London - is it getting shitter?

Is London getting shitter?

• Yes. Move it to a different planet

Votes: 129 89.0%
  • No. I love it. Roll out the barrel etc.

Votes: 16 11.0%

• Total voters
The idea of driving in central London is nuts.

I used to work in Kings Cross area and was always surprised how many flash cars in N1 had rusty brakes from lack of use. Nuts!
Rapidly going that way in Edinburgh, and peak time Glasgow ain't a barrel of laughs either.
But, for me, Edinburgh driving within say 2 miles of Waverley is for 1- 7.5 tonners, Blue lights, or taxis.
Or the clinically insane. Not driven into the stations areas for ten years. In any case I live literally 5 mins stroll from the hi-speed trains to both cities, making it pointless and we are in either in less than 25 minutes, with joint discount fares equating roughly to fuel costs & parking charges anyhow.

I don't know about it getting shitter, the last x number of years have been f@cking grim for us. I suppose that being evicted three weeks ago by the council that caused all of the problems in the first place is the shittest so, maybe it is.
On a lighter note, I just got barricaded inside the Royal Courts of Justice (where I have spent most of that time trying to get my case heard by a duty judge but facing cock-up after cock-up from the Court Service) because of a 'Free Julian Assange' protest.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Londo

LE
A good mate of mine is a proper 'bow bells' lad - he's in his mid 50's now, and stayed on his home turf until the early 90's. If you get him on the subject, he goes absolutely mental. He's really upset about what has happened to the community he grew up in, which only exists now on youtube.

I guess there are two views - life goes on and things change, or it's tragic. He's firmly in the 'tragic' camp.
Don't get me started , born in Whitechapel but most my life just outside East London .
The area where I bought my house and stayed the best part of 30 years was a nice mixed vibrant borough when I first moved there .
Towards the end lets just say I stood out like a sore thumb .
So glad I have now moved .

I don't know about it getting shitter, the last x number of years have been f@cking grim for us. I suppose that being evicted three weeks ago by the council that caused all of the problems in the first place is the shittest so, maybe it is.
On a lighter note, I just got barricaded inside the Royal Courts of Justice (where I have spent most of that time trying to get my case heard by a duty judge but facing cock-up after cock-up from the Court Service) because of a 'Free Julian Assange' protest.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks to all of you and mentioning Gerry Anderson, I've just popped onto his website and spent £37 on the full Blu-Ray series of UFO.

It was for all those models you wanted as a kid, wasn't it.
Like these:
44b286df14a653249c290b2dc9681621.jpg

15221.jpg

And definitely not these:
maxresdefault.jpg

42895a4c595e5e194aab3049f3c28c39.jpg

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
And Gabrielle Drake, with the purple hair, sister of musician Nick Drake

Took the family down to watch "The Lion King" at the Lyceum three or four years ago.
Really surprising the amount of rubbish on the ground & the piles of black bags.

Import the third world, get the third world.

Standing joke down south is that Botswana's national flower is an old plastic shopping bag stuck in a fence. The mindset is that just dropping your shit on the ground creates employment and it's habit that the entire continent has become one big garbage bin. No thought of the cost of cleaning up their mess being better spent on infrastructure and education to improve things rather than clear up the shit of those too useless and stupid to keep their area clean.

Took the family down to watch "The Lion King" at the Lyceum three or four years ago.
Really surprising the amount of rubbish on the ground & the piles of black bags.
The place is largely filthy. The disgusting black carpet of chewing gum around every rail or underground station is disgusting.
Yesterday morning, I turned out of Holborn station to see a bloke with his trousers down p!ssing in the street.

Rapidly going that way in Edinburgh, and peak time Glasgow ain't a barrel of laughs either.
But, for me, Edinburgh driving within say 2 miles of Waverley is for 1- 7.5 tonners, Blue lights, or taxis.
Or the clinically insane. Not driven into the stations areas for ten years. In any case I live literally 5 mins stroll from the hi-speed trains to both cities, making it pointless and we are in either in less than 25 minutes, with joint discount fares equating roughly to fuel costs & parking charges anyhow.

I am in Edinburgh too now. I have no desire to drive into town unless I really need to. Much easier to just jump on a bus to go up town.
Personally I see Edinburgh going the same way as London. House prices are already getting too high and there seems to be building flats/houses anywhere they can. Princes Street/George st are just generic shops. Culture is being sold to the highest bidder.

colinmc400

Old-Salt
Any other towns going the same way as London?
I was very surprised when we were back in Bristol in 2019. I lived there for nearly 20 years before moving to Aus. we used to have many fun Sunday afternoons and early evenings in and around St Nicolas markets, in some of the little pubs around there. We were there on a lovely warm sunny Sunday and not one of the old places was open and the place was a right farkin state. seems like everyone has shifted down to the new shiny/soulless places along the Waterside.

There's something that really struck me about that post. It's the reference to muggings.

The concept of casual recourse to street robbery if you need to supplement your income is really telling. It's as though fellow citizens are simply walking ATMs to be accosted and plundered at will.

That kind of predatory outlook perfectly illustrates London's decline. There were always muggers, but strong arming someone in the street meant crossing a significant criminal threshold for most yobs. The police and the courts used to smash them for it too.
The last 31 days in London.

I repeat, the last 31 days.

I am in Edinburgh too now. I have no desire to drive into town unless I really need to. Much easier to just jump on a bus to go up town.
Personally I see Edinburgh going the same way as London. House prices are already getting too high and there seems to be building flats/houses anywhere they can. Princes Street/George st are just generic shops. Culture is being sold to the highest bidder.
Well,
If you happen by Falkirk or Stirling-ish hit me up.
Burger van on me!

Don't get me started , born in Whitechapel but most my life just outside East London .
The area where I bought my house and stayed the best part of 30 years was a nice mixed vibrant borough when I first moved there .
Towards the end lets just say I stood out like a sore thumb .
So glad I have now moved .

What gets me is how the accents in London have changed. My dad was very much a Londoner (family from Crystal Palace area) but he lived all over the UK but always wanted to return to London, hence the move in 1984.

Back in 2016 I was in the Pelton pub in Greenwich and I was struck by the fact that the only London accents where my dad and his small group of mates (all 60/70+). Everyone else was Kent, Home Counties, northern, etc. Everywhere but London.
Back in the 90's it would have been predominantly London accents.

I moved to London a few months before this was filmed, but it kind of sums up how I remember Greenwich Borough being like as a kid.

Greenwich was an up & coming area, and was completely different to what it is now.
I miss the rough about the edges Greenwich.

Looking back I think a lot of the blame can be pointed at the local councils selling off council/community land and buildings to developers at the expense of the community.