London's burning

I shall now creep away very very quietly.

Not in my day. Striker, Rampart et al
Any Latin buffs able to confirm whether ‘et al’ and not et alia / inter alia is correct please?

#this is important.

Any Latin buffs able to confirm whether ‘et al’ and not et alia / inter alia is correct please?
I don't know about Latin but the spelling and grammar are incorrect.

It should read "Striker and Rampart ate Al."

I presume that Striker and Rampart are cannibals. Other than being lunch, I don't know who Al was.

I don't know about Latin but the spelling and grammar are incorrect.

It should read "Striker and Rampart ate Al."

I presume that Striker and Rampart are cannibals. Other than being lunch, I don't know who Al was.
He deserves to be bloody hanged! Thank you.
Edit, thanks to Tam et al as well.

There were no fire stops or cavity barriers around the newly installed window frames. Cavities around the frames were filled with combustible materials. The original fridge/freezer fire spread behind the cladding via the kitchen window frame because of the lack of those safety measures. Seems to me the insulation was the main source of fuel for the fire from then on. As the fire increased in intensity it would be hot enough to damage the aluminium panelling causing it to de laminate and the PE core to melt and burn. At that point the PE became involved in the fire. The aluminium panelling which was preshaped to fit wasn't sealed aroung the edges so the PE core was exposed to flame. Oxygen was in abundance due to the built in chimney/air gap between insulation and aluminium panelling. Heat wouldn't dissipate because the aluminium kept it in the chimney.

Compartmentalisation failed because cavity barriers were fitted badly, fitted upside down, back to front or were just not installed at all in some places, allowing the fire to spread verticaly and horizontally. Buckling/warping of the alluminium panneling meant the expanding Intumescent strips wouldn't seal anyway. Fire could easily enter flats through window frames because of lack of safety around the frames mentioned earlier.

U shaped aluminium framework bolted to the building exterior used to hang the aluminium panels also enable fire spread as they were not sealed. Panelling between windows seen as white in photos were filled with, wait for it, polystyrene.

Ventilation and smoke extraction system in lobbies and fire escape failed. Fire fighters unable to control the designated fire elevator as it failed. Flat doors and fire escape doors did not meet spec.

..and 'Fire Exit' sign's written in English

Grab yourself a bargain eh!

The Grenfell disaster is having a huge effect on property prices in comparable accommodation in London.

A report in todays Guardian tells the story of people living in flats that were valued at £600,000 seeing the property values fall to just £90,000. A huge drop in value and to put it bluntly, a huge kick in the nuts for those caught in this trap.

Some properties have apparently even been valued at £0.

Some people say they are going to sue the relevant agencies but like any court matter, you can go to court but you have got to win the arguments to get damages.

I'm not a legal expert but wouldn't the courts regard the Grenfell tragedy as an "Act of God" or something and say sorry but no claim?

'Grenfell' cladding: couple sue after flat value drops from £600,000 to £90,000

Not a good place to be and I do feel sorry for them.

The Grenfell disaster is having a huge effect on property prices in comparable accommodation in London.

A report in todays Guardian tells the story of people living in flats that were valued at £600,000 seeing the property values fall to just £90,000. A huge drop in value and to put it bluntly, a huge kick in the nuts for those caught in this trap.

Some people say they are going to sue the relevant agencies but like any court matter, you can go to court but you have got to win the arguments to get damages.

I'm not a legal expert but wouldn't the courts regard the Grenfell tragedy as an "Act of God" or something and say sorry but no claim?

In legal usage throughout the English-speaking world, an act of God[1] is a natural hazard outside human control, such as an earthquake or tsunami, for which no person can be held responsible. An act of God may amount to an exception to liability in contracts (as under the Hague–Visby Rules);[2] or it may be an "insured peril" in an insurance policy.[3]
By contrast, other extraordinary man-made or political events are deemed force majeure.[4]

Wikipedia.

They've just had the government (i.e. us the taxpayer) write off £102k of their £120k help to buy loan. Effectively they've made a nice profit by kicking up a fuss. They are still in their nice home, and those low valuations will revert back to full price and more as soon as the government (i.e. us the taxpayer) underwrites the cost of any alterations that need to be made in these buildings.

They've just had the government (i.e. us the taxpayer) write off £102k of their £120k help to buy loan. Effectively they've made a nice profit by kicking up a fuss. They are still in their nice home, and those low valuations will revert back to full price and more as soon as the government (i.e. us the taxpayer) underwrites the cost of any alterations that need to be made in these buildings.
“It’s very stressful. I’m not doing this for the money,” said Ahmed.

Fun fact most buildings don't actually have 100% correct fire signs. But its such a minor thing no one ever gives a toss about it.
As an extension of your fun fact...

A lot of doors are marked (correctly) "Fire Door - Keep Shut" but many building occupiers don't realise that there's a subtle difference between "Fire Door" and "Fire Exit".

Not to worry, they'll realise when they attempt to escape through a broom cupboard.