Later it emerges he was right - HIS was the first call received from the scene.

In their defence, it's not really an emergency any longer if they're dead.

In their defence, it's not really an emergency any longer if they're dead.
True, but they're not "dead" until someone with the proper authority says so.

Until then they are mostly dead....

Friend of mine was a medic in the military, and afterwards became a paramedic type.
He arrived at an accident scene one evening when on his way home, and where two tosspots had run out of road/talent, and smashed their shitbox souped-up hatchback into a wall.
He reckons the smash must have happened 3-4 minutes beforehand, and there were a crowd around the car, taking vids/pictures.
He jumps out his car, dons hi-vis, grabs med kit, and approaches - "Has anyone called an ambulance? The Police? Fire service?"
He raises his voice: "Has anyone called an ambulance? The Police? Fire service?"
Nope.
So he does. Obviously he has all the 'instant' numbers on his phone, thus bypassing the standard call-centre bollocks.
He did a cursory check, realised they were toast, and awaited the Emergency Services.

There's probably a thread in that, as to what part of human nature causes them to walk on buy. But it's general for every medical incident I've been to. Generally, you'll have a person collapsed, with people literally walking past staring at the body and nothing gets done until we get there.

There's probably a thread in that, as to what part of human nature causes them to walk on buy. But it's general for every medical incident I've been to. Generally, you'll have a person collapsed, with people literally walking past staring at the body and nothing gets done until we get there.
Thread? I think there’s enough material for several thesis on the subject.

Nope.
There was an ‘incident’ with a passenger aircraft a couple of years ago and discussed on these hallowed pages (its late and I can’t be bothered searching) where IIRC the evacuation was delayed by morons making sure they got footage of what was going on so they could whatsapp Tracey and Sharon later of what happened.

If something like this ever happens to you then can I suggest you use the ‘angry sergeant‘ voice - I have deployed it on a number of occasions and the effect upon civvies is truly stunning. You don’t even have to use it at high volume to get people to do stuff - it only works if the intent is simple in nature however. Attempting to make them engage more than two brain cells is probably doomed to failure (a bit like engaging with squaddies as an SNCO really).

On the news just now, explosion and a fatality at a house in South London. I wonder if high prices have revived the old trick of by-passing the gas meter with garden hose? ISTR a couple more incidents in the last few weeks. Over to the ARRSE Accident Investigators.

On the news just now, explosion and a fatality at a house in South London. I wonder if high prices have revived the old trick of by-passing the gas meter with garden hose? ISTR a couple more incidents in the last few weeks. Over to the ARRSE Accident Investigators.
I've seen bike inner tube used. The gas rots it out quite quickly.

Have just posted this on another thread . People running out with their clothing on fire and loads of gawpers can't be bothered to help them .
I hope non of the girls burnt their cocks.

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
  • Residents said they reported a smell of gas two weeks ago and that they had been feeling dizzy and sick

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
  • Residents said they reported a smell of gas two weeks ago and that they had been feeling dizzy and sick
I looked at an overhead image of the damage, virtually every house is covered with shoddy extensions, very little remains of the gardens, I wonder if they are now H. M. O. s, ie shanty Town sublets, with a family friend carrying out the work

Something not right there. I've always found "the gas board" to be pretty sharp with reported leaks. I know London can be shit but I'm sure the same standards would apply. I wonder who the residents actually reported to?

IIRC - 0800 111 999

Yet another house burnt down in South Australia due to a lithium ion battery overheating. It’s going to take a disaster like Grendel before the green indoctrinated politicians start to listen
I saw that and posted the link to a number of our engineers. Especially the ones who work on projects that use girt big Lithium batteries......

One of the engineering managers hates me for that....

Londo

LE
I looked at an overhead image of the damage, virtually every house is covered with shoddy extensions, very little remains of the gardens, I wonder if they are now H. M. O. s, ie shanty Town sublets, with a family friend carrying out the work
Yes . I noticed one or two very stylish looking 'sheds' and wondered how much rental they bring in .

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
Something not right there. I've always found "the gas board" to be pretty sharp with reported leaks. I know London can be shit but I'm sure the same standards would apply. I wonder who the residents actually reported to?

IIRC - 0800 111 999
See my post above, re car crash and 'Has anyone called the police? Ambulance?"

I saw that and posted the link to a number of our engineers. Especially the ones who work on projects that use girt big Lithium batteries......

One of the engineering managers hates me for that....
Lot of fire engineers and fire authorities becoming very concerned with the parking and charging of electric cars in multi storey car parks, however the policy makers don't seem to be listening.