London's burning

JRM was absolutely spot on, if you are in a tower block and there is a fire in it, common sense tells you to ignore the fire brigades advice and get the hell out of there.
Trouble is people are bloody bad at assessing risk and what to do. Hands up anyone who has used a fork to get a jammed piece of bread out of a toaster... you did remember to unplug it first, right?

My favourite demonstration of failure to asses risk is the Enschende fireworks factory explosion, there's quite a few videos of it on Youtube. It usually starts off with lots of people standing around looking at the smoke coming from a fireworks factory, and this includes people who worked and lived and worked next to it, then there's a very big BANG followed by the shaky cam effect as they start making swastika shapes.

I've seen it with my own two eyes. A car was on fire, and had rolled down the road as the brakes melted. It was now next to a bus stop. Do you:
A) Walk past said burning and exploding vehicle?
B) Stand at the bus stop awaiting the bus that is never going to arrive?
c) All of the above?

I actually had to get round the site and prevent people from doing A and B and herd them away. So they moved to the other side of the road and tried to go around. Luckily, a recovery truck had arrived before the Fire Brigade and he blocked the road to cars, and dismounted and took care of the other side of the path.

The same bloke who phoned 999 straight away, woke up his neighbours, then had the presence of mind to switch off the electricity in the flat before he left?
He switched the electric off? No wonder the first team couldn't tell the fire was out with no lighting to help them see, only the flickering coming through the window.

Seadog

ADC
Reference the standing room only outrage bus, destination JRM: a letter in today’s ink and paper ‘Scotsman’

I paraphrase:

I’d have ignored the Fire Brigade and got out, as did several people alive today. Should they apologise?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
JRM was absolutely spot on, if you are in a tower block and there is a fire in it, common sense tells you to ignore the fire brigades advice and get the hell out of there.

The elephant in the room is the bloke whose flat caught fire and never raised the alarm. It should be him hauled over the coals not LFB.
They've got to find him first!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The same bloke who phoned 999 straight away, woke up his neighbours, then had the presence of mind to switch off the electricity in the flat before he left?
And has not been since, not even to "claim" the aid that those not even involved with Grenfell have taken advantage of!

There has been a call for JRM to resign. Did anyone say Doreen Lawrence should resign for accusing LFB of racism?
Yes, a petition was started, no worth now with the dissolving of democracy sorry, parliament.

I saw an apology, sourced from a Yorkshire newspaper but as with Ruse Mong, the apology does nothing to address the rot underneath.

And Emma Dent Coad (and Co's) It was all the Tories what done it - any criticism directed elsewhere is fake news - victim blaming - trying to blame LFB - seems to have finally backfired - at least here those affected are concerned - I dare say those who read only the Canary and AAV will still be following the "real" truth

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
And Emma Dent Coad (and Co's) It was all the Tories what done it - any criticism directed elsewhere is fake news - victim blaming - trying to blame LFB - seems to have finally backfired - at least here those affected are concerned - I dare say those who read only the Canary and AAV will still be following the "real" truth

Just in time for the election. Marvellous.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DB_Cooper Army Reserve 279
MoD_RSS Royal Air Force 0
Mr_Fingerz The Intelligence Cell 76

Latest Threads