London Musings...

Woking was the first place the Martians destroyed in the war of the world's... Having lived there in the past, I would be pro Martian the whole way
It would appear that Woking will be back in the news, a TV company has made a series of "The War of the Worlds" in it's original time and setting, can't wait, great book.

I agree with you.

It's hard to tell after half a century but that looks like the southern bank just upstream from Putney Bridge (where all the rowing clubs are now). I used to live just back and to the left. The water is frequently that high, much to the dismay (and the delight of locals) of motorists who park there seemingly unaware of the concept of tides.

A very enjoyable days walk from there to Greenwich. Or Waterloo to Greenwich if you are a lazy git. Get the Thames Clipper back after dusk to see London all lit up at night.
Just an aside - they filmed The Sweeney here, twice. We visited as a group a few years ago. One episode used the river side & rowing club & the first film used the tea bar (behind the photographer) as the meeting point before a dawn raid.

“Cup of tea George?”

“Yeah. 2 bags!”

Sorry, carry on.

The best place to check the tidal fall is Richmond Bridge, when they raise the dams under the arches.
Strictly that is Richmond Lock and Footbridge. Richmond Bridge is the stone one in the centre of Richmond. I posted pictures of them in the favourite bridges thread.

Oddly the road bridge inbetween the two is Twickenham Bridge.

Strictly that is Richmond Lock and Footbridge. Richmond Bridge is the stone one in the centre of Richmond. I posted pictures of them in the favourite bridges thread.

Oddly the road bridge inbetween the two is Twickenham Bridge.
Mea Culpa, I fished there as a stripling, the bus conductor always knew where we wanted to get off. :)

Just an aside - they filmed The Sweeney here, twice. We visited as a group a few years ago. One episode used the river side & rowing club & the first film used the tea bar (behind the photographer) as the meeting point before a dawn raid.

“Cup of tea George?”

“Yeah. 2 bags!”

Sorry, carry on.
Meh. They filmed a scene for the telly down the road from us with a car upended on a roundabout. Turned out it was for Hollyoaks and there were a lot of uncouths from L32 (Kirkby, Merseyside) running about. The shame! We had to move house.

“Cup of tea George?”

“Yeah. 2 bags!”

Sorry, carry on.
Always a good cup of coffee and a bacon sarnie from that greasy spoon, been there years.

Always a good cup of coffee and a bacon sarnie from that greasy spoon, been there years.
That greasy spoon at the apex of Lower Richmond Road and Putney Embakment vanished 25-30 years ago. Maybe more.

I lived in the flats opposite and the cafe was a much loved venue for curing hangovers with a mega grease-up and a gallon of black tea.

Followed by a brisk walk down to Barnes and starting again in the Sun Inn. Happy daze.

That greasy spoon at the apex of Lower Richmond Road and Putney Embakment vanished 25-30 years ago. Maybe more.

I lived in the flats opposite and the cafe was a much loved venue for curing hangovers with a mega grease-up and a gallon of black tea.

Followed by a brisk walk down to Barnes and starting again in the Sun Inn. Happy daze.
In the early 70's I used to take RCT advanced dvr trg students from Aldershot to London a couple of days before their test, that was where we had our lunch break.

Prior to that, at school I used to row at the Barn Elms Rowing Club (now defunct I believe) on a Friday afternoon, this was a stop off on the way to get the bus back to Hammersmith Broadway.

It used to be a nice quiet part of the Thames back then, sometimes cycled up there from Hammersmith Bridge on a Sunday morning, or from Barnes Common. The folly's of youth. :mrgreen:

It hasnt changed much between Hammersmith and Putney bridges. At least not on the south side. Still mostly that huge Harrods Depository (now converted to flats) and the nature reserve.

The north side has been tidied up a bit. For which read gentrified, with the old working class houses spruced up and worth millions. (Or at least priced at millions). Much of it is as it always was with the palace, Bishops Park and Craven Cottage hardly changing. (Apart from that ridiculous statue of Wacko Jacko stuck up by MoFa).

The Barn Elms boathouse is still there. I imagine it has a rowing club in it but I haven’t been there for a couple of years.

Last edited:
Soooooo....I forgot my keys and cards, apart from £20 in cash in my backpack and miraculously a BA Amex card (which I used for a McD's meal) I completely forgot about and which expires exactly in 2 days time as I just realized. So I figured this out only at midnight, while my flattie was still out. I managed to convince the pub lady to keep me in for a few hours to crash on the couch after they closed so I wouldn't shiver outside in the cold till my flatmate came back...good times. Just got back.

Soooooo....I forgot my keys and cards, apart from £20 in cash in my backpack and miraculously a BA Amex card (which I used for a McD's meal) I completely forgot about and which expires exactly in 2 days time as I just realized. So I figured this out only at midnight, while my flattie was still out. I managed to convince the pub lady to keep me in for a few hours to crash on the couch after they closed so I wouldn't shiver outside in the cold till my flatmate came back...good times. Just got back.
Was this the pub that you've been working at?