London's burning

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
This is a classic case of officials being more scared of being labelled racist or other such label if they refused payments. I would not be in the least bit surprised if the paying officers had instructions to pay out claims immediately without anything other than a basic check and that they will be investigated later.

No doubt the investigation, trial and punishment will cost the taxpayer a great deal more than was claimed. Temptation should not have been dangled in front of community as it is clear what would, and indeed did, happen.

This is a classic case of officials being more scared of being labelled racist or other such label if they refused payments. I would not be in the least bit surprised if the paying officers had instructions to pay out claims immediately without anything other than a basic check and that they will be investigated later.

No doubt the investigation, trial and punishment will cost the taxpayer a great deal more than was claimed. Temptation should not have been dangled in front of community as it is clear what would, and indeed did, happen.
It's easier to investigate and arrest afterwards than prevent.

Look at the 2010 riots. Don't you think a robust and effective smacking of the first mob of vandals would have prevented the follow on looting that spread around the country? Most other looting and Rioting in the UK's history was met by the police smashing a few faces in (or running over someone with a police horse). The looting and disorder failed to spread. I know it's not scientifically accurate, or following on from the police's new attitude of molly coddling the Criminals, but it seems to have worked!
We're not talking about intelligent people here, just people who work day to day. When they see a lack of response then they'll go out and do it with no regards for the long term consequences.

Tbh it seems like even basic checks were not carried out. Some of flat #s didn't even exist. The ones that did a quick check on the CT register for the building would establish who was registered there. Seems like they just handed over cash on the nod.

Another one it does not the news or the papers now

Man jailed for fraud offences
That’s the shocker for me - why are we just getting the one side (sob story) of this reported by the main stream media - there are countless hours and days devoted to reporting the grief fest (understandably so, I’m not dissing it), but you have to search for the down side of the story - the false claims, renting out of council properties etc.
Hopefully some heads will roll for the sheer negligence aspect of this saga, but I would also like to see more honest reporting and action by the authorities to cut down on this fraud abuse. We are talking about one block of flats here - just imagine the level of systematic abuse of the welfare system that is going on right now and the authorities are terrified of gripping it because of the potential accusation of racism. What a shambles.

BBC2 The Fires that Foretold Grenfell

BBC iPlayer - The Fires that Foretold Grenfell

1540946615239.jpeg

Not comfortable viewing. Significant fires through various Governments of both main parties and the failure to take sufficient heed of the issues.

Reduction of regulations
Cladding with moisture ventilation space that acted as a chimney - water sprayed on this bounced off and couldn't reach the fire within the cladding itself.
Revised advice on cladding required only simulated testing, not physical combustion tests.
Cladding with a two minute fire resistance was legal...so they installed it.
Advice to stay in flats assuming they are hermetically sealed - they were not.
Councils had fitted false ceilings which acted as a conduit for fire.
Sprinklers were recommended but not mandatory, so costs were skimped.

A woeful tale of ignorance, complacency, short cuts and out of date advice.

In one fire a family initially took advice to stay put but then took shelter with another family, until they saw smoke coming through a vent. They were saved by going to the balcony. The other family all died. A young woman who had dialled 999 was told to stay in her flat. Se called a few times and was given the same advice, then flames started coming through the floor. The emergency operators voice can be heard asking the lass to respond then says the phone has gone. Shocking. 40 minutes earlier she was thinking of leaving the flat but was advised to stay put.

Last edited:
It seems that the group hasn't quite understood bonfire night and the burning of the Guy.

The group said: "This is clearly a hate crime and as a society we should never tolerate these types of blatant acts of hatred.

In times gone by they used real people.

I honestly have no idea what laws they have broken, if any

Not a lawyer, but as it appears the act occurred in a private garden and amongst willing participants any offence will likely be under the Communications Act for transmitting a 'grossly offensive' message, ie. uploading a video to social media. There is a precedent where someone got three months for uploading photos of Grenfell dead to Facebook. Notable in this case was the rapidity of conviction: the fire occurred on 14 June and the case was heard two days later. Also, more famously Mark Meechan was prosecuted under this law for uploading a video of his dog doing a Nazi salute.

Not a lawyer, but as it appears the act occurred in a private garden and amongst willing participants any offence will likely be under the Communications Act for transmitting a 'grossly offensive' message, ie. uploading a video to social media. There is a precedent where someone got three months for uploading photos of Grenfell dead to Facebook. Notable in this case was the rapidity of conviction: the fire occurred on 14 June and the case was heard two days later. Also, more famously Mark Meechan was prosecuted under this law for uploading a video of his dog doing a Nazi salute.
You could well be right, I honestly haven't a clue, but I'm not sure how taking the p!ss is breaking the law

You could well be right, I honestly haven't a clue, but I'm not sure how taking the p!ss is breaking the law
I am sure they will shoe horn some law to find them guilty, meanwhile Twitter is busy tracking them down so they can be exposed, found guilty and their employers forced to sack them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DB_Cooper Army Reserve 227
MoD_RSS Royal Air Force 0
Mr_Fingerz The Intelligence Cell 76