London Marathon 2006

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Best of luck to all the ARRSE folk who have a place in this year's FLM:

- Polar 69 - running for Arthritis Research Campaign - http://www.justgiving.com/runningforarc

- 2 PARA Company Clerk - running for Combat Stress

I'm sure there are one or two more...don't be shy, add your name and who you're running for, even if it's 'for the L of it '

If you're in London on Sunday - keep an eye out for them :)

Le Chevre

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
yeah....at least that's the plan Polar :)

http://www.bofunk.com/video/991/sexy_runner.html

Remember a girl called Nell McAndrew?

Here's her result from 2005:

Results for:
NELL. MCANDREW

Marathon
Runner No.:

Nationality:
GBR

Club:
THAMES BALLEY HARRIERS

Position (Overall): 2017
Position (Gender): 157
Position (Age group): 38
Splits
KM10: 0:42:47 KM20: 1:27:58
HALF: 1:32:49 KM30: 2:13:06
KM40: 3:00:23 FINISH: 3:10:51
You will find that the really fit birds are too fast for you :lol: .......I've dug out a pre-Marathon Check list someone sent me - only hard copy though...PM me if you want me to fax it over!

If anyone is going up to support a mate/partner/hotstuff wannabe this might be helpful:
Source: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1803&v=1&sp=

Supporter's Guide To The Flora London Marathon

If you've spent the last three months with filthy trainers in the hall, half-thawed bags of frozen peas in the kitchen and training schedules pinned to the wall of the downstairs loo, the chances are you're a long-suffering supporter of a marathoner. Your final challenge: to get them to the start, cheer them on the way round, and be there with a smile and a gentle hug at the finish. Here's how to do it:

Before the race
During the 24 hours before the marathon, some runners are excited, all are nervous, and some are downright terrified. Do whatever you can to keep them calm. On the eve of the race, settle down with a DVD - preferably not a horror movie - and make sure your runner spends the evening with their feet up. Set your alarm as well as theirs, try to make sure they eat a familiar, low-fat breakfast on Sunday morning, and that if nothing else, they have their race number and Championchip when they leave the house - without them, they won't be able to run and record a time.

Viewing points
If you plan ahead, there is ample opportunity to cheer your runner on once, or even twice during the marathon, and still get to the Mall in time to meet them at the finish. Rifle through their official pre-race magazine and arm yourself with a course map, to start with.
And it's well worth printing out two RW pace bands - one for your runner to wear, and one for you to keep, so you know when to expect them. The Cutty Sark ship, just after the six-mile point, is a popular viewing point, but to avoid crowds it may be worth walking back down the course towards the five-mile marker to get a better view. Try to watch from the north side of the road (the right-hand side for the runners) - that means you can duck through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel and catch the runners again at 18 miles onthe other side of the Thames.

Alternatively, at Tower Bridge, the route crosses over itself - over the bridge at 12.5 miles, and then underneath it at 22 miles, providing a stark illustration of how a runner can change in the space of 10 miles. For somewhere less crowded, where your support will be welcomed, try the stretch between miles 14 and 20. Make sure to let your runner know where to expect you - a friendly face makes all the difference. And remind them to look out for the mile 17 RW forumite supporters - as if they could be missed...

Don't feel inhibited about shouting and cheering - many runners write their names on their vests so you can acknowledge them as they go past. An unexpected 'Go On, Dave!' will put a smile on the face of the most weary of plodders If you want to see the leaders zoom by, get in place early - the elite women start 45 minutes before the rest of the pack

Name in four inch letters in Non-Run Ink on FRONT of running top is a really positive help !

Have a great day you lucky crazy loonies! :lol:

Lee Shaver - FLM 2000,2002

Another ARRSE user - BigRed running for Army Benevolent Fund

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Good luck on the day BigRed.....see if you can beat Nell McAndrew's time...I'll buy you a pint if you do !

Good luck to all arrsers running, i be travelling down to chilwell onm sunday so wont be able to see much of it live, but hopefully be able to catch the highlights later.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well done fellers

I put a Justgiving page up and thought it was going to bring the dosh rolling in.....well, it does - up to a point. But when you put the page up and get ZIP it can be a bit demoralising.

Just visited Pat Maginness' page and found to my horror nobody has sponsored him - now there's a challenge for ARRSERs!

Good effort guys, have a great day, enjoy it.

Le Chevre

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Last hit - good luck everyone....post your tales of triumph and disaster here on Monday !

Extract from RN version of " Check List for Marathon" c 2000

Night before - check weather forecast, drink plenty of water but no or minimal alcohol, cut toenails
Morning - drink plenty of water until > 1 hour before the race, light breakfast, move bowels, eat banana > 1 hour before race

Running accessories

RACE NUMBER
4 X safety pins - and 8 spare!
Watch
Vaseline
Lip salve
Sunscreen

Run bottle (with Isostar or other energy drink)
Power Bar
Kendal Mint Cake ( in my case, dried apricots)
3 bananas
500 ml Isostar before (plus make up a litre and ask someone to pass to you at the 22 mile marker! )

Misc
Camera
Towel and wash gear
Toilet tissue
Extra bag for "goodies" at registration and at Finish

Check how much you've been sponsored PER MILE eg £500 total equates to £19:08 per mile for the charity you've chosen.

....GO! GO! GO!

Le Chevre

Well I've done it, 26.2 miles

And it was bloody hard !!

Did it in 05:02, not what I expected from my training but I had to have at least one bad run

Will blog later

Thank you for everyone that sponsored me, I have raised around £600 for arc, if anyone still wants to sponsor me then the website is still open........

:D

Just wait till next year

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well, you have more balls than me - I could never do it!! Well done fella!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
polar69 said:
Well I've done it, 26.2 miles

And it was bloody hard !!

Did it in 05:02, not what I expected from my training but I had to have at least one bad run

Just wait till next year
PAT

PAT

PAT

Bravo Zulu that Polar.....bloody well done for getting round mate.......doesn't it just BURN you when Orinoco the Womble (or Elvis or that blasted woman dressed in a French Maid's outfit whose 'normal' time for the distance is 3:30 ) passes you on the Embankment :lol:

my first time was 4:58 - no matter how you've trained that feeling at 22 miles that your gonna DIE if you don't stop is hard to overcome!

Bit more respect for Nell McAndrew then ?

If there is a Missus Polar - she must resign herself to you having a another pop....because you're not going to let that time stand ARE you ! You're bitten mate, get used to it !

Good luck for FLM 2007 - if you are lucky enough to get trough the ballot, please consider running for Combat Stress.

well done feller....money on its way !

G'Man

Ventress

LE
Pi$$ed off to see that bloater Jade Goody did no training and ended hospitalised at the 18 mile point. Another place given away to deny those who would like to give it an honest go can't!

Well done to all who completed the run. It's on my "to do" list (honest). :D

The pack would really annoy me. I like to start of fast and then slow down, so being caught in amongst all those people would put me in a bad mood from the start.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
StabTiffy2B said:
Well done to all who completed the run. It's on my "to do" list (honest). :D

The pack would really annoy me. I like to start of fast and then slow down, so being caught in amongst all those people would put me in a bad mood from the start.
That's a good strategy for London: if you can get clear of the seething mass in the first 5 miles and actually settle into your normal pace you've cracked it ....trouble is what works in a 10K can help you come a real cropper at 19 miles .

Marathoneers are about the most tolerant people I've come across - " ooops...sorry mate...'scuse me...ooops, sorry" is all you hear ..... but the urge to smack someone blocking the road in front of you by walking 6 abreast down the Embankment at 23 miles is pretty overwhelming ! (runner rage - get some water down you ! )

Ventress - I doubt very much that Jade " get over yourself" Goody went through the ballot - she'd have had one of the < sick bag> CELEBRITY </sb> places and a different start too.

Combat Stress had FIVE "Golden Bond" places on offer this year....I'd like to see them offer 50.

Trouble is they cost the charity money up front - which is why the likes of PHAB,Whizzkids,etc all ask you to commit to raising >1000 pounds in return for a place.

If you don't get a place in the ballot, it's worth asking about a Golden Bond place. I know King George's Fund for Sailors offer 50 a year and I'm pretty sure the ABF does too.

With so many people daft enough to want to have a pop its a good way to raise cash.

However, don't underestimate the hassle involved: anyone will tell you that running without the additional 'burden' of raising a certian sum is by far the best way to go :wink:

Le Chevre

I'd love to think that i will give it a go, but in reality its probably not going to happen as I really hate running (and advice for making it fun appreciated)

So much respect for those of you who went out and did it, well done and i bet the first pint afterwards tasted great!!!!

Ventress said:
Pi$$ed off to see that bloater Jade Goody did no training and ended hospitalised at the 18 mile point. Another place given away to deny those who would like to give it an honest go can't!
Calm down Ventress, that wasn't the sleb Goody. It was John Prescott in a Miss Piggy costume raising money for the Hollands pie foundation.