London's burning

Had a talk from a Melbourne building surveyor on one of the recent multi storey building fires, the performance solutions using early warning systems etc designed by the fire engineering team were so high tech, they could not be maintained, great on paper to provide state of the art solutions to get round deemed to satisfy provisions but totally impractical to use.
Doesn't matter how much you spend on fire engineering solutions.
Until these:
1642202579026.png

become a thing of the past, or Joe Public stop using them, buildings will burn, smoke will spread, and people will die.

Had a talk from a Melbourne building surveyor on one of the recent multi storey building fires, the performance solutions using early warning systems etc designed by the fire engineering team were so high tech, they could not be maintained, great on paper to provide state of the art solutions to get round deemed to satisfy provisions but totally impractical to use.
Totally agree, and that's where there needs to ber some real thinking between "what's the minimum" and "how can I spend lots of dosh on a whizz bang solution".

Case in point, the new single man accomodation blocks at a Northern RAF base that is now an army barracks were built in the 90's. They had smashing smoke detectors fitted, which after people moved in were found to detect smoke from the burnt toast and steam from the showers. After the umpteenth time that the fire brigade had been automatically dispatched, special instructions were given including "don't have a shower with the bathroom door open".

And to prove the problem is universal, I visited the site I mentiopned earlier a couple of years ago, where we were put up in portacabin type accomodation where you had a sitting room, bedroom and en-suite bathroom. Guess what, "ok guys, please don't have a shower with the en-suite door open as it will set off the smoke alarms...." In that case the local fireys were over an hour away and when asked basically said "forget it, if you have a fire you're on your own".

Totally agree, and that's where there needs to ber some real thinking between "what's the minimum" and "how can I spend lots of dosh on a whizz bang solution".

Case in point, the new single man accomodation blocks at a Northern RAF base that is now an army barracks were built in the 90's. They had smashing smoke detectors fitted, which after people moved in were found to detect smoke from the burnt toast and steam from the showers. After the umpteenth time that the fire brigade had been automatically dispatched, special instructions were given including "don't have a shower with the bathroom door open".

And to prove the problem is universal, I visited the site I mentiopned earlier a couple of years ago, where we were put up in portacabin type accomodation where you had a sitting room, bedroom and en-suite bathroom. Guess what, "ok guys, please don't have a shower with the en-suite door open as it will set off the smoke alarms...." In that case the local fireys were over an hour away and when asked basically said "forget it, if you have a fire you're on your own".
Didn't mention the special 24v detector system, when the techs did the annual maintenance they replaced the heads with standard 12 volt detectors. the system no longer worked, but didn't show any faults.

Relevant to this thread I think.

The wretched, mad, racist, bat.

Just think how happier we would be if the internet hadn't been invented, those outside the immediate area of the newspaper would be blissfully unaware of eejits like this.

Just think how happier we would be if the internet hadn't been invented, those outside the immediate area of the newspaper would be blissfully unaware of eejits like this.
But the Labour Party are pleased as they have found a new prospective parliamentary candidate so easily

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

HSF

LE
I hate to msay it but what happened to free sleech.Shemmade no mthreats just commented on a past mnincident.I malso despise LL 6THINGS ISLAMIS JUST TO BE CLEAR
Ç
Pissed ?
Sniffin Brasso ?
missalighned head dobber ?

Am I on the right keymat for today ?
Coz I'm reading gibberish.

Before xmas there was a decent fire at an RAF base up north, it was 30 mins before LAFS booked in attandance, only hard work and risk taking by the on site fire service saved the building and loss of life,despite this the mod are letting the contractors slash fire cover.
A contractor manager was overhread saying "we are creaming profit off the domestic fire stations"
FOFAD 4 anyone?

exsniffer

War Hero
Last edited:

Latest Threads