London Musings...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I was merrily walking away around wearing some sunnies in a t-shirt (green, obviously) and it changed so suddenly it was hilarious. A good 30 min of constant hail. I managed to duck into a pub to take cover.
Another plastic Paddy or do you wear colours to suit the patron Saint of the day, perhaps red 7 white on 23rd April?

Another plastic Paddy or do you wear colours to suit the patron Saint of the day, perhaps red 7 white on 23rd April?
It was a bit of a coincidence, if I am honest. I did a lot of washing yesterday and one of the very few Ts left in my drawer was this green one, so I said, why not?

It's a sad day here in London - even a lot of the Brits I know are feeling it. I know a good few Kiwis who live here, some of them from actually Christchurch and they can't believe it.

I ponied up a £1 for an NZ flag for my backpack and a random Kiwi girl on the tube (from Christchurch, yes) came over and sat next to me saying she was late from work and wanted to see how things went at the gathering. And Londonders around kept saying, good on you mate. The topic I kept overhearing on the Tube today was the NZ shootings.

All in all, felt a bit surreal to be at the NZ Memorial at the gathering, next to Hyde Park. A bit of a weird and mournful day.
Well done & thank you.

That flag you purchased is currently making the survivors heal a lot quicker from their devastating high velocity GSWs.

You simpering penis.

Well done & thank you.

That flag you purchased is currently making the survivors heal a lot quicker from their devastating high velocity GSWs.

You simpering penis.
No - but 50p of that 1 quid I paid for was being donated by the shop to the victims fund. Not much, but every little helps and it was nice of them to do that. They were doing that for all Kiwi flag purchases.

I am always amazed how kid (and dog) friendly pubs are here in London (maybe the rest of the UK as well). Board games for you to pick and play, no restrictions on a lot of things, and actually the ability to bring your kids into an establishment (not a restaurant) which serves alcohol. So unlike the U.S.

It's all very civilized really.

I wouldn't normally complain but given my browser's built in spell checker insists on telling me how to spell in the American fashion that grates a bit.

Also, How to tell if someone is lying about London being a good place to live
Well, at heart I am American, so I don't think suddenly my spellings will change! And you know you can change your built in checker settings to other regions right? I don't know what you use but both Mozilla and Chrome offer both British and American english. Do that - will make you grate less! :)

I am always amazed how kid (and dog) friendly pubs are here in London (maybe the rest of the UK as well). Board games for you to pick and play, no restrictions on a lot of things, and actually the ability to bring your kids into an establishment (not a restaurant) which serves alcohol. So unlike the U.S.

It's all very civilized really.
Dogs are part of pub culture, provided they don’t eat the furniture, or the staff. It’s one of the reasons we have a Tap Room and a lounge in most pubs.

Pubs are a retreat for grown ups, not for kids. The trend towards child friendly pubs is a fairly recent one, of which I wholeheartedly disapprove.

I’m sure there are many venues designed just for kids, that will also unlock your wallet. These places are designed with children in mind, even with paid supervision from bored teenagers. Keep them out of the great British institution known as the pub.

Children should be restricted to the ‘Beer Garden’ where they can annoy all the smokers. ;)

I'm afraid, that there's an awful lot of Pubs now days, that refuse Dogs. They use the rules about having animals in Food preparation areas. And just use those rules to refuse Dogs admittance.

I'm afraid, that there's an awful lot of Pubs now days, that refuse Dogs. They use the rules about having animals in Food preparation areas. And just use those rules to refuse Dogs admittance.
If that's the case, I certainly haven't noticed in the East End of London - pretty much everyone of them, apart from the cocktail bar types seems to be dog friendly!

If that's the case, I certainly haven't noticed in the East End of London - pretty much everyone of them, apart from the cocktail bar types seems to be dog friendly!
Same here, I haven't spotted any pub in my bit of Surrey / Hampshire that bans dogs.

I vaguely remember one having a sign that said owners with dogs may be asked to leave but I assume that was to allow them to kick out owners of violent/yappy dogs. The only exception I think are Wetherspoons and as they are in town centres it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
British_And_Proud The Intelligence Cell 603
triggerigger Current Affairs, News and Analysis 818
C Jobs Offered 1