London Musings...

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
As usual there seem to be a lot of experts knowledgeable about eels.

I wonder how many have ever actually tried eels, whether dressed, in sauce, or jellied.

Seems more like a Marmite thing for some.

As usual there seem to be a lot of experts knowledgeable about eels.

I wonder how many have ever actually tried eels, whether dressed, in sauce, or jellied.

Seems more like a Marmite thing for some.
I’ve had them smoked, roasted and some fried thing in Italy that they said was eel and enjoyed them tremendously, and would have them again.

I don’t like Marmite either but I would rather bathe in it and use it for toothpaste than eat jellied eels.

Is it just the look that puts you off ?

You just discard the skin and bones, and you're left with a fragrant white meat in a fishy jelly.

I've only had it about 4 times, but it was gorgeous...... I wish I could source it up here.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve had them smoked, roasted and some fried thing in Italy that they said was eel and enjoyed them tremendously, and would have them again.
But not jellied.

Is it just the look that puts you off ?

You just discard the skin and bones, and you're left with a fragrant white meat in a fishy jelly.

I've only had it about 4 times, but it was gorgeous...... I wish I could source it up here.
Perhaps I should have said

“I don’t like Marmite either but I would rather bathe in it and use it for toothpaste than eat jellied eels again”.

I ate them when I was younger and hated them. Tried them again in a pub a few years after that bought from those chaps that come round with the trays of cockles etc. Disgusting. Tried again 20 odd years later as tastes change as you get older. If anything they were worse than I remembered.

Just no.

Moved from London to Kelso in the Scottish Borders just recently. Keeping the London flat, just doing it up for rental now. But it gives us an option to return in the future. Mum and kids from LHG mk1 still in the Smoke.

I’m OK here, despite being a complete Londoner; but LHG mk2 having trouble adjusting, despite being Scottish. Mini-me is oblivious so long as his current priorities are met.

Swings and roundabouts really. Pros and cons with both locations. But I believe that this is right for us at this time.

Will be working my first part time last minute 7 hour temp job today in a bar. Pays 10quid/hr. Not much, but something. Should be interesting.

. . . that will be because haggis is delicious . .but we digress.
Quite right. But be sure to obtain your haggis from a reputable butcher who makes his own on the premises. Supermarket haggis tends to be not as good. Do not even think of buying deep-fried haggis in batter from a dodgy back-street chippy!