London Jocks

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by mushroom, Oct 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 95 years ago today the BEF hit rock bottom. Everything they had was committed and the Germans were coming back for more.

In an act of desperation the London Scottish moved into the line next to the Grenadiers on Messines ridge. The TA was for the first time committed.

At grievous cost (90% casualties) they held the line.

'Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it' as some wise man said.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. 72 hours from Drill Hall to hanging on the wire..

Strike Sure.
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

And as a Reward, today you get to share your (quite stunning) Drill Hall with the FANY :)

Seriously, the TA did themselves proud, and none more so than the London Scottish. Incidentally, did they go into action in Kilts or Trousers?
  4. 32 years since my first Hallowe'en Dinner.

Couldn't go last night but raised a glass. It was jolly lucky that windmill was on fire or they wouldn't have known where to shoot!
  5. the privilege is entirely ours :)
  6. Indeed... LONDONS return from Iraq.

7. Good photos Bravo_Bravo......did you ever get your flag back? :D
  8. Now theres a scary man in a blue hackle in that last picture.....
  9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A mere 27 since my first Halloween at 59. Unfortuantely I could not attend either this year.

One for the London Scottish is, and evermore shall be so...

PS I was doing a PFT in Derring Lines a few weeks ago and I saw a chap cutting about in a Guards Beret and backing with a LS badge. Is this the normal form now?
  10. Yes, it is.
  11. Kilts. My Great Uncle Jack was at Messines in the London Jocks. He said they used to have to wear big leather kilt covers over them to keep the mud off!
  12. My bad - Guards TRF; ToS, etc, as appropriate.

Sorry for any panic caused...

13. No. TRF and, for officers, garter rank stars only. Headdress remains ethnic apart from AGC/REME etc.

Not sure the jock badge would fit on a beret anyway! (unless you had a really large head...)
  14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There are canvas kilt covers in the Regimental Museum at 95 but I've not seen or heard of leather kilt covers.

BTB: Anyone who has not visited the London Scottish Museum should do so. Its open most days although its probably advisable to telephone in advance.