London Marathon 2010

#1
Need some help and advice here. I want to run the 2010 London Marathon for a service related charity. I contacted H4H last week but they have no fixed places which they can offer and now I am about to try Combat Stress.

If anyone can suggest how I can secure a charitable place then I'd be grateful. (I am no longer serving if that helps).

Cheers!
 
#2
They come under the heading of 'Golden Bond' places, you usually have to raise around £1000-£1500 for them. The RBL and SSAFA usually have quite a few places allocated to them so it may be worthwhile giving them a bell.
Good luck.
 
#3
Mr_Deputy said:
1 to 1.5k isnt too bad - still alot tho.
what is the min amount you need to raise for a charity? ie what will some let you run for in terms of min sponsorship?
That's roughly the amount they expect you to raise if they get you a place. I'm one of the lucky ones who gets an automatic entry every year!
 
#4
Mr_Deputy said:
jack-daniels said:
Mr_Deputy said:
1 to 1.5k isnt too bad - still alot tho.
what is the min amount you need to raise for a charity? ie what will some let you run for in terms of min sponsorship?
That's roughly the amount they expect you to raise if they get you a place. I'm one of the lucky ones who gets an automatic entry every year!
do you mean ALL of the charities? from memory that's about right. i've run the course before. would like to do it 'right' one year.
Most of them, I get the magazine sent to me that holds the entry form and about 30 pages are taken up with Golden Bond places etc and they all roughly come in at the same amount.
 
#5
1.5 is a very conservative estimate, there are companys, er I mean charitys that ask for £4000, you can go into the ballot and still run for a charity, I did in 2006, just dont expect much in the way of gratitude.

Try RBL via your unit they are usually pretty good
 

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
#8
jack-daniels said:
I'm one of the lucky ones who gets an automatic entry every year!
Good for age ? Shame then that a Page 3 girl is STILL faster over 26 miles :-D


Hitch - If you can't get in London - and there are three times as many applicants as there are places - you can always give the Paris Marathon a go - guaranteed entry and STILL raise dough for your chosen charity.

Goats ( who, as J-D knows, has absolutely NOTHING to boast about....PB 4:12 )
 
#9
Thanks guys, so far I have my name on the ballot for Combat Stress and the RBL of course. Trying a few other service charities but I am really fixed on the London Marathon as I have yet to run that distance (only 21K until now) and always planned to do London.

Any other recommendations?
 
#10
Hitch, do try Combat Stress, they're always looking for runners. I ran it in 2007 for them and the minimum sponsorship raise then was £1500. I was fortunate and raised almost £4k in the end but it isn't easy, especially if you regularly take part in fundraisers.

Combat Stress weren't too precious about the amount, I think if it hits £1k you should be alright. Shortly after accepting the Combat Stress place I was offered an RBL slot, it seems they're always looking for runners too. I'm aware other heavyweight charities ask £2 - 2.5k minimum. Best of luck, I'm in the ballot so I might see you there next April!
 
#11
Yep, Combat Stress have a ballot for the 5 places they have. I have my name added to the ballot but I cannot be certain to get a spot. I would welcome any other service charity suggestions.

Cheers!
 
#12
Goatman said:
jack-daniels said:
I'm one of the lucky ones who gets an automatic entry every year!
Good for age ? Shame then that a Page 3 girl is STILL faster over 26 miles :-D

Hitch - If you can't get in London - and there are three times as many applicants as there are places - you can always give the Paris Marathon a go - guaranteed entry and STILL raise dough for your chosen charity.

Goats ( who, as J-D knows, has absolutely NOTHING to boast about....PB 4:12 )
Tut Tut! Now you know she isn't!
 
#13
Hitch said:
Thanks guys, so far I have my name on the ballot for Combat Stress and the RBL of course. Trying a few other service charities but I am really fixed on the London Marathon as I have yet to run that distance (only 21K until now) and always planned to do London.

Any other recommendations?
There's loads around the country but the new Brighton one is a week before London and aimed at the people that couldn't get into it:

http://brightonmarathon.co.uk/
 
#14
Hitch, as others have said try Combat Stress. I got one of their ballot places this year, they asked me to raise £1000 but thanks to the fantastic support of friends and family I doubled that.

Paris registration is now open and it is on a first come first served basis. The course is nice and flat and support gets better every year. You start off the on the Champs Elysées. I've signed up and there is a great thread going on here. There are loads of British charity runners each year, I've seen H4H, ABF and RAFA.

I've got my name in for the London ballot again. Still chasing that elusive sub 4h :lol:

edited to add see you are already in the CS ballot, fingers crossed your name comes up
 
#15
I've got a place for 2010 - postponed ballot award from this year. Are we going to arrange some sort of meet up afterwards perhaps?
 
#16
Some of these charities want all sorts of details about fundraising plans. How did you folks deal with that previously? Not planning to dress up or do something silly, I just plan to run. My main plan would be to shame my non-British Euro colleagues into donating money to support British servicemen! ;-)
 

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
#18
Hitch,

as a lot of people on here will tell you - once you have a place the training and the marathon itself are the EASY part......chasing the money is the hard bit :)

Even on a community like ARRSE, it's tough going....times is hard, and there are so many outstanding causes.

Good luck with the Combat Stress place.....get a Justgiving page going and I'll stick some wedge on it...which I'll DOUBLE if you beat Jack Daniels time !

J-D,

just a reminder - LINKY

( How come the boy wonder David Beckham has never managed this race ? )
 
#19
Shite! She's a racing snake! Seems like she could give Swampy Paula some competition even if her shapely frame is encumbered by double zeppelins. Well done her though!

Did the Amsterdam Dam to Dam race (10 miles) a few weekends ago in 1hr 23mins and I would hope to aim for 3hrs 30mins for the marathon. But if I beat Ms McAndrew I'd definately ask for doubled donations.

No idea what time J-D got but just completing it is inspiring in my opinion
 
#20
Goatman said:
Hitch,

as a lot of people on here will tell you - once you have a place the training and the marathon itself are the EASY part......chasing the money is the hard bit :)

Even on a community like ARRSE, it's tough going....times is hard, and there are so many outstanding causes.

Good luck with the Combat Stress place.....get a Justgiving page going and I'll stick some wedge on it...which I'll DOUBLE if you beat Jack Daniels time !

J-D,

just a reminder - LINKY

( How come the boy wonder David Beckham has never managed this race ? )
I've only been slower than that once out of twelve!

JD - PB 2.52. 28
PW 3.12.02

Even my last one at the age of 43 I clocked 3.06. She's not bad I'll give her that but she's yet to go through the magical 3 hours!

Mind you, I did blow out once due to running with pleurisy!
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top