London - is it getting shitter?

Is London getting shitter?

• Yes. Move it to a different planet

Votes: 130 89.0%
  • No. I love it. Roll out the barrel etc.

Votes: 16 11.0%

• Total voters
That is the point. The "schmucks" may pay some of the bills, but the largest single contributors to GDP, income tax and corporation tax are from the City. You don't suffer, you are subsidised.

Now don't get me wrong, there are a fair few in the City making a decent wage, but they contribute loads too. Lose them at your peril.

The_Duke
City worker
Taxed to **** and Bar
Hypothetical question:- If you remove all the dirty money, from organised crime, Domestic and foreign and corrupt foreign governments that is filtered through the city, realistically how much revenue would the exchequer lose?

That is the point. The "schmucks" may pay some of the bills, but the largest single contributors to GDP, income tax and corporation tax are from the City. You don't suffer, you are subsidised.

Now don't get me wrong, there are a fair few in the City making a decent wage, but they contribute loads too. Lose them at your peril.

The_Duke
City worker
Taxed to **** and Bar
One of the reasons we let London be is for this reason. Apart from some capital city aberrations like Washington DC and Canberra, most capital cities (despite the complaints from the other compatriots) add to the country’s GDP (I recently read that Berlin is a stubborn, consistent city that proves the rule).
London: shithole where the Queen lives. No reason for me to ever go there again.
If I want to go to a noisy, smelly, vibrant shithole where I am not understood, nor understand the local babble, I can go there on foot quite easily.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
wanna bet, he's a person most suited for the label" Diverse" first a bloke, second, loved meeting the ladies on dark misty nights, third, wasn't at the least concerned about their morals, (Woke)treated them equally all the same. (feminist) A psychopath, ( Mental health) possibly of ethnic origin.( Foreign) Known throughout the east end, and all of london, and went on to become a national, and eventually a world wide known and feared individual.( newsworthy) Also part of the history and folk law of the east london. ( Local celebrity) Ticks all the boxes. :twisted::frustrated:
Could also apply to Fagin!

The_Duke

LE
Hypothetical question:- If you remove all the dirty money, from organised crime, Domestic and foreign and corrupt foreign governments that is filtered through the city, realistically how much revenue would the exchequer lose?
Hard to say. Some, but not as much as you would think. Anti money laundering is getting stricter and stricter, and the fines are huge. Why risk it in a highly regulated financial environment when you can do so somewhere else where they have more blind eyes than St Dunstans?

I work in the City, my wife works in the west end near Holborn. We commute in now, but used to live in SW London. We still take our kids into London for meals, entertainment, shopping, history etc. I just avoid the shitty bits.

I do the same when I visit other cities around the world. Chicago is one of my all time favourite cities to visit (along with Vancouver), but I know there are places to go and places to avoid. It doesn't make the whole city bad.

No-one will ever know. With our love of money being kept in accounts in other places and a few K getting you a game of tennis with the PM, it seems pretty murky to this man on the street.

Hard to say. Some, but not as much as you would think. Anti money laundering is getting stricter and stricter, and the fines are huge. Why risk it in a highly regulated financial environment when you can do so somewhere else where they have more blind eyes than St Dunstans?

I work in the City, my wife works in the west end near Holborn. We commute in now, but used to live in SW London. We still take our kids into London for meals, entertainment, shopping, history etc. I just avoid the shitty bits.

I do the same when I visit other cities around the world. Chicago is one of my all time favourite cities to visit (along with Vancouver), but I know there are places to go and places to avoid. It doesn't make the whole city bad.
A city is only as good as the people that inhabit-work in it, and my experience of the CoL goes back 50+
years, It has always been geared to money, that is its prime function.

Back in the stone age, as an apprentice, and a qualified tradesman it was a pleasant and welcoming place to work. Now, decades later, with global instant communications it has morphed into a manic monster. The atmosphere is now of corporate greed and fast frantic self enhancement, whatever the cost, mostly to the determent of Mr average. I last worked on the Willis building,( New build) about 15 years ago, next to the lloyds building. My 3 months their convinced me that moving out years before was probably the best decision as a civvie i ever made. 3 months was all i could tolerate.(I was staying at the ancestral home i was brought up in , in north east london) To reiterate, "The worlds biggest open air lunatic asylum." You know the rest......

The_Duke

LE
So you never actually worked in financial services, but did some work in the buildings there. Doesn’t exactly sound like the basis for an in depth understanding of how the City works.

I started there over 30 years ago, and the main difference has been from personal to corporate - Lloyd’s names were the basis of the market then, now it is corporate backers. It was personal or large corporate investors, now venture capital companies etc.

Bottom line - the City has always been about money, both corporate and personal. It is now far more regulated than it ever was, and everything is subject to multiple levels of compliance scrutiny.

We were approaching London for the first time with our young kids in the back of the car.

“What’s that awful smell?”
”That’s London,“ we said.​
”Do we have to stay long?”

Yep, dirty, smelly, noisy, outrageously expensive and completely divorced from mainstream British reality. That’s our capital city these days.

The Queen spends most of her time in Winsor. Probably because she thinks London is a shithole.
The Royal Family have got houses everywhere, but like all rich people have no taste. Balmoral, Sandringham, Windsor, the complaints go on…
The Queen (with her Windsor gaff) even has a Slough postcode.

We were approaching London for the first time with our young kids in the back of the car.

“What’s that awful smell?”
”That’s London,“ we said.​
”Do we have to stay long?”

Yep, dirty, smelly, noisy, outrageously expensive and completely divorced from mainstream British reality. That’s our capital city these days.
I was down there on Monday on my bike and can confirm London smells of chicken shops and weed. Mind once that ULEZ crap starts and with the ever increasing fuel price the roads will be clearer more room for citizen khans dads busses.

So you never actually worked in financial services, but did some work in the buildings there. Doesn’t exactly sound like the basis for an in depth understanding of how the City works.

I started there over 30 years ago, and the main difference has been from personal to corporate - Lloyd’s names were the basis of the market then, now it is corporate backers. It was personal or large corporate investors, now venture capital companies etc.

Bottom line - the City has always been about money, both corporate and personal. It is now far more regulated than it ever was, and everything is subject to multiple levels of compliance scrutiny.
You are correct about my scanty knowledge of how the money men function. My observations were taken watching their body language, and demeanor when confronted by a few of us chaps in our working clothes. and their language when they deemed to talk to us. I do understand that they have high powered and highly paid jobs. But the underling attitude was that we were somehow of a much lower life form, and as stated up-thread, i referred to them as suits, and office wallahs, a derogatory term immediately understood by all in the construction industry.

My financial dealings with banks and insurance firms are of the domestic sort, at grass roots level they are extremely mercenary, and see Mr homeowner as a ready source of money manipulation, always to their advantage. Ramp up this thought to the corporate offices in the CoL, nothing changes, only the uniform.

Example, after 40 years with the same insurance firm, we had a pipe burst, one that was set in the concrete slab of the ground floor, which resulted in blown plaster work, mold, and the boiler out of commission for 4 months, and their reply, was "we cannot help you, call British gas" , 40 years and only 5 claims.
same with Nat West, they buggered me about with charges, insisted i open a business account, which i did not need or require, ( Not VAT registered) i closed and moved my account.

Bankers, politicians, lawyers and certain aspects of organised religion are reviled and are seen as corrupt, avaricious venal and un-trustworthy. This will never change, and today with all the problems confronting Mr Joe Average, which to most seems to be deteriorating by the week, the old adage that the rich get richer, while the poor get poorer, has never been better illustrated. George Suros is a classic example, making millions out of disaster. and despair.

Politicians, and by association, the banks should be working for the common good, for all, and not as it seems, a privileged monied elite. The country is in the shit, who runs it, and who ultimately finances it.? Westminster and The city of london. ..... The prosecution rests its case M'lud. :salut:

You are correct about my scanty knowledge of how the money men function. My observations were taken watching their body language, and demeanor when confronted by a few of us chaps in our working clothes. and their language when they deemed to talk to us. I do understand that they have high powered and highly paid jobs. But the underling attitude was that we were somehow of a much lower life form, and as stated up-thread, i referred to them as suits, and office wallahs, a derogatory term immediately understood by all in the construction industry.

My financial dealings with banks and insurance firms are of the domestic sort, at grass roots level they are extremely mercenary, and see Mr homeowner as a ready source of money manipulation, always to their advantage. Ramp up this thought to the corporate offices in the CoL, nothing changes, only the uniform.

Example, after 40 years with the same insurance firm, we had a pipe burst, one that was set in the concrete slab of the ground floor, which resulted in blown plaster work, mold, and the boiler out of commission for 4 months, and their reply, was "we cannot help you, call British gas" , 40 years and only 5 claims.
same with Nat West, they buggered me about with charges, insisted i open a business account, which i did not need or require, ( Not VAT registered) i closed and moved my account.

Bankers, politicians, lawyers and certain aspects of organised religion are reviled and are seen as corrupt, avaricious venal and un-trustworthy. This will never change, and today with all the problems confronting Mr Joe Average, which to most seems to be deteriorating by the week, the old adage that the rich get richer, while the poor get poorer, has never been better illustrated. George Suros is a classic example, making millions out of disaster. and despair.

Politicians, and by association, the banks should be working for the common good, for all, and not as it seems, a privileged monied elite. The country is in the shit, who runs it, and who ultimately finances it.? Westminster and The city of london. ..... The prosecution rests its case M'lud. :salut:
Alright, geez, don’t burst one mate.
You have settled in the Creative County. Where the beer is bostin. The climate is like nothing else. They make pots and chains (the West Midlands can **** off). The county of Walton, Johnson and Peel.
You doth stride Gods own soil, and we sons of Staffordshire are happy that you do so. Could you just keep it down a bit?

quilter

War Hero
Morden for me, the quiet end too and only 10 minute walk from the Underground. When we have visitors from the sticks who don't know the routine round here they are amazed that we have a 24x7 bus service, even on Sundays they just roll by and so no need to check times, just tip up at the bus stop and one will be along soon enough. I'm not sure what time the Northern Line runs from and to but whatever it is it is there when I need it. Likewise for shops, pubs, petrol stations etc. 24x7. GP, dentist and the like just phone and get something that day or maybe the next. Two giant hospitals in easy distance and Bisley an easy drive down the A3 for me.

Tonight though there is no travel involved, I'll be ordering my curry for delivery in about an hour.
Me Morden also, how abaht that!
NB, Morden Underground being the terminus means obv an empty train every time, sooo convenient. Cheers:grin:

The_Duke

LE

It’s ok. I think all building trades are thieving shits. Turn up, squeeze an hours work in between tea breaks, lunch, “nipping off for some supplies”, reading the paper etc, and then rob you blind for it. All of them no better than the pikies down the road, just slightly better vans sometimes.

Easy to generalise.

To me what has changed (and from an insider perspective) is the Corporate BS; mission statements, team building days, pretending you love the company etc. Having spent 14 years at S&P I liked it at the start, (in the City) you went and did your job and everyone bundled off to the pub sharpish come Friday COB. By the end (now in Docklands) it felt suffocating, stultifying and Borg like. Even in the coffee areas there were posters to with model look non-employees with a smile of impeccable tombstone white teeth telling you how they loved the company. you might think the telly on the wall would give a welcome relief, only to be confronted with Bloomberg TV. Friday COB was bugger off home shaprish time too, escaping the cubicle farm in the worker bee colony known as Canary Wharf was the only thing on people's minds.

Also those I worked for prior to S&P were in the City, do your job and avoid Friday afternoon meetings so as to be ready for a quick decamp to the pub. I liked those days too.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Nobody is interested in British history anymore unless it is to tell everyone how awful the British were, and still are. The people responsible for this loathe Britain and its history. Britishness, British history and culture must be eroded, cancelled, wiped out and replaced in favour of foreign culture at all cost.
Bollocks.

This evening I was in a pub in CLerenewell discussing local London history with poeple from across northern London with a passionate interest in British and Irish history. I learned about the industry of Tottenham and the inside story of the Colney Hatch asylum from a man whose mother and great aunts were in patients. They were intersted in the story of family members who served in the Great War.

I work with people from across the globe who settled in Britian because they have a high regard for its values and appreciate the warmth and tolerance of most of its inhabitents. (One Roumanian told me that Britian was great because here, people were not predudiced against Roma. I hadn't the heart to tell him that was only true in London...)

Givve me some evidence to support your claim.

Last edited:

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've intermittently lived, worked and studied across much of London over 20 years. Also in some other major cities around the world. I'm always bemused when non-Londoners or non-Brits are so enamoured by it, but that is probably because familiarity breeds contempt.

London gets shitter as you get older. Possibly all cities do. For most people, the pro/con balance of cities when younger is preferable than when older. Personally I think London is in the bottom third of major cities I've lived in, but objectively, compared to the others, it has a balance of terrible points (transport) and great ones (food and arts), as do the others. Had I lived in any one of those cities over the same period instead of London, my bet is I would have thought it had got shitter as I got older too.

If you were in the Army, you are also probably five times as likely (source: my arrse) to think this as the average punter, because you consciously chose and presumably favour an active and outdoors style life, which is not a strength of any city anywhere.

Latest Threads