London, safe enough to leave your doors unlocked!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chocolate_frog, Aug 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was born and bred in the East End of London. When I was a kid yes you could leave your door unlocked. Today!, Commissioner Blair is talking a right load of bo*****ks...

2. My Gran used to leave her front door unlocked, but she lived in Peebles where it was still community minded.

However, I live in London and would never leave my door unlock. In fact I'm replacing it with an even thinker door with more locks on it next Month.

Peebles = Small one horse town in Scotland where they shot the horse for entertainment.

3. Given that my sister got burgled a couple of weeks ago, I would say that the Met chief must have worked for Pravda in a previous life

4. [quote="LordVonHarley
    However, I live in London and would never leave my door unlock. In fact I'm replacing it with an even thinker door with more locks on it next Month.[/quote]

You could have a door 10 inches thick with the most expensive locks, but have crap hinges where the door can be bashed in.

Invest in something like this:

[​IMG]

5. You could have a door 10 inches thick with the most expensive locks, but have crap hinges where the door can be bashed in.

Invest in something like this:

[​IMG][/quote]

Fear not MM, I will be replacing the hinges with heavy duty brass ones.

6. That statement should've ended with the drum roll from 'East Enders'. It would have had more effect...........cor blimey.

7. Sorry I dont watch that load of shite!.

8. My mum was brought up in Chiswick and says that the only reason people left their doors open was because nobody had anything worth pinching

9. How true. It's like folk say when the Kray twins were running around my home of Bethnal Green, nobody would break in and steal things, yehh beacuse exactly what your mum said, nobody had anything worth nicking!.

10. Fear not MM, I will be replacing the hinges with heavy duty brass ones.[/quote]

Don'y forget the frame, many a big doorway failed as the frame gave way before the door. Once watched a locksmith lever a door open using a shovel as he twisted the frame enough to let the lock's bolt pass! A softwood frame and a couple of 3" screws can be the weak link. Don't forget though in a fire you might need to get out, or the Fire service get in.

11. Would these unlocked doors be behind 8 foot walls with razor wire ontop, 8 foot security gates with 24hr gaurds patrolling the grounds?

12. No that's Wormwood Scrubs! :D

13. Don'y forget the frame, many a big doorway failed as the frame gave way before the door. Once watched a locksmith lever a door open using a shovel as he twisted the frame enough to let the lock's bolt pass! A softwood frame and a couple of 3" screws can be the weak link. Don't forget though in a fire you might need to get out, or the Fire service get in.[/quote]

Some sort of trap door under the welcome mat maybe in order!

14. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I'm happy to leave my doors unlocked where I live because the local residents have banded together to pay for a private security dog patrol 24/7. AFAIK there hasn't been a burglary since 2001 when it started (and my house was the last to be feckin' burgled, while I was on Saif Sareea). On the other hand, I wouldn't be entirely confident about leaving anything unlocked if local patrolling was just down to our friendly community bobby. He's a nice enough bloke, but we see him once a year at the Residents' Association AGM.