London Recruiting Push

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by OldSnowy, Sep 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Well done the Londons!!!

For the first time ever, I have seen Soldiers in CS95 at Waterloo Station handing out leaflets, iinviting people to the 'London Soldier' event at Chelsea Barracks. Nice to see, and could tap a good source of potential recruits.

However......
    - The leaflet shows all kinds of interesting things, but not one mention of Ops, Deserts, etc. (Or what most mobilised Inf do, which is **** a gate up and down and look out of a sangar for six months). Front picture is of soldiers in arctic gear ski-joring behind a BV. When did the TA (or the Regs, come to that) last do that? A few RMR, I would think, certainly never a London TA Unit!

- What happens after Chelsea Barracks gets sold? Move it to Woolwich?

Enough ranting - well done for getting blokes out to recruit, and actually show a Uniform in London for a change!

2. Well done but does anyone that joins as a result of such one-off events stay in? - the real long term recruits are those that are either brought in by their mates or had the courage to turn up at a TAC or ring in on their own account.

I can't help feeling that toms standing around on street corners is a misguided and nugatory effort. It's a bit like doing the local fete - the uniforms and guns always have impact but invariably to the wrong audience.

The best way is targeted recruiting - to highlight the TAC (posters, lights, etc), well advertised open evenings, good follow-up admin and chasing enquiries by the permanent staff, a welcoming and credible reception and attention to detail of the sign on process and basic trg -get those right and you'll always have recruits.