London Musings...

Quite right. But be sure to obtain your haggis from a reputable butcher who makes his own on the premises. Supermarket haggis tends to be not as good. Do not even think of buying deep-fried haggis in batter from a dodgy back-street chippy!
I think the Hall's ones are pretty good.

"Funny thing" happened to me today. I did my first London balcony abseiling. The idiot mate of mine on who's couch I was crashing on for the night conveniently forgot that I was there on his couch (I don't know how) and locked the door on his way to work to another town. Woke up at 10am to find I couldn't open the door. And calling his ass, he apparently kept a spare key. Guess where? Outside the door. And the other two flatties were away as well. Door is solid and didn't want to really break it. So called around for options, a Kiwi mate of mine who is a mountaineer offered to help. And so we did. So yeah, I became (probably) the first American out of this specific London flat. Maybe. With another Kiwi. Was quite a spectacle. The cops came over as well asking for IDs, to see what the **** was going on with all these professional ropes and shit hanging down 3 stories and two people abseiling down.

So yeah, that was my fun Saturday morning. I won't forget it. Was all very strange. Like life.
That reminds me ........ (thread drift) ........ on the topic mentioned above:

I was back in UK on leave from 2 REP in the early eighties and dropped in on a mate from CCF who was in the OTC at UMIST. He later went to Silicon Valley and earned a mint - where did I go wrong? Oh, wait I know; I dropped out of Sixth Form and joined the Foreign Legion.

We went on the lash and then decided that it would be a good idea to go abseiling off a block of flats at silly-o'clock. He had all the gear as he was an avid climber. So (fark knows where we were) we got to the roof of a suitable building, roped up and away we went - whee - great fun! Let's go again.

Second time down, a window opens and a woman says in broad Mancunian "What are you doing out there?" Quick as a flash my mate (middle class southern accent) replies - "We're from the council and we're cleaning the windows." Window shuts and we believe that she bought it - so we go around for another go. This time when we're on our way down again the local rozzers turn up and we're nicked. We are very cooperative. Upon hearing our stories and probably thinking "what a couple of nutters" they let us go with a warning.

Last edited:
FNC

I am now officially He Who Shouts At Pigeons - bastard flying vermin.

I am also one of the few people who will actually confess to liking London - but only a day or two at a time.

Then I remember why I no longer spend three hours a day getting to/from an office.

• Adastral House
  • Admiralty Arch
  • Empress State Bldg/RAF Hendon
  • St Christopher House
  • Stuart House

- Svoboda!
Those buildings are a blast from the past. Most of them long gone now

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
yeah, I know.....Adastral is now Warner Bros :) and that lowlife White Star steward John Prescott took over Admiralty Arch and then lost interest....CGRM should mount a swift and bold squatting raid and reclaim it for the Armed Forces.

Last edited:
We went on the lash and then decided that it would be a good idea to go abseiling off a block of lats at silly-o'clock. He had all the gear as he was an avid climber. So (fark knows where we were) we got to the roof of a suitable building, roped up and away we went - whee - great fun! Let's go again.
People still do it now, except they days a lot of places have motion sensors and land sharks

Some of the old asylums that have been redeveloped into housing a fun to play around, plenty of places to climb but can be a bit precarious in some of them due to fire damage

These days it's just called Urbex (Plenty of forums out there), and plod are still likely to let you go unless you're somewhere really sensitive including a lot of London landmarks

So just rope, torches and camera gear, and with any luck you'll just get kicked out

So a friend told me...

Will be working my first part time last minute 7 hour temp job today in a bar. Pays 10quid/hr. Not much, but something. Should be interesting.
Christ were we slammed - it was a work party catering to about 700 ish people. Only just came back. Also realized that I am great at giving tips but not accepting them. I refused about 20 to 25 in tips - which is stupid as I am running out of money. Also this has to be the hardest 70 quid I made in the last 10 to 15 years. I completely forgot how hard it can be.

Sadly London inside the M25 has become a bubble isolated from the rest of the country’s reality. It’s almost reached the status of passport to Pimlico, where you need to apply for a visa to get in and out.
Economically, politically and socially isolated by the price of a bedspace, it has been bequeathed to professional politicians and Albanian, Bulgarian and Romanian Mafia.
Even the London wide boy criminal classes have left for the Mediterranean, or Asia, where they can give it large with impunity.

Time to cut it loose from the real world, and let the Russian and Arab oligarchs take over the real estate business completely.

That reminds me ........ (thread drift) ........ on the topic mentioned above:

I was back in UK on leave from 2 REP in the early eighties and dropped in on a mate from CCF who was in the OTC at UMIST. He later went to Silicon Valley and earned a mint - where did I go wrong? Oh, wait I know; I dropped out of Sixth Form and joined the Foreign Legion.

We went on the lash and then decided that it would be a good idea to go abseiling off a block of flats at silly-o'clock. He had all the gear as he was an avid climber. So (fark knows where we were) we got to the roof of a suitable building, roped up and away we went - whee - great fun! Let's go again.

Second time down, a window opens and a woman says in broad Mancunian "What are you doing out there?" Quick as a flash my mate (middle class southern accent) replies - "We're from the council and we're cleaning the windows." Window shuts and we believe that she bought it - so we go around for another go. This time when we're on our way down again the local rozzers turn up and we're nicked. We are very cooperative. Upon hearing our stories and probably thinking "what a couple of nutters" they let us go with a warning.
I got arrested on a roof after a bit of urban mountaineering (beer was involved).

The copper was overcome with vertigo and we had to help him down.

Who the bloody hell designs or converts flats in London? The bog is upstairs with no sink and the shower is downstairs. So you have to saunter up and down the stairs trying to wash your hands. I kept a hand sanitizer in my room for the middle of the night moments. Brits don't seem to do logic. Not the first instance either. Or maybe it's just London.

Who the bloody hell designs or converts flats in London? The bog is upstairs with no sink and the shower is downstairs. So you have to saunter up and down the stairs trying to wash your hands. I kept a hand sanitizer in my room for the middle of the night moments. Brits don't seem to do logic. Not the first instance either. Or maybe it's just London.
Probably an unauthorised conversion, as building reg's stipulate there must be a sink in with the bog.

@Condottiere

I was minding my own business at Hendon reading law notes once (I did bother, I know it may not sound like it) when I saw something pass my window.

As I looked at some chaps in baby grows were abseiling down the block. SO19 may be pricks who don't do real policing and never carry a pen, but that did look fun.

@lokiuk

I lurk on the Reddit Urbex forum, there are some great London images there!

The building developer and your landlord probably aren't British.

Yes, it's just London.

@Condottiere

I was minding my own business at Hendon reading law notes once (I did bother, I know it may not sound like it) when I saw something pass my window.

As I looked at some chaps in baby grows were abseiling down the block. SO19 may be pricks who don't do real policing and never carry a pen, but that did look fun.

@lokiuk

I lurk on the Reddit Urbex forum, there are some great London images there!
Won't get me doing that I haven't got a head for heights, strange I can hang out of a helicopter fine and don't get vertigo, actually climb something and look down and I'm not liking it. You won't get me doing proper climbing these days

And those famous London landmarks, I don't get how they manage some of them

I know some popular locations have motion sensors yet people still climb and don't get caught, and you see them bragging about their photos on urbex fora

It makes me think, did they really blag permission to do, and then post on urbex forums that they sneaked up there, it's the more believable tale

Christ were we slammed - it was a work party catering to about 700 ish people. Only just came back. Also realized that I am great at giving tips but not accepting them. I refused about 20 to 25 in tips - which is stupid as I am running out of money. Also this has to be the hardest 70 quid I made in the last 10 to 15 years. I completely forgot how hard it can be.
I do sort of miss those days of getting paid for doing something physical. When I was serving people in a pub / serving on a till / prepping kit as a technician there was a definite sense at the end of a shift that I had actually accomplished something. Shifting bags of cement in a warehouse was the best one - left alone for 2 hours and just moving stuff from one pallet to another, quite soothing in a mindless repetition, almost meditation sense.

These days I end the day with a big stack of paperwork to get through (which I'm halfway through and taking a break from) and wondering if I actually achieved anything today. Still, if I was in my old jobs I'd be moaning about the shit wages and lack of mental stimulation so it's probably a grass is always greener situation.

Plus London is shit.

Plus London is shit.
Maybe your own personal opinion but not mine. I have had a difficult 6 months or so here (personally) but I still think it's a fantastic place. Sure, I can maybe only afford to be here for another month or so without a real job but I still love it.

Like I always say with any big city. You like it or you don't. And there's nothing wrong with either of those.