London Olympics 'to come in £500m under budget'

BBC News - London Olympics 'to come in £500m under budget'

Forgive me for I may be a bit simple here, but coming in at over three times the original budget seems to not quite be within budget to me. Move the goal posts when it turns out you have buggered up then pats on the back all around when you come in under the new figure. On the plus side at least we won't be a laughing stock come the opening ceremony... oh bugger.

I really couldn't believe when I saw the story on BBC today morning. Blood hell! Should be "interesting."
£27million budget, staffed by unemployed volunteers! Pay them for fucks sake, do something right!

I am hoping it will have a 28 days later feel to it and the cows will be rendered into burgers before the expectant crow then served among them at £5 a pop!

Tomorrow's headline:

Games Organisers Rewarded With £600m In Bonuses For Bringing Project In Under Budget

Pah...we should open it with a mock Company attack with plenty of blanks and thunderflashes, followed by a couple of WMIKS tearing round the track, blasting away, then a helicopter could swoop down, a rope drop and a detachment of Marines could abseil down to rescue a mock hostage. Next a Typhoon could scream across the sky, popping out flares as it goes.

The finale would be the Paras entering stage left, fluro yellow tabbards on, broom in one hand and dust pan in the other, to collect the brass ;)

Budget would be negligable as thats a normal weekend training session for the TA.

Pah...we should open it with a mock Company attack ... etc.
You've struck the percussive fixing on the cranium!

The Gun Run as an Olympic event! Is it too late to select a team?

Will the Tottenham Massive be doing the torch lighting ceremony?
I've said it before, if I want to watch a bunch of foreigners running about & throwing things I'll stand in the centre of Brixton at midnight & say JD Sports have left theit back door open. That or watch Zulu again.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
It's nice to see they've got an elderly strangled cat to close the ceremony. If you heard him sing on the Jubilee concert you'll know who i'm talking about. WAARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Oh-Bla-Di

I thought the original estimated budget was 9million? I thought I was bad at maths.
I believe they first said 2.7 billion. Strangely enough these politicians who think spending 9 billion out of a 2.7 billion budget are then invited to give speeches to corporations.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I believe they first said 2.7 billion. Strangely enough these politicians who think spending 9 billion out of a 2.7 billion budget are then invited to give speeches to corporations.
Yeah - but the £2.7 billion was in 'Labour Speak'. To convert 'Labour Speak' to reality, multiply by 3, giving an adjusted for political bullshit value of £8.1 billion.

Gordon (no boom or bust) Brown applied the sample principle when calculating tax revenues...

Wordsmith

Leaving aside the original budget, the current budget of £9.3bn includes a £2bn contingency. To my mind, that's a £7.3bn budget and £2bn "just in case" that shouldn't really get spent.

Rather than praising themselves for being £476m under budget, they should be dreaming up plausible excuses for spending £1.5bn more than they should have - and finding ways of paying it back.

ugly

LE
Shamelessly nicked from the Pub Landlord;

Attachments