London's burning

Parliament. Burn it down while they're in session. Another five squids from me says you won't.

I think incident command may be suffering because people are not familiar with Building Construction and fire protection.

How can you DRA a burning structure when you’re not familiar with what it’s built from?
Absolutely agree. The word is that ops crews going back to some sort of fire safety inspection/re-inspection regime is on the horizon, with at the very least extra training and input on fire protection/building construction. I believe that in some areas, ops crews have already gone back to doing premises inspections. It will be interesting to see what recommendations come out of the inquiry in due course.

Last edited:
This is what I don't understand. Building regs and bye-laws developed over +100 years, often in response to tragedies, but now in the 21st Century hotels and residential homes can burn out in such a short time.

It wouldn't surprise me it the whole internal construction is timber frame, possibly insulated/ sound proofed with the same type of panels as Grenfell Tower......

The now lax regulatory framework means that any number of definitions can be applied to a structure and as we all know, the cheapest will be chosen rather than the most appropriate.

National Motorcycle Museum being a case in point. The owner managed to get it defined as an exhibition centre rather than the museum or conference centre that it was. This meant that it did not require sprinklers and only a rudimentary alarm system. On it's own not a problem, there is a fire station half a mile away*. The secondary consequence was that there was no need to upgrade the water supplies. The irony of a 36" main a few hundred yards away with no hydrants on it meant the building was nearly lost. The only thing that did save it was a light portable pump from the ornate pond in the middle quadrangle.

*I was sat in the office at the fire station with my feet up on the desk watching it burn.

TamH70

MIA
It wouldn't surprise me it the whole internal construction is timber frame, possibly insulated/ sound proofed with the same type of panels as Grenfell Tower......
There is a new block of apartment buildings about half a kilometre away from me that I would have to be forced at gunpoint to live in as they were built exactly like that. Timber frame, single facing brick and breezeblocks with low-rent insulation panels. They look nice and all that but looks don't trump safety IMHO.

I was talking to a Station Manager from one of SFRS's Glasgow sites at a fire safety consultation meeting at a conference centre in the city a while ago and he implied that his service hates them, would stop them being built if they could but they've not got the power to do so. He also said that the only reason why blocks like that keep getting constructed is that they are cheap.

I also found out that there are four apartment blocks and commercial buildings in Glasgow with the same sort of cladding that went woof! at Grenfell, though none are in public sector housing. Since Grenfell, they've had an extra pump dedicated to them in the event of a fire.

In the eighties we would do a routine certification inspection and give them all the wedges we found with a “Stern word” at the end.

Since Regulatory Reform that just doesn’t happen...

I could burn down any place if I wedged five fire doors.
I once removed door wedges and was threatened with the plod being called for theft WTAF

I ******* detest timber framing. Stick-built shite. It's only a matter of time until they start using it in highrises. What could possibly go wrong, eh?

I once removed door wedges and was threatened with the plod being called for theft WTAF
Who the **** uses door wedges? Everyone I know props open fire doors with fire extinguishers.

Nothing wrong with wedging fire doors open, as long as it is for the minimum time necessary by sensible people.
Fire exit doors need propping open all the time otherwise you can't get back in when you are outside.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DB_Cooper Army Reserve 279
MoD_RSS Royal Air Force 0
Mr_Fingerz The Intelligence Cell 76

Latest Threads