London - is it getting shitter?

Is London getting shitter?

• Yes. Move it to a different planet

Votes: 130 89.0%
  • No. I love it. Roll out the barrel etc.

Votes: 16 11.0%

• Total voters
I like visiting London for a weekend every few months but would not live there for all the money in Indo China. I feel I would be safer wearing a Liverpool top in a rough pub in Salford on a busy Saturday night after Liverpool have just thrashed Utd at Old Trafford.

You must be really blind to the zeitgeist. I'll give you a couple of examples. The tearing down of the Colston statue and the call to remove the statue of Nelson from Trafalgar Square. The attempt by the campaign group Rhodes Must Fall to have the Cecil Rhodes statue removed from Oriel College in Oxford. All these are attempts to remove references to British history. It is what invading armies around the world have done since time immemorial. Remove and destroy important cultural and religious icons and replace them. ISIS did exactly the same thing in Syria and Iraq by dynamiting and bulldozing archaeological sites of historical importance. One specific example being the Temple of Baalshamin.

It is not just statues though. London Mayor Sadiq Khan's ‘Commission for Diversity in the Public Realm’ aims to rename various London streets to 'decolonise' the capital. I fail to see how an English city is a British colony but there is a clear agenda here. This is all cancel culture. Remove and destroy references to aspects of British history that don't suit the current woke narrative.
Well said. Perhaps we should erect a 'green wall' around this incursive enclave to protect the rest of the nation?

We could call the alien area something consistent with its overcrowded, noisy and smelly status. How about 'The Congested Zone' or something similar?

Londo

LE
That's the bit I don't get, why won't the government restrict the use of postal voting

It's in their power to do something about it
Can you imagine the screams of racism if they did .

To an uncomfortable extent the shrieking classes have already won. Any Government attempting to do anything along the lines of rein in benefits expenditure, remove and / or restrict entry to the country by illegals, adopt a policy that benefits society but is being used to the advantage of (insert minority group here), stamp out the other, more prevalent forms of racism or religious intolerance and, well, anything else that would be on the agenda in any sane society is going to get absolutely shredded. They very simply don’t have the bollocks for it.

We are being governed to the requirements of a very narrow agenda from a very small but vocal group of ideologues who’d be out of work overnight if anyone ever got around to putting this shite to bed once and for all.
I disagree with this. Imo, the power of the shrieking liberals is akin to the power of the trade unions in the 60s and 70s, and most people back then probably thought there was no hope of ever curbing it. All it took was one determined politician with iron balls.

There's no power that can't be broken.

Well said. Perhaps we should erect a 'green wall' around this incursive enclave to protect the rest of the nation?

We could call the alien area something consistent with its overcrowded, noisy and smelly status. How about 'The Congested Zone' or something similar?
How about District 9 (kudos to Neill Blomkamp).

1635082371530.jpeg

Old mate of mine [let's call him Roger] is a scout leader in North London.

When the last congestion charge was brought in their old LDV diesel minibus was hit by the LEZ charge [2008] and the options were to buy a more modern bus (£20,000+) or pay to have the engine upgraded with a catalytic converter etc at £4,000.

They eventually raised the cash to but a new bus with the aid of an award from the National Lottery.

Now they have to have a Euro VI Minibus to continue operating. This will cost £35,000 and their existing bus cannot be upgraded as it's too old and "not compatible" with the requirements of Euro VI.

Bear in mind that the Scout bus is used to give kids in deprived areas holidays, adventures and weekends away. They have written to Sadiq Khan and received nothing more than a form letter signed by a minion to the effect that the The Mayor is aware of some difficulties but the priority is to reduce vehicle pollution within the capital which is responsible for over 1,000 deaths per year ..."

As if a scout minibus that does 8,000 miles per year is going to make a big difference. The bus has been used to take the kids for trips to e.g. Wales and the Lake District.

Rog has had enough and the scout group may be disbanded next year.
How about finding convenient garaging (perhaps another scout group) outside the charge-area then using public-transport to get there? After all, using a minibus within the coverage of tubes and trains is unnecessary, so why not lob the tents in the boot of someones car and take the scouts on a tube/bus, all to the minibus?

This is a distorted version of the story reported in the Standard. No mention of street renaming.

It is a good idea to tell unknown stories of London and Londoners. Since Covid killed the tourist trade I have been driving a London Bus. There are some great stories on my route. The poncy gated community occupied by bankers, pops stars and footballers, that was once the asylem that held Jack the Ripper and Sapper Dorothy Lawrence. The first fighter pilot to shoot down an ME109 in the Battle of Britain. Dick Turpin.and George Frederich Handel. The home of the Die Hards and BFPO London and North London's most successful football team in recent years - Saracens . 221 Turnpike Lane to Edgware – Busmans Holiday

I'd like more stories to tell. I'd like to know how it was that the Turks settled in Green Lanes and why the Jews colonised Edgware - the closest place to Tel Aviv you can get in the Uk. - according to the Jewish Chronicle.
If you want more stories to tell……..

I wanted to conduct a staff ride/leaving do through London in my last job in the Army. We were all MB/RPB dwellers.

Did some research and now I do 2 tours (give me time and I hope it will be more) as follows:

1. The Zeppelin Walk - which follows (on the ground obvs) the bombing run of a particular Zeppelin that carried out the most destructive raid in London in 1915.

From the start point in Holborn up to the end at Finsbury Circus (not Finsbury Park) it is steeped in history, such as where Cromwell is said to be buried, the piece of grass where A Comedy of Errors was first performed and about another 50 nuggets of info yet alone the bomb damage still visible from said raid. Good pub stops along the way depending on the ‘type’ of staff ride/leaving do, and dare I say, rank structure of the group! By that I mean the higher the ranks the more pissed everyone seems to get! I have conducted about 8 tours of the Zeppelin Walk to date. Can cost circa £600 from a tour guide, I do it for expenses and enjoyment only.

2. Military memorial walk. From the Cenotaph and ending up at the Bomber Command Memorial taking in 40 well know and not so well known military memorials with again, a heap of factoids etc. Brilliant pub at ENDEX which was an old Guards Officers Mess during the time of Wellington. 50 bonus points if anyone can name it. It is more fun than you think!

I have recently relocated to Yorkshire but still less than 3 hours to get from my gaff to Holborn.

If anyone wants a staff ride, leaving do or even an Arrse crawl with a bit of a difference drop me a PM.

Each walk starts around midday and complete by 1630 for your festivities to commence.

Yes, I live on the edge.

I disagree with this. Imo, the power of the shrieking liberals is akin to the power of the trade unions in the 60s and 70s, and most people back then probably thought there was no hope of ever curbing it. All it took was one determined politician with iron balls.

There's no power that can't be broken.
Absolutely. It’s just we don’t currently have a suitably betesticaled politician.

When we do, it’ll stop. Until then they’re largely in the ascendancy.

How about finding convenient garaging (perhaps another scout group) outside the charge-area then using public-transport to get there? After all, using a minibus within the coverage of tubes and trains is unnecessary, so why not lob the tents in the boot of someones car and take the scouts on a tube/bus, all to the minibus?
Tank of juice for a minibus for a round trip, door to door, £70 appx. Cost of 20+ kids on the tube from A-B at least £3 each + Adult. cost of train from central city to the coast, £10+ each kid, = +£200. Bus from station at destination town to venue, another £40

Tube £60+
Train £200+
Bus to venue £40+
Total cost £300+

Last edited:
Tank of juice for a minibus for a round trip, door to door, £70 appx. Cost of 20+ kids on the tube from A-B at least £3 each + Adult. cost of train from central city to the coast, £10+ each kid, = +£200. Bus from station at destination town to venue, another £40

Total cost:-
Tube £60+
Train £200+
Bus to venue £40+
Total cost £300+
I suggested garaging the minibus outside the charge zone, not binning it completely.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer

Tube £60+
Train £200+
Bus to venue £40+
Total cost £300+
THat looks a little expensive, KIds go free ion a bus or tram if they have a young persons oyster card. Group trravel for groups over 10 offer C 25% discount. That would bring the cost of a cheap return ticket to e.g. Brighton down to C 7.50. Bus travel

The true cost of a minibus journey is greater than the cost of the fuel. There is the overhead of running it - servicing, road tax, repairs, insurance, breakdown cover - and of course the rules changing. .

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
If you want more stories to tell……..

I wanted to conduct a staff ride/leaving do through London in my last job in the Army. We were all MB/RPB dwellers.

Did some research and now I do 2 tours (give me time and I hope it will be more) as follows:

1. The Zeppelin Walk - which follows (on the ground obvs) the bombing run of a particular Zeppelin that carried out the most destructive raid in London in 1915.

From the start point in Holborn up to the end at Finsbury Circus (not Finsbury Park) it is steeped in history, such as where Cromwell is said to be buried, the piece of grass where A Comedy of Errors was first performed and about another 50 nuggets of info yet alone the bomb damage still visible from said raid. Good pub stops along the way depending on the ‘type’ of staff ride/leaving do, and dare I say, rank structure of the group! By that I mean the higher the ranks the more pissed everyone seems to get! I have conducted about 8 tours of the Zeppelin Walk to date. Can cost circa £600 from a tour guide, I do it for expenses and enjoyment only.

2. Military memorial walk. From the Cenotaph and ending up at the Bomber Command Memorial taking in 40 well know and not so well known military memorials with again, a heap of factoids etc. Brilliant pub at ENDEX which was an old Guards Officers Mess during the time of Wellington. 50 bonus points if anyone can name it. It is more fun than you think!

I have recently relocated to Yorkshire but still less than 3 hours to get from my gaff to Holborn.

If anyone wants a staff ride, leaving do or even an Arrse crawl with a bit of a difference drop me a PM.

Each walk starts around midday and complete by 1630 for your festivities to commence.

Yes, I live on the edge.

There are a lot of battlefield walks and battlefield studies in and around London

• Britons v Caeser's romans in an ancient opposed river crossing BC 55 - Brentford.
  • Battle of Barnet 1471 and the defence of the city against the navy 1471
  • Action on Blackheath - the Cornish march on London 1497
  • Battle of Brentford and the biggest battle that never was at Turnham Green 1642
  • Parliaments fortifications of London
  • There are quite a few zeppelin walks.
  • Battleof Britian and the Blitzes.
  • Battle of the Atlantic HMS Belfast and HQS Wellington
There are loads of memrial trails too.

THat looks a little expensive, KIds go free ion a bus or tram if they have a young persons oyster card. Group trravel for groups over 10 offer C 25% discount. That would bring the cost of a cheap return ticket to e.g. Brighton down to C 7.50. Bus travel

The true cost of a minibus journey is greater than the cost of the fuel. There is the overhead of running it - servicing, road tax, repairs, insurance, breakdown cover - and of course the rules changing. .
You are of course correct, I forgot about reduced or free rides for kids under a certain age. Being of a prehistoric era, i get concessionary travel on trains, buses and trams. :p

Latest Threads