London - is it getting shitter?

Is London getting shitter?

• Yes. Move it to a different planet

Votes: 144 89.4%
  • No. I love it. Roll out the barrel etc.

Votes: 17 10.6%

• Total voters

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Import the third world, get the third world.

Standing joke down south is that Botswana's national flower is an old plastic shopping bag stuck in a fence. The mindset is that just dropping your shit on the ground creates employment and it's habit that the entire continent has become one big garbage bin. No thought of the cost of cleaning up their mess being better spent on infrastructure and education to improve things rather than clear up the shit of those too useless and stupid to keep their area clean.
Agreed , Central London has always been full of rich entitled foreigners who cannot understand why they cannot pile old mattresses on the pavements in London's most desirable addresses whenever they feel like it .When I lived there 'till 20 years ago , I took great pleasure in photographing them , noting their address and grassing them up .Westminster took a robust view in those days , no idea what it's like now . In W2 the worst time was normally late spring , when the Arabs would migrate in to avoid their climate and decide their flats needed all new furniture and white goods ..

Last edited:

Londo

LE
Agreed , Central London has always been full of rich entitled foreigners who cannot understand why they cannot pile old mattresses on the pavements in London's most desirable addresses whenever they feel like it .When I lived there 'till 20 years ago , I took great pleasure in photographing them , noting their address and grassing them up .Westminster took a robust view in those days , no idea what it's like now . In W2 the worst time was normally late spring , when the Arabs would migrate in to avoid their climate and decide the place needed a makeover .
Agreed . Not central London but East End . Used to see the newly arrived to this country near neighbours opening their front doors and just throw rubbish out into the street
I lived one house in from a corner and almost every morning would be a new mattress or wardrobe just dumped there . Never saw anyone do it much to my disgust .
The annoying thing is that the local council started a free bulky item's collection .
Things just seemed to get worse over the next couple of years .

Front gardens turned into rubbish tips all over the place and the worse I saw was a street away from me was a pile of mattresses in a front garden reaching up to the first floor windowsill .
Another one down our street had a pile of old furniture in the front . One night someone set light to it .
Melted the PVC front door and all the window frames , plus the guttering and also the plastic door handles and the light clusters of the nearest couple of cars .
Garden was kept relatively rubbish free after that .

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Agreed . Not central London but East End . Used to see the newly arrived to this country near neighbours opening their front doors and just throw rubbish out into the street
I lived one house in from a corner and almost every morning would be a new mattress or wardrobe just dumped there . Never saw anyone do it much to my disgust .
The annoying thing is that the local council started a free bulky item's collection .

Front gardens turned into rubbish tips all over the place and the worse I saw was a street away from me was a pile of mattresses in a front garden reaching up to the first floor windowsill .
Another one down our street had a pile of old furniture in the front . One night someone set light to it .
Melted the PVC front door and all the window frames , plus the guttering and also the plastic door handles and the light clusters of the nearest couple of cars .
Was it you?

Londo

LE
Was it you?
We actually saw the fire brigade show up to fight the blaze and the wife said that if I hadn't been in the room with her for the previous couple of hours she would have thought I did it from comments I had made in the past whenever we walked past :-D

Niamac

GCM
stuff me thats old
doe sit fire cannonballs ?
That's not old; this is old.

Lanchester 3.JPG

Some years ago I needed a new radiator so got a plumber in to do the work. He told me to leave the old one against the fence at the side of the road and the pikeys* would take it. Not that I really believed him, I did do, and it was gone even before he'd fitted the new radiator.

*They may well have been scrap metal dealers, and not necessarily pikies, but I do regularly see flatbed trucks driving around with old washing machines and fridges and other scrap loaded up on them.

Some years ago I needed a new radiator so got a plumber in to do the work. He told me to leave the old one against the fence at the side of the road and the pikeys* would take it. Not that I really believed him, I did do, and it was gone even before he'd fitted the new radiator.

*They may well have been scrap metal dealers, and not necessarily pikies, but I do regularly see flatbed trucks driving around with old washing machines and fridges and other scrap loaded up on them.
I had just finished wiring in, and connecting up my daughters new electric cooker, when we heard a truck pull up outside, by the time i got to the front door, the old cooker, i had lugged outside about 30 minutes before, had gone. The tatters do regular patrols around these parts about 3 times a week, They are well known and provide a valuable service, as the council charge to take it away. A few weeks later the same ones i stopped when up town and gave them my address, they turned up the following day and took away some old radiators. (We upgraded for more modern efficient ones).

Londo

LE

Used to do the same with anything metal . Just leave it in the garden and gone in a couple of hours which was nice ..
Stopped doing that once the Roma took over the area they just took with no asking .

One night my neighbours garden gate was stolen along with my brass bell push which measured 1" X 3" which must have been worth almost nothing as scrap put would have cost me about £10 to replace . Just replaced it with a cheap plastic one .

Latest Threads