London Marathon 2010

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Hitch, Sep 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Need some help and advice here. I want to run the 2010 London Marathon for a service related charity. I contacted H4H last week but they have no fixed places which they can offer and now I am about to try Combat Stress.

If anyone can suggest how I can secure a charitable place then I'd be grateful. (I am no longer serving if that helps).

Cheers!

2. They come under the heading of 'Golden Bond' places, you usually have to raise around £1000-£1500 for them. The RBL and SSAFA usually have quite a few places allocated to them so it may be worthwhile giving them a bell.
    Good luck.

3. That's roughly the amount they expect you to raise if they get you a place. I'm one of the lucky ones who gets an automatic entry every year!

4. Most of them, I get the magazine sent to me that holds the entry form and about 30 pages are taken up with Golden Bond places etc and they all roughly come in at the same amount.

5. 1.5 is a very conservative estimate, there are companys, er I mean charitys that ask for £4000, you can go into the ballot and still run for a charity, I did in 2006, just dont expect much in the way of gratitude.

Try RBL via your unit they are usually pretty good

6. I think entry is online only and will be closed for 2010 now.

7. It is and they are!

8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Good for age ? Shame then that a Page 3 girl is STILL faster over 26 miles :-D

Hitch - If you can't get in London - and there are three times as many applicants as there are places - you can always give the Paris Marathon a go - guaranteed entry and STILL raise dough for your chosen charity.

Goats ( who, as J-D knows, has absolutely NOTHING to boast about....PB 4:12 )

9. Thanks guys, so far I have my name on the ballot for Combat Stress and the RBL of course. Trying a few other service charities but I am really fixed on the London Marathon as I have yet to run that distance (only 21K until now) and always planned to do London.

Any other recommendations?

10. Hitch, do try Combat Stress, they're always looking for runners. I ran it in 2007 for them and the minimum sponsorship raise then was £1500. I was fortunate and raised almost £4k in the end but it isn't easy, especially if you regularly take part in fundraisers.

Combat Stress weren't too precious about the amount, I think if it hits £1k you should be alright. Shortly after accepting the Combat Stress place I was offered an RBL slot, it seems they're always looking for runners too. I'm aware other heavyweight charities ask £2 - 2.5k minimum. Best of luck, I'm in the ballot so I might see you there next April!

11. Yep, Combat Stress have a ballot for the 5 places they have. I have my name added to the ballot but I cannot be certain to get a spot. I would welcome any other service charity suggestions.

Cheers!

12. Tut Tut! Now you know she isn't!

13. There's loads around the country but the new Brighton one is a week before London and aimed at the people that couldn't get into it:

http://brightonmarathon.co.uk/

14. Hitch, as others have said try Combat Stress. I got one of their ballot places this year, they asked me to raise £1000 but thanks to the fantastic support of friends and family I doubled that.

Paris registration is now open and it is on a first come first served basis. The course is nice and flat and support gets better every year. You start off the on the Champs Elysées. I've signed up and there is a great thread going on here. There are loads of British charity runners each year, I've seen H4H, ABF and RAFA.

I've got my name in for the London ballot again. Still chasing that elusive sub 4h :lol:

edited to add see you are already in the CS ballot, fingers crossed your name comes up

15. I've got a place for 2010 - postponed ballot award from this year. Are we going to arrange some sort of meet up afterwards perhaps?