Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London Mint gives away silver thruppence coins

Mum & Dad probably still got original from the 50's.
Happy to sell for £50 first to post will buy. P&P extra

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Chef

LE
I always thought that decimalisation had the effect of destroying a major connection with the nation's past/history, getting the odd Victorian penny in one's change, plus all the other dates of significance to an individual. Plus the sense of identification in films when prices are mentioned. Albeit often with a sense of wonder that things were so cheap then. (And wages so low!).

Year zero for history, was 1971 and as I would imagine that there are few coins from that period as the 5p, 10p, 50p coins no longer exist in their original forms and the 1/2p is long gone. I'm not surprised that collecting is on the wane, although speculating seems to grow apace thanks to e-bay and the like.

The sheer size of pre-decimal is an eye opener, hit someone with a flying half crown and you'd do some damage. not that you'd waste the money.

Now where's my Kew Gardens 50p.

CowboyBob

War Hero
Often mistaken as the government owned official Royal Mint.

The Royal Mint = the real mint .
The London Mint = commercial operator.

They caught some flack a few years ago for offering free coins. Small print was you got the free coin then had to buy 11 over priced coins over a space of a year.

My Mother has quite a collection of silver sixpences. They are brought out at Christmas, wrapped in greaseproof paper and put in the clootie dumpling. Woe betide you if you don't hand them back. Although her mother in law refused one year and that caused a very sour end of Christmas Day. Aberdonians eh!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Is this the London Mint that sell over priced coins?
As opposed to the Royal Mint in Wales that mints real coins.

Edit. In Llantrisant. I knew it was a Scrabble score.

Charging £2.50 postage on something that will cost around £0.90 to post leaves reasonable margin if you buy the coins at <£0.10 .
I always thought that decimalisation had the effect of destroying a major connection with the nation's past/history, getting the odd Victorian penny in one's change, plus all the other dates of significance to an individual. Plus the sense of identification in films when prices are mentioned. Albeit often with a sense of wonder that things were so cheap then. (And wages so low!).

Year zero for history, was 1971 and as I would imagine that there are few coins from that period as the 5p, 10p, 50p coins no longer exist in their original forms and the 1/2p is long gone. I'm not surprised that collecting is on the wane, although speculating seems to grow apace thanks to e-bay and the like.

The sheer size of pre-decimal is an eye opener, hit someone with a flying half crown and you'd do some damage. not that you'd waste the money.

Now where's my Kew Gardens 50p.

Indeed, separating people from their history & traditions is the first step in marginalising their culture, which is perhaps why the buidlings depicted on Euro banknotes do not exist anywhere outside of the imagination of the designer.

Yours, apoligising for the thread drift and with Tinfoil Hat firmly affixed.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
My Mother has quite a collection of silver sixpences. They are brought out at Christmas, wrapped in greaseproof paper and put in the clootie dumpling. Woe betide you if you don't hand them back. Although her mother in law refused one year and that caused a very sour end of Christmas Day. Aberdonians eh!
I was in Haskins last month. I saw some food items (may have been individual Christmas puddings). With dirty, manky, been-in-a-Christ-pudding-already old sixpences taped inside the box. Thought, "Great marketing strategy. NOT!!!"

Indeed, separating people from their history & traditions is the first step in marginalising their culture, which is perhaps why the buidlings depicted on Euro banknotes do not exist anywhere outside of the imagination of the designer.

Yours, apoligising for the thread drift and with Tinfoil Hat firmly affixed.

Old news. I have a 5€ note in front of me with the Pont du Gard which definitely has existed since 40-60 AD.

Old news. I have a 5€ note in front of me with the Pont du Gard which definitely has existed since 40-60 AD.

You are correct but... from the EU's website -

On the front of both series of euro banknotes, windows and doorways are shown. They symbolise the European spirit of openness and cooperation. The bridges on the back symbolise communication between the people of Europe and between Europe and the rest of the world.

Like the first series, the new Europa series banknotes show architectural styles from various periods in Europe's history, but do not show any actual existing monuments or bridges.

Latest Threads