Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London Mint gives away silver thruppence coins

I used to collect coins as a kid, two things generally make the average person think a coin is valuable, its age and its silver content, generally both mean **** all, rarity (and sometimes condition) is what counts.
The journalist must be getting free drinks from the London mint, 8.50 for a silver threepence? Bollocks. You can check the guide price here
UK threepence coin values, 1801 to 1967

As these would have been in general circulation their condition probably will be the bottom of the "Fine" grading

You'd be lucky to get 30p for them.

Far from a million pound giveaway, the London mint has a load of crap coins which do have a silver content, anything before 1920 had 92.5 silver content anything after has 50% silver, 120000 X 1.4 grams divided by 2 is 84 kilos of silver. Silver is 450 quid a kilo so that's 37800 quid (and most metal dealers want you give them bars of solid silver not an alloy in coins.)

2.50 postage for 120000 coins is 300k plus they have your address for more "exclusive offers"

Last edited:
Meh. This mob would flog Baron of Castleshort 'gold' dubloons with amazing lobster obverse.

Meh. This mob would flog Baron of Castleshort 'gold' dubloons with amazing lobster obverse.

But do these interests in collecting and cataloguing your acquisitions have any real use?
@stacker1 :rolleyes:

Answer:- In the same way collecting anything does, stamps, silver, gold or bricks, its a personal interest thing, the difference in collecting coins over bricks, stamps, manhole covers, teddy bears, is that gold or silver coins are negotiable currency. I have been collecting coins for over 50 years in and out the army, and well before, Steer clear of any offer that says its free, as the catch is you will be receiving un-solicited coins on approval in the post, and will be inundated with junk mail from the many "Mints" that have sprung up, some are outright cons, others, genuine, I deal with 4 reputable company's, all others are highly suspect. remember, there is no such thing as free. Someone somewhere has to pay, and guess who that is?...........

ugly

LE
You are correct but... from the EU's website -

On the front of both series of euro banknotes, windows and doorways are shown. They symbolise the European spirit of openness and cooperation. The bridges on the back symbolise communication between the people of Europe and between Europe and the rest of the world.

Like the first series, the new Europa series banknotes show architectural styles from various periods in Europe's history, but do not show any actual existing monuments or bridges.
If it was a historical one they could show the Bremen rail viaduct after we bombed it!
Edited to add Bielefeld but we hit it so hard it ended up near Bremen in my mind:
C_005086.jpg

Last edited:
[G]old or silver coins are negotiable currency. I have been collecting coins for over 50 years in and out the army, and well before,

A story I've seen tells of an American who asked a European white collar worker why he would use part of his salary to buy a gold coin every month. The answer was, "If you had seen the mess our Governments sometimes make of the economy, you'd be buying them too!"

Last edited:
A story I've seen tells of an American who asked a European white collar worker why he would use part of his salary to buy a gold coin every month. The answer was, "If you had seen the mess our Governments sometimes make of the economy. you'd be buying them too!"

Never a truer word spoken in jest.

But do these interests in collecting and cataloguing your acquisitions have any real use?
@stacker1 :rolleyes:

If you get in early enough and there is continued interest, price tend to go up. All the commemorative shite (Stamps and well as coins) arent worth the effort, but some people have made a small fortune on coins.

Just found a 2019 Paddington Bear 50 p in my pocket and also a 2015 Royal Mint Royal Shield of Arms , if you can take any notice of fleabay they are worth more than face value.

My Mother has quite a collection of silver sixpences. They are brought out at Christmas, wrapped in greaseproof paper and put in the clootie dumpling. Woe betide you if you don't hand them back. Although her mother in law refused one year and that caused a very sour end of Christmas Day. Aberdonians eh!

Why does a 50 pence coin have 7 sides ?

So you can fit a spanner to remove it from the hands of Aberdonians !!

Just found a 2019 Paddington Bear 50 p in my pocket and also a 2015 Royal Mint Royal Shield of Arms , if you can take any notice of fleabay they are worth more than face value.

Only to a collector, the PB coin is on sale from the westminster mint for £4.50, brilliant uncirculated,.... used-worn, considerably less.

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Answer:- In the same way collecting anything does, stamps, silver, gold or bricks, its a personal interest thing, the difference in collecting coins over bricks, stamps, manhole covers, teddy bears, is that gold or silver coins are negotiable currency. I have been collecting coins for over 50 years in and out the army, and well before, Steer clear of any offer that says its free, as the catch is you will be receiving un-solicited coins on approval in the post, and will be inundated with junk mail from the many "Mints" that have sprung up, some are outright cons, others, genuine, I deal with 4 reputable company's, all others are highly suspect. remember, there is no such thing as free. Someone somewhere has to pay, and guess who that is?...........
I've had a few dealings with Silver Trader in Newcastle, well recommended.

CowboyBob

War Hero
If you are buying in bulk I would suggest looking to Germany. As we are still in the EU you can leverage their 7% VAT on silver.

Latest Threads