London Marathon 2006

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Goatman, Apr 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Best of luck to all the ARRSE folk who have a place in this year's FLM:

- Polar 69 - running for Arthritis Research Campaign - http://www.justgiving.com/runningforarc

- 2 PARA Company Clerk - running for Combat Stress

I'm sure there are one or two more...don't be shy, add your name and who you're running for, even if it's 'for the L of it '

If you're in London on Sunday - keep an eye out for them :)

Le Chevre

2. I thank you

On sunday I will mostly be running round Londininium behind lots of nice girls in lycra !

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

yeah....at least that's the plan Polar :)

http://www.bofunk.com/video/991/sexy_runner.html

Remember a girl called Nell McAndrew?[​IMG]

Here's her result from 2005:

You will find that the really fit birds are too fast for you :lol: .......I've dug out a pre-Marathon Check list someone sent me - only hard copy though...PM me if you want me to fax it over!

If anyone is going up to support a mate/partner/hotstuff wannabe this might be helpful:
    Source: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1803&v=1&sp=

Name in four inch letters in Non-Run Ink on FRONT of running top is a really positive help !

Have a great day you lucky crazy loonies! :lol:

Lee Shaver - FLM 2000,2002

4. Another ARRSE user - BigRed running for Army Benevolent Fund

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Good luck on the day BigRed.....see if you can beat Nell McAndrew's time...I'll buy you a pint if you do !

6. chris951 you are a gent, thank you

7. Good luck to all arrsers running, i be travelling down to chilwell onm sunday so wont be able to see much of it live, but hopefully be able to catch the highlights later.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL

8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Well done fellers

I put a Justgiving page up and thought it was going to bring the dosh rolling in.....well, it does - up to a point. But when you put the page up and get ZIP it can be a bit demoralising.

Just visited Pat Maginness' page and found to my horror nobody has sponsored him - now there's a challenge for ARRSERs!

Good effort guys, have a great day, enjoy it.

Le Chevre

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Last hit - good luck everyone....post your tales of triumph and disaster here on Monday !

Extract from RN version of " Check List for Marathon" c 2000

Night before - check weather forecast, drink plenty of water but no or minimal alcohol, cut toenails
    Morning - drink plenty of water until > 1 hour before the race, light breakfast, move bowels, eat banana > 1 hour before race

Running accessories

RACE NUMBER
    4 X safety pins - and 8 spare!
    Watch
    Vaseline
    Lip salve
    Sunscreen

Run bottle (with Isostar or other energy drink)
    Power Bar
    Kendal Mint Cake ( in my case, dried apricots)
    3 bananas
    500 ml Isostar before (plus make up a litre and ask someone to pass to you at the 22 mile marker! )

Misc
    Camera
    Towel and wash gear
    Toilet tissue
    Extra bag for "goodies" at registration and at Finish

Check how much you've been sponsored PER MILE eg £500 total equates to £19:08 per mile for the charity you've chosen.

....GO! GO! GO!

Le Chevre

10. Well I've done it, 26.2 miles

And it was bloody hard !!

Did it in 05:02, not what I expected from my training but I had to have at least one bad run

Will blog later

Thank you for everyone that sponsored me, I have raised around £600 for arc, if anyone still wants to sponsor me then the website is still open........

:D

Just wait till next year

11. Well done matey!!! :-D

12. Well, you have more balls than me - I could never do it!! Well done fella!

13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

PAT

PAT

PAT

Bravo Zulu that Polar.....bloody well done for getting round mate.......doesn't it just BURN you when Orinoco the Womble (or Elvis or that blasted woman dressed in a French Maid's outfit whose 'normal' time for the distance is 3:30 ) passes you on the Embankment :lol:

my first time was 4:58 - no matter how you've trained that feeling at 22 miles that your gonna DIE if you don't stop is hard to overcome!

Bit more respect for Nell McAndrew then ?

If there is a Missus Polar - she must resign herself to you having a another pop....because you're not going to let that time stand ARE you ! You're bitten mate, get used to it !

Good luck for FLM 2007 - if you are lucky enough to get trough the ballot, please consider running for Combat Stress.

well done feller....money on its way !

G'Man

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Pi$$ed off to see that bloater Jade Goody did no training and ended hospitalised at the 18 mile point. Another place given away to deny those who would like to give it an honest go can't!