London - is it getting shitter?

Is London getting shitter?

• Yes. Move it to a different planet

Votes: 130 89.0%
  • No. I love it. Roll out the barrel etc.

Votes: 16 11.0%

• Total voters

Poppy

LE
The press keep on referring to "moped crime" - but they are in fact riding scooters.

Yes, I know that I am a pedant - and am also a keen follower of the "Love my motorcycle" forum.
there was a moped crimewave but the media has moved on to scooters now - do keep up everyone. The media has to find different ways to scare people!

Old Scribes

Old-Salt
there was a moped crimewave but the media has moved on to scooters now - do keep up everyone. The media has to find different ways to scare people!
The media was referring to "moped crime" and showing photographs of scooters (petrol powered vehicles without a method of pedal power). The "scooters" that they are currently reporting are largely "e-scooters".

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
What's the latest on the moped crime wave by the way?
The nasty little shits are using them to attack cyclists and steal high end pushbikes
Using big swords and choppers of course, mainly around Richmond park
What is required is for a few cyclists to get together and purchase an old German barge 5 series etc
Then sit back and wait for the robbery, and then drive into and over the scumbefore they can get back to the Roehampton estate
Fight fire with fire

Moped crime was rife in my neck of the woods for a while.
Then someone high up must have had good dose of common sense, A couple of incidents of plod driving into them and knocking them off, and they soon got the message.
It still happens but it used to be on a daily basis.

you could start with spelling "capital" in the British rather than American way :)

I know what you mean - I live in London and the rest of the country is like a different country. I'll have to learn to acclimatise when I retire to the seaside! The tourist parts of London, Buckingham Palace, St Pauls, Westminster Abbey etc are symbols of Britain but I'm not sure how they are relevant to someone living in eg Cumbria or Dorset

Ta. Amended.

I’m a bet crop at speeling!

The tourist parts of London, Buckingham Palace, St Pauls, Westminster Abbey etc are symbols of Britain but I'm not sure how they are relevant to someone living in eg Cumbria or Dorset
I was cooking dinner earlier, whilst, in the background my missus watched/ dozed through a thoroughly set-my-teeth-on-edge biography of Princesses Marina and Alexandra,

One of whom was lauded for choosing to wear cotton garments, thereby - at a single stroke of sacrifice (Royalty never having previously lowered themselves to attire made of such a Commoner's fabric) - she single-handedly reprieved the English cotton industry from its imminent and unavoidable demise.

Outside Westminster Abbey, there's a statue of a mailed geezer on a horse.

Supposedly he represents something uniquely and powerfully Britiish (or, less dishonestly, English) despite the fact that he was not born in these isles, spoke the English language of his time only with difficulty and spent (from memory) less than 12 months of his time as crowned monarch of this country actually within its borders.

Stitch those vignettes together, however roughly, and what you get is that much of what makes London tourist-attractive, and a source of National Pride serves also to reinforce the absurd notion that our nation is Great mainly because of the sacrifice and commitment of a god-like, god-given aristo class.

Cotton dresses.​
How brave of you my dear . . .​
I suppose you had to walk about in the Regent's Park (now that the Public can get in) to be seen by the hoi-polloi . . .​
How utterly, utterly dreadful​

Last edited:
Just wait 'til someone paints one green...

Poppy

LE

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
have you seen the price of bikes these days?
Mine was about a grand 15 years ago, it's the cycling equivalent of a Bedford truck
But it's used most days
The cycles that are being stolen are 5 to 15 grand time trialling and road racing machines
Lots of the top club cyclists train in Richmond park
The Roehampton Estate, which has several access points to the park has the usual demographic living there
Workshy feral Hood wearing drug using scum
Especially the tower blocks by the limb fitting centre

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Depends where you go though, Evans is the London chain isn’t it
Many of the machines being targeted are not the type sold through stores
Usually built to order, London also has several small cycle makers who produce competition machines
Pinarelos are quite popular, and I have seen a few Ferrari cycles being raced
They never target me!!
Mind my bike weighs around 30kg,it would be funny to watch them try to shoulder that and scoot off

Bike thieves you say?

Effing bring it on.

fahrrad_mit_panzerfaust.jpg

I did mine there. I believe the reverse into a shop window without stalling is no longer part of the test.
The Group H Tracked Vehicle Licence (or whatever it is now, Class 126(b).q/6z?) no longer includes extracting a cash point machine from the CoOp wall without damaging the adjacent eggs stand either.