London teeth arms

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Charlie_Cong, Sep 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got a friend in London who is keen to join a teeth arm unit.

(... and no it's not me!)

He's thinking about Londons (sound good, but mundane deployed role) RY (bit too... well... NBC) and HAC (I thought they were impressive in Basra).

Re: RY - any comments on the NBC role - does it deserve the bad reputation?
    Re: HAC. Just wanted to know what positions are about apart from Sabre Squadrons.
    Do they have a sub unit that has a normal infantry role?
    I read elsewhere that the gun troop is re-training to liasion parties - any more on this?

All advice much appreciated!

2. RY is soon to "alter" its role. We will still have to do a bit of NBC to keep our DRAC masters happy but to be fair its not much more in depth than the ITD. The aim is to keep the training bill low and concentrate on Recce. Also we are changing from supporting the CR2 Egts to CVRT.

3. Erm - he wants to join a teeth arm unit, but would find being deployed as an infantry soldier 'mundane'......he hasn't got teeth arm confused with RAMC / RADC has he?

4. Is it you or your 'friend' who thinks the London's deployed role is "mundane"?

Also, would appreciate your, or 'his', reasoning behind this statement.

5. I found all those IEDs terribly mundane :roll:

6. I think that translates into northern English as ..... being a sentry on a gate for 6 months as piss poor boring

7. Which is what was done one third of the time - the rest was as infantry a role as any light role infantry unit out there.

But let's not turn this into another Londons thread - the point is why does this person want to joint a 'teeth arm' if he finds the infantry mundane? And lets face it, the TA Cav don't get much CR2 or CVRT time either....

8. Apologies - No offence intended but here's my *personal* opinion.

Many roles in theatre are pretty mundane, and the TA inf don't have a monopolyat all. Yet as has been discussed at length the TA is being deployed a lot, and will continue to do so. If you're going to put so much committment in with a relatively high chance of being called upon to deploy for 6 months you should think carefuly about what role its going to be.

As far as I can tell the majority of the TA Coys have been used for force protection. I could cite TA Inf who haven't but I think in the balance of things most have. Given the choice *I* would personally rather join a unit that is more likely to get an AO and patrol it (as the HAC have done) in preference to guarding BAS and handing out passes in Div HQ.

I don't mean to disparage the job - we're all on the same side. But if you have a choice of units you may as well choose wisely.

As for LondonJock's post - All of the inf would love to charge off and do proper "Infantry" attacks. But the chances are that its not going to happen any time soon and that, when it does, formed TA Coys are not going to be doing it. Its not an ARAB thing. As in Telic 1 - by and large the Armd Inf were doing high-intensity while the Light Inf secured LoCs, guarded prisoners etc.

So that's my personal opinion. He can take it or leave it, as can you.

9. Hello all.

I will try to be very diplomatic. If your friend wants to join a teeth arm then he has a wide choice in London, RAC, Engineers, Artillery and the PBI. Each has its merits, the choice is his. Why not use London Soldier to go out and make an informed one.

The London Regiment did stag on in Basra that is true, BUT we also got blown up and shot at. We also did more than our fair share of cutting about. There are members of the regiment who will live with their scars for life, so for the sake of a well informed and reasoned thread, check fire, make your apologies or find another Regiment to wind up.

10. There's also 10 Coy 4 PARA up in White City - they're a good bunch, but a bit limited as realistically you're restricted to moving around in the same Company.

11. I don't want this turn into a Londons thread or a TA v Reg thread.

Neither, I'll say again, do I want to offend or denigrate any unit or individuals.

The choice is his, and he can phone/visit units as he likes. Since he doesn't use ARRSE I posted to ask for your thoughts. If you think this thread is a waste of time then ignore it. But if you do have opinions on the following I'd appreciate it.

Re: RY - any comments on the NBC role - does it deserve the bad reputation?
    Re: HAC. Just wanted to know what positions are about apart from Sabre Squadrons.
    Do they have a sub unit that has a normal infantry role?
    I read elsewhere that the gun troop is re-training to liasion parties - any more on this?

12. Re HAC.

The serving unit now claim to have "Patrol" squadrons rather than "Sabre" Squadrons. Its role is artillery/aircraft OP/long range patrolling. My recollection of that kindnof work is yolu need to have some pretty good infantry skills and artillery fire control. If you don't want to do that you can be a signaller, bang on the drums or join the band -unless you are an old fart in wehich case you can be a special constabule or be a Pikeman oe Musketeerer.

But don't forget, its not what you do, its who you do it with. The HAC are unique. Culture is a bit different to the rest of the British Army but its good fun.

If you are seriously interested send me a PM.