London's burning

Hairy-boab

War Hero
Unfortunately some things are better being kept out of the reach of morons who want to misuse them and make everyone else’s life miserable.
Fireworks are a particular hate of mine. I still have a video on my phone from 2020 in which our truck and a couple of police vans, plus parked cars receive a barrage of rockets that would have put Congreve to shame.
Aside from the fact that the entire Guy Fawkes tradition is very questionable. The grisly execution of a persecuted religious group by a bent monarch and his inner circle or the joyous celebration of traitors receiving their comeuppance?
Why it’s acceptable for pyrotechnics and small scale explosives to be on general sale to pretty much anyone still baffles me, and I see that Scotland has recently gone down the route of regulating. One of the very few sensible things the Scotgov has done imho.
The problem of course is that one man’s dislike is another man’s favourite pastime*.

In addition, it is not clear that the state always has the ability to run licensing schemes well, see for example the problems reported by law abiding firearms holders on arrse.

I’m always available to run a reasonable and highly benevolent dictatorship, and believe that my opinion can be trusted. Sadly others have different ideas!

*although fireworks are a good example of when people start to take the piss. The weedy fireworks of my youth have been replaced with imported artillery that obviously has no place in the UK. Enforcement should reflect this IMV. Probably disposable barbecues are also passed the “taking the piss” limit.

Aside from the fact that the entire Guy Fawkes tradition is very questionable. The grisly execution of a persecuted religious group by a bent monarch and his inner circle or the joyous celebration of traitors receiving their comeuppance?
One of the masterpieces of early Government "nudge" tactics. The saintly Lancelot Andrewes (or sometimes Launcelot Andrews given the 16/17th Century slapdash approach to consistent spelling...) preached "King-James-Approves-This-Message" sermons suggesting that burning Guy/Guido Fawkes in effigy every year was a good, sound Church of England thing to do. (Oddly, of course, burning him was about the only exquisite refinement not planned for Fawkes' execution). Totally coincidentally, Andrewes had been consecrated as bishop just before 5 Nov 1605, and his career blossomed yet further after his regular sermons against not just Fawkes but also the dastardly Earl Gowrie who had died trying to kidnap or assassinate James VI three years before he gained the English crown. Fireworks were the BIG THING in the 17th century - Peter the Great was obsessed with them - and thus old Guido's felony offered the perfect opportunity to divert the new fad, combined with the traditional English celebratory bonfire, into something constructively helpful for the Government.

So, bonfires and fireworks are actually a solemn High Church liturgy... Andrewes was a prominent Anglo-Catholic whose greatest service to the Crown was preaching against the wicked ways of the other sort of Catholics. And lecturing Papist Cardinals on how they did not have exclusive claim on the term Catholic anyway.

The only downside for the Stuarts was that Andrewes' sermons very much encouraged James and his young son to flesh out their Divine Right of Kings doctrine. Which did not work out well in the long run for the son.

(Andrewes was briefly Rector of my home parish, and my late father was awarded the Lancelot Andrewes Medal by the Diocese of Southwark for his services to the Church. I really should give it a clean...)

Last edited:
Or mosques. temples, tower blocks:rolleyes:, refugee hotels, curry houses, poor peoples' freebie food dispensaries with their convenient car parks;), and bus depots full of vehicles driven by the fathers of politicians.
Amazing.

Don't over-egg it.

Unfortunately some things are better being kept out of the reach of morons who want to misuse them and make everyone else’s life miserable.
Fireworks are a particular hate of mine....
Why it’s acceptable for pyrotechnics and small scale explosives to be on general sale to pretty much anyone still baffles me, and I see that Scotland has recently gone down the route of regulating. One of the very few sensible things the Scotgov has done imho.

Fireworks were de-regulated in England a long time ago, not sure about rest of the UK. Before that it was fairly benign stuff sold in newsagents and toy shops.

Agreed, what's available today is horrendous, terrible effect on animals, and a few fatal incidents at storage facilities.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
garden fire caused this womans head to fall off !!!

The decapitated cow has had some deep thoughts about spending four hundred pounds on rattan garden furniture.
Kirsty (who has obviously been studying Aristotle Descartes and Heidegger) said:
I don't think it's worth the price if it sets your house on fire.

Last edited:
This would be the rattan that grows and is widely used in areas much hotter than the UK and has never been known to spontaneously combust, no?

Bet the dozy bovine is a smoker who is more than a little careless about where it litters.

The decapitated cow has had some deep thoughts about spending four hundred pounds on rattan garden furniture.
I thought that rattan garden furniture would be a dodgy outdoor setting bought in Northern Ireland.

Eg: "that setting's rattan, so it is".

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
This would be the rattan that grows and is widely used in areas much hotter than the UK and has never been known to spontaneously combust, no?

Bet the dozy bovine is a smoker who is more than a little careless about where it litters.
No this is arctic rattan, only grows at the North Pole and can't handle the raging English temperatures of over thirty degrees.