London underground train capacity question (help)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by chocolate_frog, Jul 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

AM in the midst of yet another OU assignment, and am doing a piece of mass transit sytems.

I have found that your standard tube train can seat 38 people per carrage. But does anyone know how many you can get in to a carriage standing? I estimate a further person for every seated individual plus about 10 extra in the door wells.

Making it approx 86 per carriage.

Can anyone with more experience of the "tube" clarify please.....

And NO I am not turning in to a train spotter, although some of the sites I have been on recently :roll:

2. C_F

Why not contact TfL? They employ loads of consultants to produce this sort of info.

Shiny.

3. 18:10 every day from kensington to Kings X dressed in crocs and lederhosen.

Number of cattle on each carriage is about 1,600 - 73% have BO, 69% have halitosis, 2% are Jap and speaking loudly, 1% are scousers trying to pickpocket you, 25% are chavs, and 6% are little old ladies who nick your seat. Invaribaly there's a pished up jock who wants to chat and a tramp who makes jarrod look well dressed.

does that help?

4. No such thing as a "standard" carriage

5. Try here. By the way, every Tube line runs a different type of train for some reason, so there's no such thing as a standard tube train.

:)

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'Making it approx 86 per carriage.'

you've never been to London have you?

7. Cheers studentfeckwit, for some unknown reason I could find seats in all links but not standing.

Tattybadger, I feel for you :D

I'm going with 1238 on a 6 carriage train. (1973 class).

8. Each tube line has its own rolling stock due to te size of the tunnels. The tunnels all differ in size and the trains are designed to fit the tunnels so that if there is a collision between two trains in a tunnel, they don't ride up on top of each other. This is what happened in the Moorgate crash when a tube train crashed into the buffers on s station originally designed (and used by) overground stock. The carriages rode up on top of each other causing multiple fatalities in the first few carriages but not at the back of the train.

District line trains won't go down the Bakerloo line, Jubilee trains won't fit on the Northern and Central line trains won't fit on the Victoria.

9. This is such a complex and complicated question. There are so many different stocks and consequently capacities. There is therefore no DS answer to your currently unrefined question.

'Seats' may be counted, standees are according to ............... .

Good luck. I have many definitive books if you care to pm.

10. I'll check my photo's from last year's Circle Line Cocktail Party and get back to you.

11. Depends which line, how big people are and if they have luggage, bleedin push chairs, golf clubs ect and how desperate people are to get on, I find a good hearty shove and I can get on

12. As of this afternoons jaunt home 98 inclusive of 38 people seated. They weren't grouped tightly, and there was enough room to move without touching. I had to add 4 to reach this figure as i could visually picture another four. I would define this number as comfortable.

I reckon you could double that number to make it capacity but everyone would be touching very closely.

Edit: This figure refers to a carriage.

13. Here, this will help,

[​IMG]

14. Based on 2 weeks ago - not taking into account boring physics, but Mrs Old Muso and me found the number in a non rush hour tube must have been about 10 000 per carriage! Okay must have been less but the doors wouldn't shut!

Seriously, on a non rush hour tube - and after 20 years of irregular travel in London - 2 weeks ago on about the 11:00 from Kings Cross to Vauxhall it was the worst ever ..... but I still think it's the best way of crossing London. Doing it every day though .... eh not sure!

15. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

do you think? it's fast and convenient, but as a relative newcomer, I find if I'm not in any rush particularly the bus is far better - it's never as crowded and you actually get to see where you're going, instead of popping down one rabbithole to reappear somewhere else. (while suffering from heatstroke, if it's anything like yesterday.)