London set to remain financial services capital of Europe

Bravo, I spend over two hours on the stock market each day on weekdays, and have done for years, I often have to do this when on the Sub Continent and in the Far East, believe me, our position and market timing is so very well positioned. it's lovely when in China or Singapore to see our market burst into life before all the other feckers 'frogs Krauts and yanks' get out of bed!

Lord Palmerston: The superiority, both economically and industrially of America over Great Britain is as inevitable as the sun rising tomorrow; however one thing is most certainly for sure; they will always be six hours behind!
I've been in financial services since the late 80s, I'm very well aware of our fortuitous position with regard to trading hours.
But this thread was started because the OP thought the UK was going to see a decent inflow of FS companies to the UK.
Unfortunately this want the premise of the press release, and I must admit to schadenfreude when reading some of the comments...

Yep, sorry.

Another Brexit thread and by the 3rd reply Bravo_Bravo had been tagged. Replies 4 5 and 6 were also baiting him, along with Higgs Bosun.

BB couldn't help responding, even though he can just let it go.

Next thing you know, the thread turns into the same old shite.

My guess is @heard_it_all_before didnt start the thread to have yet another **** off thread for the site throbbers.

I'd say I agree, CA is indeed "over there". But the problem occurs when the reports start piling in. But this only happens when people start tagging the usual suspects into threads... And the usual suspects respond in kind then get accused of trolling. I'm talking in general now, not talking about you specifically.

Hence, I realise the people doing the reporting aren't always the people doing the tagging, and much as most of you lot find it funny, either way it's embarrassing, a lot of unnecessary work for those of us who volunteer to try and keep the site balanced for the many, but moreover I sense most people are sick of it.
who’s hitting the .’Report’ button, name and shame

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've been in financial services since the late 80s, I'm very well aware of our fortuitous position with regard to trading hours.
But this thread was started because the OP thought the UK was going to see a decent inflow of FS companies to the UK.
Unfortunately this want the premise of the press release, and I must admit to schadenfreude when reading some of the comments...
Bravo You have acute schadenfreude whenever something positive is said about our mother country, which causes people to doubt you, and to resent your very many negative remarks which you do make and in most of your posts!

'Right or wrong! My country'!!

Toppet

War Hero
who’s hitting the .’Report’ button, name and shame
Good on them. As @Boris_Johnson has alluded to, there's far too much handbaggery that goes on, in a large number of serious/semi-serious threads - and I'll admit to having had a small part in some of it (as have most).

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not just of Europe, but the world. Thanks to geography we can catch the Far East first thing in our morning, and New York at lunchtime. And we speak English. And finally, we’ve been a global financial centre for hundreds of years.
I remember when I consulted, being told how the first train out of Norwich got the money people into town in tine to catch the close of the Far East market, which allowed them to commute in and allowed house prices to reflect same.

I've also consulted in Norwich. Still a sh¡thole.

Bravo You have acute schadenfreude whenever something positive is said about our mother country, which causes people to doubt you, and to resent your very many negative remarks which you do make and in most of your posts!

'Right or wrong! My country'!!
Read the link, and the comments that actually discuss the implications of what it actually says.

Its nothing like as big a deal as the OP, and far too many others think.

Last edited:
Really?

I thought you were selling life insurance and then onto QROPS deals. That's hardly "financial services".

Trading hours, in its literal sense, don't particularly help the City. Very few Asian or US firms trade UK equities from Asia/US. Rather, they employ local staff who trade during local hours. Off-market trading on both individual stocks and indices occurs 24/7, just outside the exchange hours.

The read advantage of "trading hours" is in the execution of non-exchange-based deals across three time zones.......where all parties can hop onto a call during their respective business hours.

Indeed. But the EU strategy in the May era was to demand genuine transfer of staff for rights. Clearly our european chums care enough about CoL presence to set up nominal offices. But if the EU threatens again to reject nominal offices for us in lieu of passporting...we just got 1000+ hostages.

Any which way you look at it, it's a very positive development.
Positivity is a word / thing that some clearly have an aversion to. A reflection of their life perhaps ?

An influx of companies opening offices, hiring staff and renting office space
Hiring staff and renting office space is always a bad thing :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Really?

I thought you were selling life insurance and then onto QROPS deals. That's hardly "financial services".

Trading hours, in its literal sense, don't particularly help the City. Very few Asian or US firms trade UK equities from Asia/US. Rather, they employ local staff who trade during local hours. Off-market trading on both individual stocks and indices occurs 24/7, just outside the exchange hours.

The read advantage of "trading hours" is in the execution of non-exchange-based deals across three time zones.......where all parties can hop onto a call during their respective business hours.
Yes, financial services.

Some IT Sopd thinks I just sell life insurance, and you believe him.

Fair enough.

Indeed. But the EU strategy in the May era was to demand genuine transfer of staff for rights. Clearly our european chums care enough about CoL presence to set up nominal offices. But if the EU threatens again to reject nominal offices for us in lieu of passporting...we just got 1000+ hostages.

Any which way you look at it, it's a very positive development.
Passporting is something done within the EU. Once we leave the EU, that option won't be available to us.
Has the EU rejected a UK application for virtual offices - and what do you mean by that? As I mentioned above, my UK permissions where passports into the RoI, and I had no need to establish a physical presence there.

While this is not negative it's hardly "very positive".

Nobbygas

Old-Salt
Really?

It is worth pointing out that most new trading platforms developed in the last 18 months are based on 23 hour trading days.

Some IT Sopd thinks I just sell life insurance, and you believe him.
I seem to recall you mentioning it yourself on this board.

You have certainly mentioned your promoting QROPS type tax avoidance.

What we can be certain of is that you have never worked in the City in any grown-up capacity.

It is worth pointing out that most new trading platforms developed in the last 18 months are based on 23 hour trading days.
Absolutely......there's very little that can't be traded 24/6 where the underlying is listed on an exchange somewhere. It's been that way for a long time. Hell, you can even settle trades in Australia that were executed in London.

As every, B2 is talking out of his proverbial.

The_Duke

LE
It is happening all over the show, but it is far from being a massive influx of value.
We have a “new company” set up in Dublin in case we need it. Same real estate, same staff, possibly the same business (but no guarantee either way)...just the additional costs of setting up a new legal entity.

I seem to recall you mentioning it yourself on this board.

You have certainly mentioned your promoting QROPS type tax avoidance.

What we can be certain of is that you have never worked in the City in any grown-up capacity.
It's always best not to assume, isn't it?

As every, B2 is talking out of his proverbial.
Hardly.
I'm aware that the premise of the OP is flawed, and that Londons geographic position has been a boon for traders.

Swing and a miss, champ.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
London will stay as it has the infrastructure, communications & buildings for what it needs to supply.
Most large companies opening up an "EU" branch in main land Europe as a way of easing business.

We are in USA, EU, Hong Kong just so we can push business through whilst looking to be trading from these offices. Most are near shell like companies but it gives the platform to trade freely with out constraints

Not just of Europe, but the world. Thanks to geography we can catch the Far East first thing in our morning, and New York at lunchtime. And we speak English. And finally, we’ve been a global financial centre for hundreds of years.
It used to be the case, but most of trading is done by machines and algos anyways now, where time zones don't really matter.

Latest Threads