Londons Annual Camp

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you guys changing your Ex location in light of current events? There's plenty of room up at Catterick if you feel like joining us this Sept! :D

Is it a Bowmanisation camp?

The_Duke

LE
Drive the coaches the long way round, and pretend SPTA is Georgia. If the TM has some imagination he will round up a load of plasterers, labourers and tilers from London building sites to work as OPFOR.

The Weather in Sennybridge is just like Georgia at this time of year, and you can't understand the locals!!! Perhaps you should give that a bash

Funny you saying that, as it appears that where they are now heading.

now me personally i would have fecked them off to either Brecon or Otterburn

Unlucky London's we went there in 04 u can always come to Romania with us still u were always behind in camps and tours, standing by for incoming

Hollos, you evidently know that LONDONS did Romania in 00. If you want to know if bears sh*t in the woods, no they don't, they do it on the tracks and then come into the harbour area and nick scoff from bashas - as members of A & B Coys will testify. If conditions haven't improved in camp, be prepared to throw used loo paper in a nice plastic basket beside the bog - small bore pipes cant cope with wads of the English stuff. Good field firing and amazing countryside if you get into the mountains for dry training - enjoy!

I suppose locals getting pissed and picking fight with super power makes a change from crab air not having any aeroplanes .As an excuse to bin an overseas camp .Supposedly going to cyprus next year so sennybridge it is
for us :p

tich23 said:
Hollos, you evidently know that LONDONS did Romania in 00. If you want to know if bears sh*t in the woods, no they don't, they do it on the tracks and then come into the harbour area and nick scoff from bashas - as members of A & B Coys will testify. If conditions haven't improved in camp, be prepared to throw used loo paper in a nice plastic basket beside the bog - small bore pipes cant cope with wads of the English stuff. Good field firing and amazing countryside if you get into the mountains for dry training - enjoy!
That's were we r going straight into the mountains the crabs have already delayed the return trip till Sunday afternoon so i guess that means Tuesday at the earliest and some rapid phone calls to my employer we have been brifed up about the bear threat we have to have anti bear stag/patrol on at all times oh its going to fun :D

The_Duke

LE
forniup said:
The Weather in Sennybridge is just like Georgia at this time of year, and you can't understand the locals!!! Perhaps you should give that a bash
carnage said:
Funny you saying that, as it appears that where they are now heading.

now me personally i would have fecked them off to either Brecon or Otterburn
Thank Christ for that - better Sennybridge than Brecon any day!

Damn, just watching footage on the BBC news. Would certainly have made for an interesting camp if the Russians had moved in a bit later!!

wg100 said:
Damn, just watching footage on the BBC news. Would certainly have made for an interesting camp if the Russians had moved in a bit later!!
A similar event took place in 1974 when 4RGJ was on annual camp in Cyprus and the Turks decided to invade.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
lacrabat said:
wg100 said:
A similar event took place in 1974 when 4RGJ was on annual camp in Cyprus and the Turks decided to invade.
From the commemorative book on the RGJ, Swift & Bold- A Portrait Of The Royal Green Jackets:

Camp that year was in Cyprus where the battalion had just deployed on exercise, with patrols out in the Akamas Peninsula, when a United Nations patrol arrived with the first intimation that all was not well. It reported Nicosia in turmoil, President reputedly dead and Cypriot National Guard officers being arrested. I quickly became clear that this was no exercise lay, and gradually the news began to filter in that northern Cyprus had been invaded early that morning by the Turkish Army. A little later that day a Cypriot National Guard patrol appeared in the area and the exercise was brought to an end.

Warrant officer Second Class (later Major) Gerry Koveny was the serjeant major of C Company. He recalled the colour serjeant driving through hostile territory in order to fill the water bowser, which comprised the company's only supply of drinking water.

Having 'got a way with it' for a number of round trips, the tap was eventually turned off when the CSjt's convoy was stopped and turned around by some very trigger-happy militia. Not quite knowing whether to load rifles with blank or ball ammunition, and reportedly running low on water, the company managed to maintain spirits with at least one 'tea bomb' of 'brandy sour'., a libation well known to all who have served in Cyprus! Camp was brought to an early end, to the disappointment of the riflemen. 'We pitched tents and loaded aircraft and were only sorry that we were not allowed to do what we thought was our proper job,' recalled one.