London Transport - Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Markintime, Mar 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Just a brief reminder that this scheme exists.

  2. And a very nice scheme it is too. Easy to apply, takes about a week to get your Oyster and, If like me, you live on or near the extremes of the tube line, can save you a packet. Saves me around 2.5k a year as I use it to travel to work and back everyday. Some overlands Like Chiltern Rail accept them to stations within the tube zones (Amersham - Marylebone etc)

    Get one chaps, even if you only use it twice a year.
  3. Thanks Markintime, I was under the impression that the scheme was for those who lived in London.

    I have spoken with transport for London, who have confirmed all veterans in receipt of War Pension/AFCS are eligible for VCTS wherever they live in the UK who wish to visit, or are travelling through London, although this is not made clear on the website.
  4. elovabloke

    elovabloke LE Moderator

    I only use mine on the odd occasion I visit but it has saved me dosh that can go to better causes. A must if your are in receipt of the necessary pension.
  5. The VCTS Oyster Card for free travel in the TFL area of London for veterans in recepit of regular payments from a War pension or Armed Forces Compensation scheme, widows of veterans and dependants, which was first issued by Boris Johnson and TFL in 2008 is due to expire in May 2012.

    I have just had an email from Boris / TFL informing me that the scheme is to be extended and veterans who have cards will get a letter soon inviting them to renew them.

    Presumably for those who may not have been aware of this and qualify, will now be able to apply for one some time soon.

    Full Details Here --> War veterans | Transport for London
  6. oldbaldy

    oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

    Letter recived today.
    Forms being sent out shortly to renew our cards.
    Current ones expire 31 May 2012.
    Will still be for those getting 20% or higher.
  7. oldbaldy

    oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

    Letter from Boris with new application arrived in the post today.
    Great that is can be used on overground now as well & so Waterloo to Twickenham is within it's scope.

    War veterans | Transport for London
  8. Just requested an application form as I will in in London a few times this year and have just been told that as I live overseas I am still eligible for the scheme but they need a UK address to send the forms to.

    Just something for any other expats that are thinking of applying.
  9. Just fired the link to Mum. Don't think she's ever heard of it, but she only moved back to the Smoke in September.
  10. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    Yes it is made clear on the website, I suggest you re read it, sadly its for those in receipt of war pension or AFCS pension payments. the rest of us can consider ourselves lucky!
  11. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    Section 2 - Eligibility criteria
    1.The eligibility criteria for the VCTS are agreed with the Ministry of Defence.
    2.To be eligible for the VCTS, you must be the named recepient of an ongoing pension or guaranteed income payment under the United Kingdom's War Pensions Scheme or Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. You must not be in receipt of an equivalent concession such as a Freedom Pass issued by a London borough.
    3.TfL may check the eligibility of applicants for the VCTS with the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA).
    4.You do not need to be resident in the UK to be eligible for the scheme.

    Unless London has Moved outside of the UK then anywhere in the UK is fine!
  12. You always were able to use it on Overground Trains in the TFL area matey. I have used it from Waterloo / Clapham to Twickers for the Army Navy game for the past few years
  13. I Specifically registered on Arse in the hope of assistance concerning an application I made for an Oyster card last Nov.

    I applied for a veterans concessionary travel pass, to cut a long story shortish, the following events unfolded.

    After filling in and sending my application form, I was informed that any paperwork bearing Xafinity Paymaster logos were not suitable proof of pension.

    I was discharged in 1998 on medical grounds against my wishes for hearing loss, I receive an Armed forces Pension, which will continue for life.

    After a number of phone calls and written correspondance between Xafinity Paymaster in Crawley and Glasgow, SPVA in Norcross Lancs and London Transport Dept it seems I am unable to attain an veterans concessionary oyster card. This is because I do not have a form from the SPVA stating I am in possesion of any payment by them.

    I am trying to discern the difference between a War Pension or compensation Pension which is the required criteria for the oyster card. What I do not understand is why I cannot claim the card using my pension details. My Pension is issued due to injury sustained during course of service .

    Wondered if anybody else has had similar problems and if so is there a solution! I am registered with SPVA but receive nothing from them, they acknowledge initial diagnosis of my hearing loss, but will not issue a document to endorse my claim.

    Would be pleased to get any advice regarding this matter
  14. eighth day,

    According to the blurb on the TfL website War veterans | Transport for London you need to provide a photocopy of your Awards Notification or annual uprating letter from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency dated within the last two years.

    You state you are receiving an Armed Forces pension, is it a War pension or regular pension? You will not get a concessionary pass if you are getting a normal pension.

  15. Hi Shiny

    I do not get a war pension, I served just short of 12 years, the pension I get is a dissability pension I suppose. All my paperwork relates to the SPVA such as contact numbers for queries etc, I still cant understand why this exempts me from the veterans travel pass. By my reckoning I served a number of active service tours, inf, which contributed to my discharge , surely meaning I would qualify as a veteran.

    I have read the criteria and just wondered if there was any agencies I would be able to appeal to about this matter, I have drawn a blank phoning the 3 agencies mentioned.

    My reason for this is I may be involved in security work for the olympics and it could save an considerable amount of money if I has a pass.