London - is it getting shitter?

Is London getting shitter?

• Yes. Move it to a different planet

Votes: 126 88.7%
  • No. I love it. Roll out the barrel etc.

Votes: 16 11.3%

• Total voters
How about finding convenient garaging (perhaps another scout group) outside the charge-area then using public-transport to get there? After all, using a minibus within the coverage of tubes and trains is unnecessary, so why not lob the tents in the boot of someones car and take the scouts on a tube/bus, all to the minibus?
That's not a bad idea. We used to go to a campsite in Epping you could get to (almost) by tube & a short bus ride.
My dad's troop used to go by train & also handcart!

Poppy

LE
That's not a bad idea. We used to go to a campsite in Epping you could get to (almost) by tube & a short bus ride.
My dad's troop used to go by train & also handcart!
is that Debden House? I've camped there - my friend thinks the security is to heavy handed though - they may be big scary fijiians...........

Yes! precisely!
It's an excellent site. It has a separate scout/guide/youth club field other fields ranging from flat to sloped to small.
It does need the security sadly. We stopped going there about 6-7 years ago, spate of thieves/vandals coming in from the woods, the kids got scared.
I hope the security has worked.

is that Debden House? I've camped there - my friend thinks the security is to heavy handed though - they may be big scary fijiians...........
Fire fields everytime. even though it's little, odd & slopey, I preferred field 2 (?) by myself, or the field in the corner, far left, if with a group

Troy

LE
except for Balmoral and Sandringham which HM The Queen owns, all the other palaces and castles are owned by the Crown Estate like a Council House, Her Majesty gets the use of them but does not own them
Who owns the Crown Estate? Is it the Queen?

Tool

LE
Who owns the Crown Estate? Is it the Queen?
Yerp, and nah...

The Crown Estate belongs to the reigning monarch 'in right of The Crown', that is, it is owned by the monarch for the duration of their reign, by virtue of their accession to the throne. But it is not the private property of the monarch - it cannot be sold by the monarch, nor do revenues from it belong to the monarch.
The Government also does not own The Crown Estate. It is managed by an independent organisation - established by statute - headed by a Board (also known as The Crown Estate Commissioners), and the surplus revenue from the estate is paid each year to the Treasury for the benefit of the nation's finances.

From FAQs | The Crown Estate

Troy

LE
Yerp, and nah...

The Crown Estate belongs to the reigning monarch 'in right of The Crown', that is, it is owned by the monarch for the duration of their reign, by virtue of their accession to the throne. But it is not the private property of the monarch - it cannot be sold by the monarch, nor do revenues from it belong to the monarch.
The Government also does not own The Crown Estate. It is managed by an independent organisation - established by statute - headed by a Board (also known as The Crown Estate Commissioners), and the surplus revenue from the estate is paid each year to the Treasury for the benefit of the nation's finances.

Thank you.

Yerp, and nah...

A bit like a council house then, while the tenant is in occupation, its theirs, but maintained by the council, or in Betty's case the crown estates commissioners. And when she kark's it, the next tenant moves in, probably charlie and his bint..... but with one big massive difference.....no rent is paid...... ;) not bad for a family of multi-millionaires..... with no discernible useful talents.....just saying like.....

Tool

LE
A bit like a council house then, while the tenant is in occupation, its theirs, but maintained by the council, or in Betty's case the crown estates commissioners. And when she kark's it, the next tenant moves in, probably charlie and his bint..... but with one big massive difference.....no rent is paid...... ;) not bad for a family of multi-millionaires..... with no discernible useful talents.....just saying like.....
Yerp, just like a horde of chav's. Except for "surplus revenue from the estate is paid each year to the Treasury". And (most of) Betty's brood pay for repairs themselves. Also, the chances of "open house" and the neighborhood wandering in, stealing the plastic spoons and swigging all the beer in the fridge are reduced.

Yes, I'll get a sense of humour (some time in the future). Stores refuses to let me have the last one they have.

If you want more stories to tell……..

I wanted to conduct a staff ride/leaving do through London in my last job in the Army. We were all MB/RPB dwellers.

Did some research and now I do 2 tours (give me time and I hope it will be more) as follows:

1. The Zeppelin Walk - which follows (on the ground obvs) the bombing run of a particular Zeppelin that carried out the most destructive raid in London in 1915.

From the start point in Holborn up to the end at Finsbury Circus (not Finsbury Park) it is steeped in history, such as where Cromwell is said to be buried, the piece of grass where A Comedy of Errors was first performed and about another 50 nuggets of info yet alone the bomb damage still visible from said raid. Good pub stops along the way depending on the ‘type’ of staff ride/leaving do, and dare I say, rank structure of the group! By that I mean the higher the ranks the more pissed everyone seems to get! I have conducted about 8 tours of the Zeppelin Walk to date. Can cost circa £600 from a tour guide, I do it for expenses and enjoyment only.

2. Military memorial walk. From the Cenotaph and ending up at the Bomber Command Memorial taking in 40 well know and not so well known military memorials with again, a heap of factoids etc. Brilliant pub at ENDEX which was an old Guards Officers Mess during the time of Wellington. 50 bonus points if anyone can name it. It is more fun than you think!

I have recently relocated to Yorkshire but still less than 3 hours to get from my gaff to Holborn.

If anyone wants a staff ride, leaving do or even an Arrse crawl with a bit of a difference drop me a PM.

Each walk starts around midday and complete by 1630 for your festivities to commence.

Yes, I live on the edge.

According to my little friend Mr. Google the pub is called The Grenadier. Which in retrospect should be obvious. Still, interesting ideas for the tours. The current wife is into all the tour stuff when visiting foreign locales (London is such these days) which was a new idea to me, and one which I can safely say was one of her better ideas, having done it Rome, Venice, Amsterdam, er, Doha etc.

According to my little friend Mr. Google the pub is called The Grenadier. Which in retrospect should be obvious. Still, interesting ideas for the tours. The current wife is into all the tour stuff when visiting foreign locales (London is such these days) which was a new idea to me, and one which I can safely say was one of her better ideas, having done it Rome, Venice, Amsterdam, er, Doha etc.
You are correct, the pub is the Grenadier which is another one of London’s ‘best kept secrets’ etc.

Unfortunately you forfeit the 50 points I offered because you used Google.

The judges (me) decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.