London Museums

Her indoors has talked me into a 3 or 4 day trip to London between christmas and New Year with the intention of having a poke around some of the capitals finer museums etc.
I would like to do the Imperial War Museum and HMS Belfast at least. Possibly The Tower of London too.
What I'm after, if you would be so kind, is recomendations. I'm a bit of a hillbilly and haven't been to London for 15 or 20 years and it would be useful to know whats a must see and what not particularly worth the bother :D

Any ideas?

South Kensington has the Natural History, Science and Victoria and Albert museums, all free apart from the special exhibits, also the British Museum in Russell Square, or the National Army Museum in Chelsea.

The choice is vast, and the main museums are fairly obvious ie British, Natural History, Science, National Gallery etc.

Maybe if you give us a hint of what your and her interests are we might be able to come up with something a little less on the beaten track?

BTW Timeout London ( http://www.timeout.com/london ) details most of the current exhibitions, and also has this rather interesting list: Best Unsung Museums

I'd definitely give the London Dungeon a miss- its a rip off.

Imperial War Museum- probably worth a visit if you've not been there before but I'm a bit biased against it as I grew up near it and remember it when it was a real treasure trove so I find it a bit sterile since it was 'updated' and lost a lot of it's content.

Obviously it's a personal choice and it depends on individual interests but for me the must-do's would be;
1. The National Army Museum, Chelsea,
2. The Science Museum (fascinating even if you're not into science!)
3 A trip on the Docklands Light Railway via Canary Wharf then a walk under the Thames foot tunnel and then going up through Greenwich Park to the Observatory and then having a look around the National Maritime Museum.

Cheers fellas, Mrs Jagman has a particular interest in ancient Egyptian type stuff whereas I'm more inlined to wartime type things like te Cabinet War-Rooms, I remeber visiting HMS Belfast as a kid so I intend to do that again.
The NAtional Army Museum sounds interesting too, will look into that
Fortunatley most seem to re-open on the 27th so Christmas is no problem
Got about 4 days to play with and nothing to do but see the sights!

For ancient Egyptian, the British Museum is a must. Lots of mummies etc, plus all the Greek/Roman stuff as well. And loads of other stuff too. Real treasure trove.

Tawahi-50 said:
I'd definitely give the London Dungeon a miss- its a rip off.

Imperial War Museum- probably worth a visit if you've not been there before but I'm a bit biased against it as I grew up near it and remember it when it was a real treasure trove so I find it a bit sterile since it was 'updated' and lost a lot of it's content.

Obviously it's a personal choice and it depends on individual interests but for me the must-do's would be;
1. The National Army Museum, Chelsea,
2. The Science Museum (fascinating even if you're not into science!)
3 A trip on the Docklands Light Railway via Canary Wharf then a walk under the Thames foot tunnel and then going up through Greenwich Park to the Observatory and then having a look around the National Maritime Museum.
Just in case you confuse the gent with your geographical description here. The 'foot tunnel' is at Island Gardens, several short hops down from Canary Wharf. But yes it's a good call.
Alternatively, a river boat trip from stations on South Bank or Embankment side to Greenwich etc. Perhaps DLR there and boat it on the return?

jagman said:
Cheers fellas, Mrs Jagman has a particular interest in ancient Egyptian type stuff whereas I'm more inlined to wartime type things like te Cabinet War-Rooms, I remeber visiting HMS Belfast as a kid so I intend to do that again.
The NAtional Army Museum sounds interesting too, will look into that
Fortunatley most seem to re-open on the 27th so Christmas is no problem
Got about 4 days to play with and nothing to do but see the sights!
My bold - I can assure you, that's a good call. Several easy to manage floors with a combination of tactile as well as visual displays. It covers the periods from the Romans to present Telic and Herrick ops.

Mmmmh, browsing the suggestions so far it looks like there is an awful lot to choose from!
I'll put the British Museum on the list to kee Mrs Jagman happy! I guess The Science Museum looks worth a visit too.
I like the DLR, foot tunnel Maritime Museum idea, The Kew Bridge Steam Museum sounds interesting too, anyone been there?

smithie said:
For ancient Egyptian, the British Museum is a must. Lots of mummies etc, plus all the Greek/Roman stuff as well. And loads of other stuff too. Real treasure trove.
Seconded, the BM is a must see for Egyptology, plus it is one of the few museums that allow you to photograph the exhibits- most ban it for copyright reasons.

If it is 'ancient' that she is into, then the V&A is also a must for the Greek and Roman sculpture.

The Museum of London has quite a lot of 'Londinium' specific roman stuff as well.

Gremlin said:
smithie said:
Seconded, the BM is a must see for Egyptology, plus it is one of the few museums that allow you to photograph the exhibits- most ban it for copyright reasons.

If it is 'ancient' that she is into, then the V&A is also a must for the Greek and Roman sculpture.

The Museum of London has quite a lot of 'Londinium' specific roman stuff as well.
My bold - seconded. Be warned though, the V&A has fantastic shopping displays as well. I mean, you will be accompanied by the frau so best be advised. :D

jagman said:
Mmmmh, browsing the suggestions so far it looks like there is an awful lot to choose from!
I'll put the British Museum on the list to kee Mrs Jagman happy! I guess The Science Museum looks worth a visit too.
I like the DLR, foot tunnel Maritime Museum idea, The Kew Bridge Steam Museum sounds interesting too, anyone been there?
Yup, went to a 40th party there. Lots of big clunky metal things that Fred Dibner would have loved, very very Victorian! Combine it with a walk around Kew Gardens if you have the time, or visit the National Archives nearby if you want to check a relatives Service Details (skip the last, your wife would throttle you! :) )

Wellcome Museum of the History of Medicine. Fascinating and one of my favourites. Makes you appreciate modern medicine and the NHS!
(Top floor of the Science Museum)

Tate Modern. Millbank Power Station. Art and stuff. Stop and look. Think. Don't dismiss it all as garbage. Some of it is very good.(Although some of it is garbage / überWank) The Turbine Hall, and the building itself is worth a visit. Lots of trendy bars and restaurants around there too.

White Cube Gallery, Hoxton. More modern art. Lots of trendy bars and cafes nearby too.

Not far from Whitechapel Gallery. Also pretty good new Modern Art (admission usually free)

The Bank of England Museum

(underneath err...The Bank of England. Much more interesting than it sounds. Really is quite fascinating. Great history.) Not Sundays. 9AM-7PM Mon-Sat

RAF Museum Hendon. Full of lovely aeroplanes...Sadly in the arse end of London, fcuk all of any interest around it.

jagman said:
Her indoors has talked me into a 3 or 4 day trip to London between christmas and New Year with the intention of having a poke around some of the capitals finer museums etc.
I would like to do the Imperial War Museum and HMS Belfast at least. Possibly The Tower of London too.
What I'm after, if you would be so kind, is recomendations. I'm a bit of a hillbilly and haven't been to London for 15 or 20 years and it would be useful to know whats a must see and what not particularly worth the bother :D

Any ideas?
My favourites;
The British museum, the science museum, the natural history museum and the Imperial war museum.

Greenwich is a good visit, especialy if you go by the river. Do a touristy open top bus tour as they tell you a lot about the history as you travel around. The tower and crown jewels are worth seing and it is a nice walk over tower bridge and along the south bank towards Whitehall afterwards. Have a look in Covent garden foodhall, in the south one you get a lot of classically trained musicians busking.

http://www.davy.co.uk/crustingpipe

Alec_Lomas said:
Gremlin said:
smithie said:

My bold - seconded. Be warned though, the V&A has fantastic shopping displays as well. I mean, you will be accompanied by the frau so best be advised. :D
I consider myself fortunate to be blessed with a woman who hates shopping, no fears there :D
Having a quick browse at the V&A website now.

With the bigger museums like the British Museum, Science Museum etc how much time is it worth setting aside for them roughly? Will half a day do it or would you spend a full day there without seeing it all?

walt_of_the_walts said:
Wellcome Museum of the History of Medicine.

(Top floor of the Science Museum)

The Bank of England Museum

(underneath err...The Bank of England. Much more interesting than it sounds. Really is quite fascinating. Great history.) Not Sundays. 9AM-7PM Mon-Sat

RAF Museum Hendon. Full of lovely aeroplanes...
I'm only a few hours from RAF Cosford and plan to visit there in the new year, is it worth setting aside time to do Hendon as well or are they similar-ish?

jarrod248 said:
The pub outside of the IWM 'The three stags' is great and well worth a visit, very good food. I've been about 5 times and never managed to get in the museum but i'm sure it's great.
I did enjoy looking around HMS Belfast and the Tower of London but it's not cheap.
The cheapskate that is Mrs Jagman has booked a Premier Inn for £29 a night near a tube station soewhere in North London
I don't drink to speak of and can't eat nothing more adventurous than half a donner kebab anymore so not to worried about the price of the museums :D
May try the Three Stags for lunch though :D

I did fancy the Chatham Dockyard but I think its closed at that time.

jagman said:
With the bigger museums like the British Museum, Science Museum etc how much time is it worth setting aside for them roughly? Will half a day do it or would you spend a full day there without seeing it all?
TBH, that is mainly down to your browsing style and speed. I would guestimate half a day each on the above as some of the sectons may hold no interest for you at all. For example, how long do you really want to spend looking at the V&As carpet/rug collection?

If you start at opening you might just fit in the Science, V&A and Natural History in a oner (they are next door to each other) but that would be pushing it.

Without getting too militaristic about it, have a look at the exhibits/info on line and decide what you really want to see, then what would be nice to see and divide your day accordingly. You can always come back another year if you miss something, and the static exhibits do not change a huge amount. Trying to cram too much in will just put pressure on both of you, and will detract from enjoying it.