London Marathon

Going to enter the london marathon for next year.I know it is 4 months 14 days 14 hours 1 minutes 37 secounds away. But wonder if any of you arrsers had any idea what I could do to raise loads of cash :?

poet said:
Going to enter the london marathon for next year.I know it is 4 months 14 days 14 hours 1 minutes 37 secounds away. But wonder if any of you arrsers had any idea what I could do to raise loads of cash :?
Get round?

That sounded worse than it was meant to; I've only ever as far as half marathons; and that was reasonably tough to keep going (tiredness etc).

To make it all 26miles is an incredible achievement in itself; you don't have to dress as a dehydrated camel.

It's quite tough to be accepted as well; you normally won't get it the first year; unless a good runner or can prove you'll make a packet (apparently).

If I remember right was it polar69 who ran last year? If so you can ask him

poet said:
Support a good charity.
Ask lots of rich people.

Do something to make you stand out from everyone else running a marathon. Dress up, carry a bergan etc.

PB

Edited to add: Look here too
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1129

Thats right I ran it last year, well most of it :p

Its 4 months or so away, and the numbers were dished out last week so if you didnt enter by the end of october you are too late !!

I didnt get in this year ( phew ) but I can tell you its a huge commitment, not only the months of running, sometimes I was getting home at 22:00 and doing a 15 mile run ( ******* hero me ! ) but also if you are doing it for charity wringing money out of benfactors is a tad hard sometimes too !!

But I had great support from the guys and gals on here, would I do it again ? Too right

Read my blog for my thoughts on training and the big day

Good luck

poet said:
Poet,

The ballot for 2007 has already been drawn for individuals entering, so unless you've already been allocated a place the only way in now would be with a charity's 'Golden Bond' place. Ask some of your favourite or local charities if they still require runners, but bear in mind there will usually be a minimum sponsorship amount you have to guarantee raising. You'll have to move fast though, places are like rocking horse poo.

I wasn't fortunate enough to get a place for 2007, but am still training and have been placed on a reserve list to run for the Royal British Legion and am in contact with a few others.

Don't give up, keep training and as for fundraising having just raised £2k recently I found a combination of begging/bullying/blackmailing/brute force/tenacity works reasonably well :D

Best of luck.