London's burning

Fun fact most buildings don't actually have 100% correct fire signs. But its such a minor thing no one ever gives a toss about it.
You're possibly correct, my comment was just me being a pi55 taking cnut about how 60 plus of them may not have been able to read the Fire exit signs as they was written in a language that they couldn't understand and didn't have a '£££ 's this way' sign next to it ...

Last edited:
As an extension of your fun fact...

A lot of doors are marked (correctly) "Fire Door - Keep Shut" but many building occupiers don't realise that there's a subtle difference between "Fire Door" and "Fire Exit".

Not to worry, they'll realise when they attempt to escape through a broom cupboard.
Ironically iirc one of the reports stated that the only (possible not definate) survivable areas were the bin chute rooms. A bloke I went to school with runs an outfit that installs and maintains them (not at Grenfell, mainly in Europe) and they have for years insisted on serious heavy duty fire doors in all the entrances to the chutes as well as regular high pressure cleaning and smoke bomb tests to check the smoke seals as part of the package. Apparently enriching sorts have a habit of just chucking their food waste straight down the chute rather than bagging it so the chutes get covered with dried on food waste that has potential to carry fire quickly up the chute. He said when the maintenance contracts are up after iirc 5 years if they don't renew the building owner gets a long list of stuff that will need doing to keep the chutes safe with a large print exec summary at the front which basically says if you don't do all of this and your building burns down don't say you were not warned, sign here to acknowledge you understand this.

Last edited:
Simple. Don't mark fire doors other than "Keep Shut".
Truth is that you can go to most office blocks, leaseholder only blocks or scrotey estates, seemingly being used by self proclaimed intelligent people and find fire and other doors marked 'keep shut', propped open, and the last person to go through it will pass and leave it as it is due to being idle fuckwits.

Me, being an arrse, always close them , only because I know that it will annoy some tw@t

Last edited:
Truth is that you can go to most office blocks, leaseholder only blocks or scrotey estates, seemingly being used by self proclaimed intelligent people and find fire and other doors marked 'keep shut', propped open, and the last person to go through it will pass and leave it as it is due to being idle fuckwits.

Me, being an arrse, always close them , only because I know that it will annoys some tw@t
I've been working in Schools for six years now & propping of fire doors is very common - often using a handy fire extinguisher lifted from its bracket/stand for the purpose. I go round confiscating door stops & wedges, but they always come back.

A fellow bursar at a local School allows the cleaners to have wedges, but they have each individual cleaner's name on them. If one is found holding a fire door open, or outside the cleaning cupboard when work done, it's a disciplinary offence.

Don't get me started on daisy-chaining 4-way extension leads, or using drum extension leads coiled up for extended periods...

I don't know about Latin but the spelling and grammar are incorrect.

It should read "Striker and Rampart ate Al."

I presume that Striker and Rampart are cannibals. Other than being lunch, I don't know who Al was.
Pleasant chap. Owns a snack bar somewhere IIRC.

Me, being an arrse, always close them , only because I know that it will annoy some tw@t
I know of one large old MOD building that even had ornate hook and eyes on the fire doors, EM showed up and the fire spread unchecked down the corridor result total loss, as luck had it for the JNCO fire officer, he had numerus copies of his reports memos and warnings demanding they be removed, stashed away at home, his mums house, and buried by a oak tree just in case.

I must admit to being a bit confused now.

Didn't one of the reports early in the thread say that the firefighters attending the initial incident reported that the fire was extinguished and it was not until they exited the building that it was noticed that flames were creeping up the outside of the building? This being the time that residents were being urged to go back to their flats.

Now it seems that the incident logs say that control were aware of the external fire but decided not to do anything about it because of the presence of a BA team.

Once all the facts have been separated from rumours, this has the potential for a really interesting book in a way that a documentary just wouldn't really do it justice.

Didn't one of the reports early in the thread say that the firefighters attending the initial incident reported that the fire was extinguished and it was not until they exited the building that it was noticed that flames were creeping up the outside of the building? This being the time that residents were being urged to go back to their flats.

Now it seems that the incident logs say that control were aware of the external fire but decided not to do anything about it because of the presence of a BA team.

Once all the facts have been separated from rumours, this has the potential for a really interesting book in a way that a documentary just wouldn't really do it justice.
Couple of points on this. (From memory but I did read the reports a couple of weeks ago)

Initial reporting said kitchen was extinguished by 01.15 yet their thermal imager clearly shows a re entry for final extinguish at 01.20. - by then it was already several floors up in the insulation layer.

Outside crews had seen the fire around the external window and got a jet to work.
Two problems:
1. Crew inside; and
2. Trying to put water on a rain screen when the insulation is burning. (Bit like a roof)

I can see that this will end up with a huge final report from the chair.

Incidentally, met a mate early this week who attended with An aid organisation. He went twice, several days at a time.
First time he said 99.9% of the residents/survivors were superb. Very grateful and friendly.

Second time they were the same but there were agitators causing most of the protests you saw on the news.

The worst?
The press. All out for a buck.

In the paper today, an architectural advisor to the inquiry has been sacked for not being an architect. Wouldn't you expect somebody to check these details?
Personally, I'd give more credence to an architectural advisor than to an architect.

Why wouldn't you want to take the advice of somebody who advises rather than somebody who receives advice?

I've been firefighting in an incident when an over enthusiastic follow up crew put a jet in through a window. This resulted in reduced visibility, excess heat, steam burns and their oic just avoiding having his ribs softened. This is another reporter who knows as much about fire fighting as any of the trolls on this thread.

Good point. But if someone has misrepresented their qualifications for personal gain?
I haven't seen the story but I wouldn't be too surprised to find that somebody doesn't know the difference between Architect, Designer and Engineer.