London's burning

Chef

LE
This is what they did, they had their own crews on standby.
Well that's me told then! When did they do that and did they film it?

I ask because I know the Sheds are big but that would deffo give a better idea of the sheer size of them and the film would be awesome.

Found it:

1998_11703_Cardington_spinner.jpg

My dad was an officer in the LFB, don't talk to me about firefighting, when I was 5 I had a spin round in the big office chair and done a blast on the siren.
We had an ex marine who brought in a 7.62 round and set it off in his hand with a phillips screw driver and a hammer.

It looks like one of two of the old airship hangers at Cardington. Built by Short Brothers to house the R-31 & R-32 airships. 1915.
Indeed it is the Cardington hangers, although the first was built on site in 1916 it was enlarged in 1924. The second hanger moved there from Pulham in 1927.
Apparently.

They look like someone has plonked an O gauge barn onto a OO gauge model railway.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
It looks like one of two of the old airship hangers at Cardington. Built by Short Brothers to house the R-31 & R-32 airships. 1915.

Not sure about that. I thought they were built to house the R100 and R101. One of those was built on Humberside but both were based together at Cardington.

ETA - there might have been several other airship hangars on the site through its history.

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Wasn't Cardington a RAF camp at some time?

The write Neville Shute was a design engineer on the R100 at Howden on the Humber. His book Slide Rule gives a good account of the construction, including working at height.

1614291117779.png

1614291472459.png

Chef

LE
The write Neville Shute was a design engineer on the R100 at Howden on the Humber. His book Slide Rule gives a good account of the construction, including working at height.

View attachment 552600

View attachment 552606
The R100 was a private venture and worked, the R101 was the government version and was 'tweaked' a lot whilst under construction with the disastrous consequences.

'The millionth chance' James Lessor is a good read. It mentions the engines were overweight and underpowered plus at cruising RPM they suffered from excessive vibration.

exsniffer

Old-Salt
The report is pretty damning. The company threatening legal action against the licensing body for publishing the results of the test showing that thier cladding was in fact an enormous firelighter.

The report is pretty damning. The company threatening legal action against the licensing body for publishing the results of the test showing that thier cladding was in fact an enormous firelighter.
Well colour me surprised.

Latest Threads