London Museums

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jagman, Nov 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Her indoors has talked me into a 3 or 4 day trip to London between christmas and New Year with the intention of having a poke around some of the capitals finer museums etc.
    I would like to do the Imperial War Museum and HMS Belfast at least. Possibly The Tower of London too.
    What I'm after, if you would be so kind, is recomendations. I'm a bit of a hillbilly and haven't been to London for 15 or 20 years and it would be useful to know whats a must see and what not particularly worth the bother :D

Any ideas?

2. The National Portait Gallery. It's also free.

3. South Kensington has the Natural History, Science and Victoria and Albert museums, all free apart from the special exhibits, also the British Museum in Russell Square, or the National Army Museum in Chelsea.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

The choice is vast, and the main museums are fairly obvious ie British, Natural History, Science, National Gallery etc.

Maybe if you give us a hint of what your and her interests are we might be able to come up with something a little less on the beaten track?

BTW Timeout London ( http://www.timeout.com/london ) details most of the current exhibitions, and also has this rather interesting list: Best Unsung Museums

5. I'd definitely give the London Dungeon a miss- its a rip off.

Imperial War Museum- probably worth a visit if you've not been there before but I'm a bit biased against it as I grew up near it and remember it when it was a real treasure trove so I find it a bit sterile since it was 'updated' and lost a lot of it's content.

Obviously it's a personal choice and it depends on individual interests but for me the must-do's would be;
    1. The National Army Museum, Chelsea,
    2. The Science Museum (fascinating even if you're not into science!)
    3 A trip on the Docklands Light Railway via Canary Wharf then a walk under the Thames foot tunnel and then going up through Greenwich Park to the Observatory and then having a look around the National Maritime Museum.

6. Cheers fellas, Mrs Jagman has a particular interest in ancient Egyptian type stuff whereas I'm more inlined to wartime type things like te Cabinet War-Rooms, I remeber visiting HMS Belfast as a kid so I intend to do that again.
    The NAtional Army Museum sounds interesting too, will look into that
    Fortunatley most seem to re-open on the 27th so Christmas is no problem
    Got about 4 days to play with and nothing to do but see the sights!

7. For ancient Egyptian, the British Museum is a must. Lots of mummies etc, plus all the Greek/Roman stuff as well. And loads of other stuff too. Real treasure trove.

8. Just in case you confuse the gent with your geographical description here. The 'foot tunnel' is at Island Gardens, several short hops down from Canary Wharf. But yes it's a good call.
    Alternatively, a river boat trip from stations on South Bank or Embankment side to Greenwich etc. Perhaps DLR there and boat it on the return?

9. Why not do a day trip on your trip, both Oxford and Cambridge are less than an hour away by train.

10. My bold - I can assure you, that's a good call. Several easy to manage floors with a combination of tactile as well as visual displays. It covers the periods from the Romans to present Telic and Herrick ops.

11. Mmmmh, browsing the suggestions so far it looks like there is an awful lot to choose from!
    I'll put the British Museum on the list to kee Mrs Jagman happy! I guess The Science Museum looks worth a visit too.
    I like the DLR, foot tunnel Maritime Museum idea, The Kew Bridge Steam Museum sounds interesting too, anyone been there?

12. Gremlin

Seconded, the BM is a must see for Egyptology, plus it is one of the few museums that allow you to photograph the exhibits- most ban it for copyright reasons.

If it is 'ancient' that she is into, then the V&A is also a must for the Greek and Roman sculpture.

The Museum of London has quite a lot of 'Londinium' specific roman stuff as well.

13. My bold - seconded. Be warned though, the V&A has fantastic shopping displays as well. I mean, you will be accompanied by the frau so best be advised. :D

14. Gremlin

Yup, went to a 40th party there. Lots of big clunky metal things that Fred Dibner would have loved, very very Victorian! Combine it with a walk around Kew Gardens if you have the time, or visit the National Archives nearby if you want to check a relatives Service Details (skip the last, your wife would throttle you! :) )

15. Wellcome Museum of the History of Medicine. Fascinating and one of my favourites. Makes you appreciate modern medicine and the NHS!
    (Top floor of the Science Museum)

Tate Modern. Millbank Power Station. Art and stuff. Stop and look. Think. Don't dismiss it all as garbage. Some of it is very good.(Although some of it is garbage / überWank) The Turbine Hall, and the building itself is worth a visit. Lots of trendy bars and restaurants around there too.

White Cube Gallery, Hoxton. More modern art. Lots of trendy bars and cafes nearby too.

Not far from Whitechapel Gallery. Also pretty good new Modern Art (admission usually free)

The Bank of England Museum

(underneath err...The Bank of England. Much more interesting than it sounds. Really is quite fascinating. Great history.) Not Sundays. 9AM-7PM Mon-Sat

RAF Museum Hendon. Full of lovely aeroplanes...Sadly in the arse end of London, fcuk all of any interest around it.