London Musings...

I used to have a pint of Guinness at a Wetherspoons in an airport along with my morning breakfast when I was flying off to hols.

A tradition I learned from my British friends.

Also, there are quite a lot of shift workers coming off work, when morning is their time to relax, so for them buying/ drinking booze in the morning isn't weird, even if they sometimes get dirty looks. But f others, who cares.

When I recently finished a temp job where I was working till 3/4am, I sat on a London bus alone, nursing a can of free beer from that bar....looking like a sterotypical alkie. 3 to 5am in a weird zone when you see so many things which are not usually considered "normal."
You really must get out of fucking London!

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I used to have a pint of Guinness at a Wetherspoons in an airport along with my morning breakfast when I was flying off to hols.

A tradition I learned from my British friends.

Also, there are quite a lot of shift workers coming off work, when morning is their time to relax, so for them buying/ drinking booze in the morning isn't weird, even if they sometimes get dirty looks. But f others, who cares.

When I recently finished a temp job where I was working till 3/4am, I sat on a London bus alone, nursing a can of free beer from that bar....looking like a sterotypical alkie. 3 to 5am in a weird zone when you see so many things which are not usually considered "normal."
Drinking in the morning is great.

I used to work the evening shift in a computer room. Supposed to do 5pm to 2am but usually skipped “lunch” break and worked our nuts off to slope off about midnight. Back to someone’s house for beer. At 5am we would go to Brentford where all the pubs around Brentford veg market were open. Carry on drinking. Get the bus home around 08:30 somewhat the worse for wear. All the commuters muttering under their breath about alcoholics and dossers. Then the bastards sent me to Saudi which impinged on the boozing.

At university we got our student grant at the start of each term and went on a 24 hour bender. Student bar 12-2. Over the road to the pub for 2-3. A cafe called Angies off Fleet Street for megagrease stomach lining with wine from El Vinos. Back in the pub from 5.30-10.30. Various dingy clubs until very late/early. Boozers in Smithfield Market at 5am. Back in the student bar at noon having left a trail of wounded in action, MIA, AWOL and dead all over central London.

Even forty+ years later I would do it all again tomorrow if a mate or two suggested it.

I used to work the evening shift in a computer room. Supposed to do 5pm to 2am but usually skipped “lunch” break and worked our nuts off to slope off about midnight. Back to someone’s house for beer. At 5am we would go to Brentford where all the pubs around Brentford veg market were open. Carry on drinking. Get the bus home around 08:30 somewhat the worse for wear. All the commuters muttering under their breath about alcoholics and dossers. Then the bastards sent me to Saudi which impinged on the boozing.

At university we got our student grant at the start of each term and went on a 24 hour bender. Student bar 12-2. Over the road to the pub for 2-3. A cafe called Angies off Fleet Street for megagrease stomach lining with wine from El Vinos. Back in the pub from 5.30-10.30. Various dingy clubs until very late/early. Boozers in Smithfield Market at 5am. Back in the student bar at noon having left a trail of wounded in action, MIA, AWOL and dead all over central London.

Even forty+ years later I would do it all again tomorrow if a mate or two suggested it.

Pints at dawn: is this last call for London's market pubs?

There's a pub near Billingsgate, when I used to live there which was open at the crack of dawn. I can't remember now - cash only. And I was one of the most foreign person who used to show up there - they did some great roasts. Don't know if they are still open now, was a few years ago now.

All the pubs around the markets Covent Garden, Smithfield, Spitalfields all had pubs that opened at around 0500 and closed again ar 0900 just for the market workers. When delivering to the markets in the 80s I'd finish delivery's in the pub for Brekkie and beer, then bed in the truck.

When I was 18 I used to work with some lovely Irish lads who showed me all the dodgy all night bars... the type you actually needed a password to get into. It was great... by Uni I was a little too military to get away with those so it was the all night internet cafes when I was stranded in London. I miss those.

All the pubs around the markets Covent Garden, Smithfield, Spitalfields all had pubs that opened at around 0500 and closed again ar 0900 just for the market workers. When delivering to the markets in the 80s I'd finish delivery's in the pub for Brekkie and beer, then bed in the truck.
Covent Garden was just shutting down as I started university. Moved out to Nine Elms and the pubs stopped early opening around 1977/78. Great shame.

Brentford Market was West London’s version of Covent Garden market (ie fruit, veg, flowers). It closed down as well and was replaced by Southall Market.

The breakfasts in the Smithfield pubs were a joy to behold, unless you were a vegetableist. Full Smithfield included steak, lamb chop, pork chop, sausages, bacon, liver, kidneys, black pudding, gammon, eggs and all the usual suspects (apart from bleeding hash brownies which no civilised Brit ate in the 1970s. And not since either. “Greasy, slimy potato product sir?”).

There is a good Hitchcock film about the market but I forgot the title (there may be causal factors at work here).

When I was 18 I used to work with some lovely Irish lads who showed me all the dodgy all night bars... the type you actually needed a password to get into. It was great... by Uni I was a little too military to get away with those so it was the all night internet cafes when I was stranded in London. I miss those.
Bleeding youngsters. With your all day opening, all night clubbing and 24/7 Internet cafes. You never knew real hardship.

When I were but a lad you had to work hard at 24/7 boozing and trudge all around central London from boozer to club to cafe.

There were two types of password protected dodgy all nighter. The boozer ones for the functioning (and not so functioning) alcoholics and the sleazy pervy ones with somewhat jaded strippers. What’s not to like (although I imagine you avoided the latter).

Bleeding youngsters. With your all day opening, all night clubbing and 24/7 Internet cafes. You never knew real hardship.

When I were but a lad you had to work hard at 24/7 boozing and trudge all around central London from boozer to club to cafe.

There were two types of password protected dodgy all nighter. The boozer ones for the functioning (and not so functioning) alcoholics and the sleazy pervy ones with somewhat jaded strippers. What’s not to like (although I imagine you avoided the latter).
The Irish bars were definitely of the former variety - this was back in the mid 90s. Thank goodness I can drink whiskey like water though so they didn't rapidly turn into the latter. Also I hate Guinness with a passion

Drinking in the morning generally sucks - take it from me as an alkie -never really like doing it even in college days - I only ever drink early if I have been drinking the whole night with a brief lull and pick it up again.

For me, the earliest I can pick something alco is only after 12, more like 5pm in the evening. Though, sometimes, I wonder why we have these arbitrary hours. More late night musings eh? I did have a drink tonight with my Aussie flatmate who just broke up with his GF and insisted I have a drink.

Stansted raised their game this morning, apparently, given there is nowhere to sit, they have cordoned off a large area of the airport and then go around kicking people awake. Total twats.

Pints at dawn: is this last call for London's market pubs?

There's a pub near Billingsgate, when I used to live there which was open at the crack of dawn. I can't remember now - cash only. And I was one of the most foreign person who used to show up there - they did some great roasts. Don't know if they are still open now, was a few years ago now.
Used to be a pub in Stratford near the rail yards which opened at 6.00am for the railworkers. The Landlord was the oldest skinhead in the world, jeans braces etc, looked like Dick Emery's skinhead grandad. Local police used to use it as well (Hackney, Leyton, East Ham etc). Rule was no women allowed in the bar. but could have a drink taken out to their car (1980s).