London's burning

@ Roofrat. The golden nail hit. Your first comment was perfectly correct, but then it wasn’t an issue. But returning from Libya my first home with my Parents Was just around the corner in Powis Terrace. Rachmann territory. God but it was a benighted place, yes Labour had shifted a lot of Londoners out before I got there and the place was fillEd with Windrushers and others. I actually saw the first ever Notting hill Carnival that passed nearby. Now my family were to all intents quite tolerant, but when Grenfell tower was being built even he said it was the wrong concept, and he was right as proved by Ronan point some years later.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
You got my first ever dislike because your post is a load of bollocks.

You picked on the wrong project to criticise. Broadgate Circle (Phases 1-3), as with the other 1980s phases, was constructed with regard to prestige and quality. Money was a secondary consideration, hence why the cladding was installed by the most reputable, and expensive, manufacturer of the time. Ditto the architect. Phases 6 & 7 (on the opposite side of the station) were a bit iffy - I blame US contracting for that. All the rest were monitored by me and were, of course, perfect.

On the phases I was involved with, LFB did not represent themselves well. It was obvious that they didn't have a clue about multi-storey buildings and recommended actions that were downright dangerous. It was a long time ago so I forget details but one idea they came up with was to enlarge the wheelchair refuges. While this might seem like a good idea, in practice it would encourage the able-bodied to wait for rescue rather than escape then die as either the oxygen ran out or the temperature became unbearable.

If you want a project that fits your post, I could provide one (or several, for that matter) but I won't as I'd doubtless end up in court.
Very intersting the Building Code of Australia is still some 40 years later debating the advantages of wheelchair refuges, currently they are not required to comply with the BCA and there are no emergency egress provisions for the disabled.

Very intersting the Building Code of Australia is still some 40 years later debating the advantages of wheelchair refuges, currently they are not required to comply with the BCA and there are no emergency egress provisions for the disabled.
Let's face it, the prime purpose of wheelchair refuges is to assuage the guilt of the able-bodied who push disabled people into a cupboard before escaping to safety themselves. They're not meant to realise that, of course.

Disabled are required to get themselves to a predetermined location, whereupon they can be fully evacuated by fire brigade personnel if the situation requires it.

We had one bloke in a wheel chair at work, his desk was on the second floor (for some reason Aussies call the ground floor "first", so he was only one floor up}. As he was not allowed to use the lift when we had a fire drill, he would wheel himself to the balcony overlooking the reception area where the master fire panel was.

The little scamp would then sit there and throw peanuts at the chief fire warden who was standing by the panel, making derogatory remarks until the chief fire warden ended the drill, or told him to F off and burn whichever came first. It was all banter....

The little scamp would then sit there and throw peanuts at the chief fire warden who was standing by the panel, making derogatory remarks until the chief fire warden ended the drill, or told him to F off and burn whichever came first. It was all banter....
Even for banter I find that terrible , burning disabled people throwing nuts ...what happens if the fire warden has allergies ?

Even for banter I find that terrible , burning disabled people throwing nuts ...what happens if the fire warden has allergies ?
If he was allergic he'd have gone into anaphylactic shock and died, then balcony man would have burnt to death. Sometimes karma can be a bitch.

@ Roofrat. The golden nail hit. Your first comment was perfectly correct, but then it wasn’t an issue. But returning from Libya my first home with my Parents Was just around the corner in Powis Terrace. Rachmann territory. God but it was a benighted place, yes Labour had shifted a lot of Londoners out before I got there and the place was fillEd with Windrushers and others. I actually saw the first ever Notting hill Carnival that passed nearby. Now my family were to all intents quite tolerant, but when Grenfell tower was being built even he said it was the wrong concept, and he was right as proved by Ronan point some years later.
Ah, Rachman and, the good old CofE who owned half the real estate in Notting Hill and Paddington,shameful.

I remember seeing the "Sign that never existed" on a Boarding House in Princedale Rd...."No Irish,No Dogs,No Blacks"! The sad part about that is, I was with my mate, who came over from Jamaica in 55 with his Mum (Dad was just out of the RAF,wartime service), we as 9 year olds just didn't get it. Even sadder is, his funeral is at 12:15 today, having succumbed to the virus in a Nursing Home last month. Only 12 allowed to attend, we both joined up together in 65, did 22+ and, did the same pre-release course.

Both his parents and mine were on the same demos against the 'Towers' !

Great memories but, so sad in this day and age.

Last edited:
Ah, Rachmen and, the good old CofE who owned half the real estate in Notting Hill and Paddington,shameful.

I remember seeing the "Sign that never existed" on a Boarding House in Princedale Rd...."No Irish,No Dogs,No Blacks"! The sad part about that is, I was with my mate, who came over from Jamaica in 55 with his Mum (Dad was just out of the RAF,wartime service), we as 9 year olds just didn't get it. Even sadder is, his funeral is at 12:15 today, having succumbed to the virus in a Nursing Home last month. Only 12 allowed to attend, we both joined up together in 65, did 22+ and, did the same pre-release course.

Both his parents and mine were on the same demos against the 'Towers' !

Great memories but, so sad in this day and age.
Then you will remember just how run down the area was and the living conditions were in many cases squalid, before it became a “desirable area”. Bearing in mind my own experiences, they might just as well have added “no Germans” although it was obviously not that common. Condolences on your loss. I remember hearing about the demos and had probably moved since then.

Then you will remember just how run down the area was and the living conditions were in many cases squalid, before it became a “desirable area”. Bearing in mind my own experiences, they might just as well have added “no Germans” although it was obviously not that common. Condolences on your loss. I remember hearing about the demos and had probably moved since then.
Yes, at the time the CofE was taking a real ear bashing because of the state of their rented properties and, the amount of revenue they were generating.

The desirabilty spilled over from Bayswater and has slowly made its way down the old North Ken. side of Holland Pk Ave! it's happening all across West London, houses going for telephone numbers, locals being priced out of an already grossly inflated market, one of the reasons I didn't go back on leaving the Forces !

Yes, at the time the CofE was taking a real ear bashing because of the state of their rented properties and, the amount of revenue they were generating.

The desirabilty spilled over from Bayswater and has slowly made its way down the old North Ken. side of Holland Pk Ave! it's happening all across West London, houses going for telephone numbers, locals being priced out of an already grossly inflated market, one of the reasons I didn't go back on leaving the Forces !
Ah leafy Holland Park. That was my first school here- put me off teachers for life, but I did enjoy the Commonwealth institute. I think it’s gone now.

Ah leafy Holland Park. That was my first school here- put me off teachers for life, but I did enjoy the Commonwealth institute. I think it’s gone now.
Yup, Great art gallery there.

I used to take a short cut past the School and, down through the park sometimes, on my way home from my paper round in Kensington. Hated the boody peacocks during the Summer, could hear 'em miles away ! :mrgreen:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

I used to take a short cut past the School and, down through the park sometimes, on my way home from my paper round in Kensington. Hated the boody peacocks during the Summer, could hear 'em miles away ! :mrgreen:
I don't know about now but there used to be a little restaurant just off the main road in Addison where I used to take a young lady from the F.A.N.Y. It was a nice area then.

The local trees near Holland Park Comp were regularly decorated with school caps IRC and the occasional tie.

Except.

That only applied at the moment of completion - from then on, the concrete partitions would age and deteriorate.

Factor in the standard of construction and the rate of deterioration would be alarming.

A good example of this would be the majority of the buildings forming Broadgate Circle. The design favoured at the time featured fire refuges and escapes at the cardinal points of the building. The regulation at the time required 2 minutes protection from flame and (something like) 90 seconds from smoke.

When on a Fire Safety walkabout with a retired LFB ADO 'consultant', he was scathing about the visible deterioration of the construction and, in his view, he believed that the things were no better than vertical mortuaries, after 60 seconds.

Which was a cheery thought.
Agree, and of course the whole shebang has probably been voided by tenants putting nice new plastic front doors on to replace the fire rated but ugly things that were originally fitted.

However, the reason the fire spread so quickly was a combination of the plastic windows allowing flames to enter the cladding, so remove the cladding and at least the speed of the spread would be reduced.

Latest Threads