London's burning

Agreed.

And Sitex in the windows and concrete in the door. Leave a hatch for food delivery and laundry, making him pay over the odds for both, naturally. And just for shits and giggles, insulate the walls for noise and pump in Spice Girls, Little Mix, Coldplay, The Beatles, and Skrillex, plus Stormzy, Scissor Sisters, Erasure, Ibiza Club Hits Vol 1-20, plus plenty of techno techno techno techno, into the flat 24-7 via armoured speakers.

I'd give him a fortnight before he used the lid of a soup-can to slit his wrists from the crook of his elbow to the base of the thumb.
Fixed.

TamH70

MIA
Agreed.

And Sitex in the windows and concrete in the door. Leave a hatch for food delivery and laundry, making him pay over the odds for both, naturally. And just for shits and giggles, insulate the walls for noise and pump in Spice Girls, Little Mix, Coldplay, The Beatles, and Skrillex into the flat 24-7 via armoured speakers.

I'd give him a fortnight before he used the lid of a soup-can to slit his wrists from the crook of his elbow to the base of the thumb.
Coldplay? Now that's just cruel.

Whoever approves this . Make sure they have to live in it .
Before we get too critical of the reported design, please just remember that the original Grenfell design was built around the citadel defence theory that each flat was a self contained unit and that it was fire rated for at least an hour (due to the fact there were no interconnecting routes for the fire to spread and the outer door was a fire door). That design philosophy worked well for decades, until some muppet put the plastic windows and cladding on which effectively threw the whole design philosophy in the skip.

Some of the big skyscrapers in places like Malaysia have fire refuges, they are fire rated and smoke proof. They also have fire safe lifts which can be used to evacuate personnel from higher floors to the lobby level.

Add to that the fact that designs are one thing, but fully maintained and functioning fire detection, fire prevention and fire fighting systems are a different ball game.

STRUCTURE magazine | The Evolution of Fire Safety in Supertall Buildings

Fundamentals of high-rise fire safety

Some of the big skyscrapers in places like Malaysia have fire refuges, they are fire rated and smoke proof.
Do they have air tanks as well?

I've always viewed refuges as a means to assuage the consciences of the escaping able-bodied.

Do they have air tanks as well?

I've always viewed refuges as a means to assuage the consciences of the escaping able-bodied.
I can't remember all the details but they were definately ventilated from a seperate source.

HSF

LE
Before we get too critical of the reported design, please just remember that the original Grenfell design was built around the citadel defence theory that each flat was a self contained unit and that it was fire rated for at least an hour (due to the fact there were no interconnecting routes for the fire to spread and the outer door was a fire door). That design philosophy worked well for decades, until some muppet put the plastic windows and cladding on which effectively threw the whole design philosophy in the skip.

Some of the big skyscrapers in places like Malaysia have fire refuges, they are fire rated and smoke proof. They also have fire safe lifts which can be used to evacuate personnel from higher floors to the lobby level.

Add to that the fact that designs are one thing, but fully maintained and functioning fire detection, fire prevention and fire fighting systems are a different ball game.

STRUCTURE magazine | The Evolution of Fire Safety in Supertall Buildings

Fundamentals of high-rise fire safety
I also understand that the utilities defeated the containment plan by knocking holes in the seperating wals for their pipes etc.I think that came out in part 1 of the enquiery'

I also understand that the utilities defeated the containment plan by knocking holes in the seperating wals for their pipes etc.I think that came out in part 1 of the enquiery'
Did the missing fire doors and resident's rubbish and belongings piled up in the communal areas also get mentioned?

Did the missing fire doors and resident's rubbish and belongings piled up in the communal areas also get mentioned?
Hence the comment about maintenance, too many project managers think they only have to do safety once and never do it again.

We have a site which is 30 years old, they have never fully tested the fire hydrants to operating pressure and if they did they would probably explode. When questioned the answer was "We've got them, that's all we need to do".

Hence the comment about maintenance, too many project managers think they only have to do safety once and never do it again.

We have a site which is 30 years old, they have never fully tested the fire hydrants to operating pressure and if they did they would probably explode. When questioned the answer was "We've got them, that's all we need to do".
Had a talk from a Melbourne building surveyor on one of the recent multi storey building fires, the performance solutions using early warning systems etc designed by the fire engineering team were so high tech, they could not be maintained, great on paper to provide state of the art solutions to get round deemed to satisfy provisions but totally impractical to use.

Latest Threads