London's burning

Depends how much rent you're willing to pay...

View attachment 571829

And when does a studio flat just become open plan?

1620510283543.jpeg

Last edited:
Legal requirement in flats be they council, privately owned or rented to have a fire proof door that opens onto communal areas.

Grenfell was a combination of f*ck ups.

Not withstanding the obvious that in order to mitigate climate change, it’s never a good idea to wrap your building up in a chimney. Doors had been broken, rubbish was left in communal areas and the LFBs stay put advice wasn’t very effective.

Oh, and institutionalised racism played a part as did people illegally sub letting council houses out.
Typical behaviour played a bigger part

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
When it is really the loft of a warehouse.
I don't think so, the old Victorian and Edwardian dockside warehouses used cast iron hexagonal pillars. The window openings are too high, and the cast concrete pillars and cast slab ceilings shown in that photo date it well into the 20th century. That looks like a modern up date of the converted dockside warehouses so loved by the yuppie, bun wearing tossers, and hipsters that infest wapping high street. :p

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't think so, the old Victorian and Edwardian dockside warehouses used cast iron hexagonal pillars. The window openings are too high, and the cast concrete pillars and cast slab ceilings shown in that photo date it well into the 20th century. That looks like a modern up date of the converted dockside warehouses so loved by the yuppie, bun wearing tossers, and hipsters that infest wapping high street. :p

Wow! Where I took nine words to illustrate the idea you have used forty two and then rounded it off with another twenty seven.
Sorry but I just don't have that much time.

TamH70

MIA
It's a common enough misconception, but in Scotland you live "up a close" in a "tenement".

Point of Order, Dicky old chum, that depends on the type of building. Up to about six stories, yeah, it's a tenement. Higher than that it's a "High Flat", and one lives in a "flat" that one accesses through a "landing". This I know because most of my houses have been in high flats.

Latest Threads