London Musings...

@Joker62

p.s: they also do those uni student discounts vouchers, which means you can get a Shipyard for 1.79....and they have a zillion other options and offers....no wonder it's packed. The funny thing is that if you present a voucher for a drink or something, they ask you to keep it for another use - unlike say in Canary Wharf, which they retain it., ....good marketing and customer retention strategy I suppose.

It's such a weird 'Spoons experience compared to anything else I've experienced.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
@Joker62

p.s: they also do those uni student discounts vouchers, which means you can get a Shipyard for 1.79....and they have a zillion other options and offers....no wonder it's packed. The funny thing is that if you present a voucher for a drink or something, they ask you to keep it for another use - unlike say in Canary Wharf, which they retain it., ....good marketing and customer retention strategy I suppose.

It's such a weird 'Spoons experience compared to anything else I've experienced.
TBH, the serving staff are giving drinks away, the vouchers have to equate to the amount of stock sold when they have a stocktake. A bad stock reflects badly on the manager, which in turn reflects badly on the staff. If the manager thinks that his staff are giving drinks away, and they are here, he should be sacking them. The vouchers are basically cash, if the stock sold and "cash" don't add up, the stocktaker will find it and report it. Also the pub staff bonuses are also reliant on a good stock result, so they are really fuçking themselves up.
Its theft, pure and simple.

TBH, the serving staff are giving drinks away, the vouchers have to equate to the amount of stock sold when they have a stocktake. A bad stock reflects badly on the manager, which in turn reflects badly on the staff. If the manager thinks that his staff are giving drinks away, and they are here, he should be sacking them. The vouchers are basically cash, if the stock sold and "cash" don't add up, the stocktaker will find it and report it. Also the pub staff bonuses are also reliant on a good stock result, so they are really fuçking themselves up.
Do you still work for ‘Spoons? The boss says prices will go down after Brexit, which is big of him.
I called in last week with the Missus. We only wanted a swift half, but the place was full of howling loons. No chance of getting served, no skin off my nose.
The whole franchise is grim.

I have no idea what's going on there. It's all just bizarre. At the Ledger building in the 'Wharf, they kept the vouchers. I am cool with it - more for me.

Both are nice places though - the younger totty at the Stepney Green one is much better - lot less suits.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Do you still work for ‘Spoons? The boss says prices will go down after Brexit, which is big of him.
I called in last week with the Missus. We only wanted a swift half, but the place was full of howling loons. No chance of getting served, no skin off my nose.
The whole franchise is grim.
Gave up a few years back due to the opening times, having to get in at 6am to open at 8am after a close when you may not get away until 1am and then have to travel home. Spoons does tend to attract the loons, cheap booze and early opening helps. There are some decent ones, mainly city centre, local one not so much.

Gave up a few years back due to the opening times, having to get in at 6am to open at 8am after a close when you may not get away until 1am and then have to travel home. Spoons does tend to attract the loons, cheap booze and early opening helps. There are some decent ones, mainly city centre, local one not so much.
I have an Italian friend who works at 'Spoons (the Ledger Building) and he says the pace and hours are brutal.

Even if that specific 'Spoons is one of the better ones. It's also one of those odd ones where the weekdays are super busy while weekends are dead, because it being located in the 'Wharf when all the suits go home during the weekend.

Persuading an estranged Aussie who's lived in London for 10 years, with his his brother, I randomly met, to go back to OZ is not fun.

Trying to gently say no to a flattie who who offers and insists that you taste some of home baked cookies "of the Amsterdam kind" is no fun. And he works for Microsoft research as a VP. Yes a VP with well over 6 figure salary flatting in London.

He is French and a quasi hipster, so who knows...

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
That would be 'The Slaughtered Lamb' then ?

That would be 'The Slaughtered Lamb' then ?

There's a pub like that on the edge of Denbigh Moors, you can here a pin drop if you visit

Last day of discount voucher validity, so popped into the Ledger Building to use them up!

It's mad not to use them when a Doombar is 4.99 at regular price and you can get it at 1.79.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads