London Poppy Day - Thursday 3rd November 2011 - your support needed

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by tich23, Sep 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. PLEASE NOTE PREVIOUS THREAD SHOWS LAST YEARS DATE!!! THIS YEAR IS 3rd NOVEMBER!

London Poppy Day - Thursday 3rd November - your support needed
    Some of you may be aware of an event called London Poppy Day. After collecting £241,000 for the Royal British Legion last year, it is set on collecting half a million this year; so needs all the support it can get. The event is a single day of British Legion poppy collecting, which brings together old vets in suits and current service personnel in uniform together across the Capital. As the planning starts in earnest for London Poppy Day 2011 (Thu 3 Nov 11), would you consider showing your support by joining the group (were you will find a link to a ppt giving more detail around the event) as well as lending a hand on the day?

London Poppy Day | LinkedIn

There are already have 4 x military bands, lots of Pipers and 600 collectors on board, but many more are needed to make the target. There will be collections morning (7am to 9am) and afternoon/evening (1630 to 1900 approx) at approx 50 tube and train stations around the Capital, the details of which will be posted on this site in due course. Each location will have a 'station commander' whose job it is to coordinate activity across his or her station area. Again details of the station commander will be published on the LinkedIn site.

Please click the link above to learn more.

If you don't use LinkedIn then PM Duke or myself

2. tich, I'll be up for this again this year as are Pararegtom and Soldier Girl.

3. tich, depending on the result of an interview this afternoon I may be able to do Oxford if we're branching out into the Provinces this year...

4. Yep, I'm in! Just tell me what to wear, where to stand etc etc!

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

What to wear? For the ex-services or those of us still serving that have to go to work between collections a suit, regimental tie and bling works well. Having additional collectors in a variety of orders of dress (MTP, desert or No1/No2) helps as it is the variety that catches the eye.

At Cannon St last year I had CH47 crew in No2s, PWRR in deserts and No1 dress plus others in suits.

6. And if you're neither? Can I still get involved, or is it ex/current serving only?

7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

All very welcome - the target is massive this year, so the more the merrier.

8. The link takes me to Late Rooms military discount page!?

9. That's good to hear, thank you. I look forward to it.

10. I'll be there on the 3rd. Doing it through my unit so it could be any train station (except in all likelihood Finsbury Park). I know the Canary Wharf contingent have got 74 people including the 25 from HMS Mersey and 14 from the RE.

Canary Wharf
    The Band of the Brigade of Ghurkhas will be playing at lunchtime in front of the 'clocks' in the centre of Canary Wharf
    - HMS Mersey will be visiting and hosting both a press launch and evening reception on 2nd Nov (day before)
    - The RBL will have control of the Reuters jumbotron screen throughout the day; we will be looking for photogenic collectors(!) who want to see themselves up in lights to improve awareness of the event.
    - Drinks for everyone involved will be held in Leadenhall Market at the end of the day on 3rd Nov.

I'll be at Leadenhall for post collection Piss up.

11. I'm in. Not in the linkedin group yet but been in ited by a pal who did Leadenhall Market last year.

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Got a station in mind? Cannon St suit you?

;-)

13. Duke, is Cannon St still looking for bodies? As it's right by my office and I'd like to mug as many of the tight fisted ******* who work here as possible. :) I did London Bridge last year but was surrounded by some strange blokes wearing Rifle green berets and some other bloke with a little trumpet with no valves, mind, the lunchtime entertainment at Leadenhall was extremely good, a band of little foreign blokes in Rifle green with a couple of male dancers (WTF is it with Rifle green?).

14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Help at Cannon St gladly received. I will pm you some details once I get back on to a proper computer.

15. Cheers