London - worth a visit?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by cokecan, Aug 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. right then London based Arrser's, i'm looking for a reece report.

we were thinking of nipping down to the smoke for a day trip - train to Euston, Camden Market, British Museum - but not Westminster, the Tower or anywhere 'Olympiccy'. is London as empty as we've seen on the tv, or would it be the hell-on-earth that i fear?

2. The West End seems reasonably busy, not the expected rush from the Olympics, but the Olympic sites and area are jammed. Not quite Hell on Earth, but a tad busier than usual.
  3. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

Natural History Museum always worth a visit - Victoria & Albert Museum just down the road. South Ken is nice to visit, and there's a decent Italian cafe between the tube station and Nat His museum.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Trains into London, especially those just after the cheapo tickets start, are rammed. Far more so than last week
  5. Camden stables Market is still very busy, as well as the rest of Camden, including Olympian visitors.
  6. Why visit Camden market (unless you're a goth) as it's shit.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I go through every weekend, doesn't seem that bad.

Only rammed train I had the misfortune of wrestling aboard was the Javelin train thingumabob that runs from London St Pancras down to Kent. Unfortunately it stops at Stratford International too, right where the Olympic park is.
  8. Is this a faimly visit with kids or is it adults or what?

Depends what kind of thing you have in mind really but whatever that is, you will find something that is suitable, open and (as you are to avoid any Olympic related) not too crowded.
  9. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Doris had her brother over last week and spent their entire time travelling into Londinium for the museums (mostly), nay dramas from her so it would seem to be ok to do what you want to do.
  10. Transport was on the quiet side last week; was more or less back to normal this morning. Don't be fooled by all this 'ghost town' bollocks, but it's no worse than it is on any given summer's day.
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

If you have the sudden desire to buy a bridge, please PM me before you sign anything, yah?