London's burning

gaijin

War Hero
A fire in West London seems to have pretty much engulfed an entire 24 storey, tower block. 200 firefighters and 40 appliances on the scene and, if reports are to be believed, there have been people trapped and fatalities are not unlikely.

All of the major news outlets have coverage so I will only link to Sky
Sky News - First For Breaking News From The UK And Around The World

Travel chaos guaranteed for anyone commuting in from the West.

I know that it is far to early for any informed speculation but what could cause a whole building to go up like that? I have no knowledge in this area but presumably something more severe that someone falling asleep in bed with a ciggie? Its West London so I might have a small flutter on it someone's weed factory overheating.

TamH70

MIA
A fire in West London seems to have pretty much engulfed an entire 24 storey, tower block. 200 firefighters and 40 appliances on the scene and, if reports are to be believed, there have been people trapped and fatalities are not unlikely.

I know that it is far to early for any informed speculation but what could cause a whole building to go up like that? I have no knowledge in this area but presumably something more severe that someone falling asleep in bed with a ciggie? Its West London so I might have a small flutter on it someone's weed factory overheating.
I think whatever caused the initial inciting incident isn't really the main focus for the forthcoming inquiry - it's how the hell the thing got so bad - most blocks of flats have effective fire doors and other such systems in them, and they all seem to have failed here. Standby on the authorities looking for someone to blame for this beyond whoever accidentally/on purpose started the fire.

Fishbulb

Clanker
I think whatever caused the initial inciting incident isn't really the main focus for the forthcoming inquiry - it's how the hell the thing got so bad - most blocks of flats have effective fire doors and other such systems in them, and they all seem to have failed here. Standby on the authorities looking for someone to blame for this beyond whoever accidentally/on purpose started the fire.
Cladding?

Grenfell Tower, London, W11 1TQ – Regeneration Project – WITT UK Group

TamH70

MIA
By all accounts its been a tinder box waiting to go off for over five years now.

KCTMO – Playing with fire!
Oh dear, that lot looks worse than I thought. My building got re-cladded in '97, I think, but the main problem left behind by that, and the second-hand double glazing units the council put in, is drafts through most folks windows instead of the building going woof! Looking at that website makes me think we may have and still are dodging bullets.

Media reports from local residents say the tower block was refurbished last year.
Yes, so I've read. But the refurbishment seems to be primarily external ACM Cladding.
Grenfell Tower :: Harley Facades Limited

If you do a bit of google-fu on aluminium composite panels you will find they're a huge fire risk, a lot of issues with them in Australia. They tend to encase the building in fire quickly externally which then helps the fire spread even more rapidly.

syrup

LE

My money's on Ramadan
That tower block will be like a UN meeting there will be everyone from the many and diverse cultures of London.
I expect someone is playing by the rules and fasted all during daylight hours.
Come dark they've got Allah big book of cooking out and stuck something in the oven or on the cooker.
Probably on their chin strap because they've not scoffed all day (see also advice not to do PT or take exams due to being "weak") and fell asleep
Woke up to find the kitchen well alight.

They've probably refurbished most of the block but many of the fixtures and fitting will be old and people fleeing won't worry about closing fire doors etc.

By some accounts Fire Brigade struggling to get to it due to routes in being tight etc

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
The maths doesnt seem to be adding up - they dont have many people on the ground in evac centres/hospital - sadly it looks like there could be high casualty figures...

They've probably refurbished most of the block but many of the fixtures and fitting will be old and people fleeing won't worry about closing fire doors etc.
True fire doors are closed at all time or self closing.

Blogg

LE
Yes, so I've read. But the refurbishment seems to be primarily external ACM Cladding.
Grenfell Tower :: Harley Facades Limited

If you do a bit of google-fu on aluminium composite panels you will find they're a huge fire risk, a lot of issues with them in Australia. They tend to encase the building in fire quickly externally which then helps the fire spread even more rapidly.
This does beg a big WTF as to why anybody would even consider using combustible cladding

Fire Risks From External Cladding Panels – A Perspective From The UK « Probyn Miers

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The maths doesnt seem to be adding up - they dont have many people on the ground in evac centres/hospital - sadly it looks like there could be high casualty figures...

120 flats, London Ambulance state 30 people taken to hospital, so either a lot got out before the blaze took hold or as you say high casualty numbers

NSP

LE

Radio's reporting 27-storey. Apparently works to clad the building in some sort of plastic insulation were recently completed, which the resident's association apparently warned would be a fire hazard. Witnesses/resident survivors are saying it started on or about the fifth floor and just went "whoosh!" through the cladding. Fire brigade can't get inside as the whole place has gone up and there is now risk of collapse and can't get water higher than about halfway up, so the top half will have to be left to burn itself out, it seems.

Started just after 1am, being reported.

Edited to add: radio has corrected itself: 24-storey.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
My money's on Ramadan
That tower block will be like a UN meeting there will be everyone from the many and diverse cultures of London.
I expect someone is playing by the rules and fasted all during daylight hours.
Come dark they've got Allah big book of cooking out and stuck something in the oven or on the cooker.
Probably on their chin strap because they've not scoffed all day (see also advice not to do PT or take exams due to being "weak") and fell asleep
Woke up to find the kitchen well alight.

By some accounts Fire Brigade struggling to get to it due to routes in being tight etc
Think I've heard one "indigenous" accent on the multitude of residents/nieghbours/other witnesses that LBC have spoken to since I woke up at 7am. Some witnesses saying that parked cars and the main route in being dug up for gas works have hampered emergency vehicle access.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DB_Cooper Army Reserve 279
MoD_RSS Royal Air Force 0
Mr_Fingerz The Intelligence Cell 76

Latest Threads