London's burning

Blogg

LE
Pfft, timber framing eh? They'll never last. Look at this dump

View attachment 412350

Timber frame and only bult 700 years but look at the state of it already eh, eh? A disgrace is what it is.

Seasoned timber of substantial size built into a draughty breathable structure by craftsmen versus cheapest, lowest permitted spec. softwood, mdf and crappy membranes flung up on site in drizzle by wood butchers, then covered in ropey cladding or render and all enclosing a highly insulated, warm, often poorly ventilated "energy efficient" structure prone to creating condensation on (and worse within) it's outer fabric in cold weather.

Local new build help to buy grot boxes first occupied in April 2018 were evacuated this January for "remedial works" as they were all plagued by Black Mould of type that is seriously bad for health.

Seasoned timber of substantial size built into a draughty breathable structure by craftsmen versus cheapest, lowest permitted spec. softwood, mdf and crappy membranes flung up on site in drizzle by wood butchers, then covered in ropey cladding or render and all enclosing a highly insulated, warm, often poorly ventilated "energy efficient" structure prone to creating condensation on (and worse within) it's outer fabric in cold weather.

Local new build help to buy grot boxes first occupied in April 2018 were evacuated this January for "remedial works" as they were all plagued by Black Mould of type that is seriously bad for health.
So the argument isn't about timber frame per se, but about standards? Same can be said about bricks and mortar. It's not the materials, it's the workmanship and some of the half-arsed jobs I've seen on sites would make your eyes water.

Blogg

LE
So the argument isn't about timber frame per se, but about standards? Same can be said about bricks and mortar. It's not the materials, it's the workmanship and some of the half-arsed jobs I've seen on sites would make your eyes water.
I think so: proper design, quality of materials and standards of workmanship.

In theory no reason why a timber frame property is of itself automatically a disaster. But all too often they are

The "traditional" constructions can be just as much of a shitshow

Common feature is new build get it done cheap, sell via help to buy ASAP and don't give a toss.

Some of the CLT and Glulam stuff being done just now is stunning, real craftsmanship at the design phase producing brilliant results.

Mind you, regular timber frame has the ability to be good, most of the work is done in a factory in perfect conditions so if it's shoddy it's because they don't care. I look after 10 factories - most are fine but there are a couple I would never buy from.

That and lack of through ventilation.Everyone is seemingly obsessed with 'keeping the cold out' and forget about proper air flow.

Some of the CLT and Glulam stuff being done just now is stunning, real craftsmanship at the design phase producing brilliant results.

Mind you, regular timber frame has the ability to be good, most of the work is done in a factory in perfect conditions so if it's shoddy it's because they don't care. I look after 10 factories - most are fine but there are a couple I would never buy from.
They make timber frames for housing in one of the workshops at my jail.
You wouldn't buy from there either.

I see lots of timber frame/timber housing in the US & the older stuff is generally outstanding (my mate's 1942 timber frame/stucco is as solid as anything block built.
The modern builds are plainly intended to last as long as the mortgage & that's it; shit foundations, wall movement, insufficient load bearing strength...
As for fire resistance...
1rofl.gif

I see lots of timber frame/timber housing in the US & the older stuff is generally outstanding (my mate's 1942 timber frame/stucco is as solid as anything block built.
The modern builds are plainly intended to last as long as the mortgage & that's it; shit foundations, wall movement, insufficient load bearing strength...
As for fire resistance...View attachment 412499

Is this the same company that builds timber frame houses in the area known as "Tornado alley" WTF are you septics thinking about, If I lived in the worlds most tornado prone area, I would be in a solid steel reinforced concrete brick faced structure, not some flimsy timber framed shack...............just a random thought!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DB_Cooper Army Reserve 279
MoD_RSS Royal Air Force 0
Mr_Fingerz The Intelligence Cell 76

Latest Threads