• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

London, safe enough to leave your doors unlocked!

chocolate_frog said:
It's safe to leave the door unlocked, says Met chief

Many here live in London, dodging the obvious nullifing of insurance issue, would you leave your doors open?
My Gran used to leave her front door unlocked, but she lived in Peebles where it was still community minded.

However, I live in London and would never leave my door unlock. In fact I'm replacing it with an even thinker door with more locks on it next Month.

Peebles = Small one horse town in Scotland where they shot the horse for entertainment.

[quote="LordVonHarley
However, I live in London and would never leave my door unlock. In fact I'm replacing it with an even thinker door with more locks on it next Month.[/quote]

You could have a door 10 inches thick with the most expensive locks, but have crap hinges where the door can be bashed in.

Invest in something like this:

Mad_Moriarty said:
[quote="LordVonHarley
However, I live in London and would never leave my door unlock. In fact I'm replacing it with an even thinker door with more locks on it next Month.
You could have a door 10 inches thick with the most expensive locks, but have crap hinges where the door can be bashed in.

[/quote]

Fear not MM, I will be replacing the hinges with heavy duty brass ones.

B

Biscuits_AB

Mad_Moriarty said:
chocolate_frog said:
It's safe to leave the door unlocked, says Met chief

Many here live in London, dodging the obvious nullifing of insurance issue, would you leave your doors open?
I was born and bred in the East End of London. When I was a kid yes you could leave your door unlocked. Today!, Commissioner Blair is talking a right load of bo*****ks...
That statement should've ended with the drum roll from 'East Enders'. It would have had more effect...........cor blimey.

drain_sniffer said:
My mum was brought up in Chiswick and says that the only reason people left their doors open was because nobody had anything worth pinching
How true. It's like folk say when the Kray twins were running around my home of Bethnal Green, nobody would break in and steal things, yehh beacuse exactly what your mum said, nobody had anything worth nicking!.

LordVonHarley said:
Mad_Moriarty said:
[quote="LordVonHarley

Fear not MM, I will be replacing the hinges with heavy duty brass ones.[/quote]

Don'y forget the frame, many a big doorway failed as the frame gave way before the door. Once watched a locksmith lever a door open using a shovel as he twisted the frame enough to let the lock's bolt pass! A softwood frame and a couple of 3" screws can be the weak link. Don't forget though in a fire you might need to get out, or the Fire service get in.

WhiteHorse said:
LordVonHarley said:
Mad_Moriarty said:
[quote="LordVonHarley

Fear not MM, I will be replacing the hinges with heavy duty brass ones.
Don'y forget the frame, many a big doorway failed as the frame gave way before the door. Once watched a locksmith lever a door open using a shovel as he twisted the frame enough to let the lock's bolt pass! A softwood frame and a couple of 3" screws can be the weak link. Don't forget though in a fire you might need to get out, or the Fire service get in.[/quote]

Some sort of trap door under the welcome mat maybe in order!

cpunk

LE
I'm happy to leave my doors unlocked where I live because the local residents have banded together to pay for a private security dog patrol 24/7. AFAIK there hasn't been a burglary since 2001 when it started (and my house was the last to be feckin' burgled, while I was on Saif Sareea). On the other hand, I wouldn't be entirely confident about leaving anything unlocked if local patrolling was just down to our friendly community bobby. He's a nice enough bloke, but we see him once a year at the Residents' Association AGM.

B

Biscuits_AB

Mad_Moriarty said:
="Biscuits_ABThat statement should've ended with the drum roll from 'East Enders'. It would have had more effect...........cor blimey.
Sorry I dont watch that load of shite!.
I do. Sadly I do not find it a realistic attempt at portraying real 'East End' lfe. There's no Pearly Kings and Queens dancing in the square, Beales cafe or should I say 'kaff', doesn't sell jellied eels and mash and no one speaks in rhyming slang.

Cor Blimey.

If I leave Scotland Yard unlocked, do you think someone might come and steal Sir(for services to himself I believe) Ian Blair?

Honestly what gets into these people that they come out with this sh1te?? My sister was mugged recently, a friend of mine was mugged this weekend. He was very complimentary about the Commissioner when I called him to see how the stitches were.

Maybe if he got out of his fecking staff-car, took all the police uniform and scrambled egg off and went on a peregrination or two into darkest Clapham, Blackheath and Islington he might get a handle on why people in these "gentrified" areas feel like milch cows.

LordVonHarley said:
Would these unlocked doors be behind 8 foot walls with razor wire ontop, 8 foot security gates with 24hr gaurds patrolling the grounds?
Wait!

Are we meant to make thing secure? 24/7 Guarding normaly means that anything not nailed down will at the very least be borrowed over night...

Latest Threads